Chips replacement?

Options
Why must everyone put chips out at parties, and why must I always eat them? I KNOW they are a trigger food. I just can't help myself. How do you control yourself at parties and cookouts?

Replies

• lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    discipline...lol...try quaker mini rice cakes or veggie chips
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If it's a potluck type event, bring big trays of raw veggies and fruits or a yummy salad, and load up on them so that you're at least snacking socially and don't feel awkward or left out. And you can always plan for and allow a small serving of chips if you really love them, count out how many you've planned to allow yourself (if you plan to eat none, and you can't resist, you're more likely to throw caution to the wind and forget your diet altogether) and put them on a little paper plate and then promptly move awaaay from the bowl.
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As of late, (even though still not completely healthy) I've been having special k chips instead. They somewhat remind me of the potato sticks in a can..
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    That has been a HUGE problem for me. I love potato in any form...especially the least healthy ones...lol. I just challenge the will power when I'm at a party and hope there's a veggie tray. I also no longer buy them for the house. For times that I really want some, I eat a couple sour cream and onion mini rice cakes. I also try to carry a healthy snack with me when I know I'm going to be out for a bit or going to a bbq. Good luck, honestly will power is your best bet. I made the conscious decision that it wasn't worth it, and that seems to do it for me most of the time.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I make a beeline for the carrots and celery tray.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Offer to bring a snack and bring a healthy snack, like a veggie tray, that you can indulge in. Also, talk some will power into yourself before you go! Parties are horrible for me but I just try to fill up on the healthy stuff or I eat before I go :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I take something that I know I can eat that other people might enjoy, too. Last time I made a salmon dip and I used raw veggies to dip in it. Everyone else used crackers.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Popcorn!! =) I like to take those Ranch mix packets and put that on their. Yummmm =D
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I eat the Special K cracker chips every once in a while. They are made with whole grain and brown rice so it is a tad healthier and they taste really good!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Eat a single serving and move onto vegies ( single serving for the chips I normaly eat is about 15 chips and thats plenty IMO so I`m normaly good after that and yes I was a big chip eatter back in the day lol but now een I just don`t crave them anymore and if they do catch my eye the single serving works just fine )
  • hevans17
    hevans17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As of late, (even though still not completely healthy) I've been having special k chips instead. They somewhat remind me of the potato sticks in a can..

i love the sour cream and onion ones!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips.
    So good.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Had to go cold turkey. Too big of a temptation. :(
  • KarenReichel
    Options
    Special K cracker chips, Snack Factory pretzel crisps, Pringles Light chips are what I use to curb chip cravings. Sometimes I just have a Claussen pickle spear...crunchy and salty!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Popcorn or baked tortilla chips when you really need that crunch. I admit to a weakness for Athenos baked pita chips. They're not exactly a low calorie food, but they're so hard you'll break your teeth off if you try to shovel them in.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    popcorn is good! =)
  • jcollie2928
    jcollie2928 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone else mentioned these but have you tried Pretzel Crisps. 110 calories for 11 chips and 0 fat. They are good with EVERYTHING!!!
    I got mine at Safeway near the deli section/ special dietary needs aisle.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Take your own snacks! This works for me

Research processed foods. Once you know what those chips are made of and what those chemicals do to your body, you may not be as fond of them :D
  • becfrogs
    becfrogs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A great chip replacement is carrots. I get the ones cut like chip shape or sandwich pickle shape and use in healthy dips. Kroger has a fat free french onion dip that's like 20 cals for 2 tbs. Crunchy like chips and curbs my craving.
  • Jadesmommy2003
    Jadesmommy2003 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Boulder Canyon Rice and Asuki bean chips chipotle flavor is my answer. Lower calorie, higher protein and all around yummy.