HELP! I've fallen and can't get up!!

Options
Hey friends,
I've been on here for awhile and I keep starting and failing.. How do I make it stick? How do I stop being so weak and lazy! Grr this is so frustrating. Any suggestions on what helped you finally push through?! Please add me and kick my butt, Please ;)

Replies

• gan1087
    gan1087 Posts: 4
    Options
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Here's my foot up your *kitten*.

You know how to drive the new porsche, you know you want to zoom around in the porsche, so honey trade in that old rustang and get goin!

You can do this!!

:flowerforyou:
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So what? So you fell. Get up one time more than you fall. That's how little kids learn how to walk--they don't just lay there and feel sorry for themselves. They shed a tear or two then try again until they figure it out. Losing weight is as much about restructuring habits (more veggies, less simple carbs, eating earlier in the evening) as it is treating each day like its the first day. Forgive yourself your imperfection, enjoy the occasional indulgence, and keep starting over.

I tried for years to lose weight. I finally decided to do something when I hit 230 (Should weigh in at 160/150but my doc wants me to target 180 because he's sure I can do it). I refuse to let anyone, including my own neurotic self tell me how to do this. So I set a reasonable calorie amount and log in almost every day honestly. So far, so good--Since the first of April I've lost 12 lbs. Its been erratic; so what? I'm learning how to reshape my eating habits after 50 years of eating poorly. I'm not setting myself up to fail by giving myself deadlines; I give myself plenty of attagirls; I'm not talking about my weight loss with any but my most supportive friends; and every time I start over I celebrate because it means I'm not laying on the floor like a spoiled toddler waiting for a miracle.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep logging.
    No matter what you eat, log it and if it's not a good day, aim to make tomorrow better.

I've been at this for almost 18 months now and I've decided that the only way to stay healthy for the long term is not to beat myself up about a bad day, but just to aim to have more good days than bad.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    So what? So you fell. Get up one time more than you fall. That's how little kids learn how to walk--they don't just lay there and feel sorry for themselves. They shed a tear or two then try again until they figure it out. Losing weight is as much about restructuring habits (more veggies, less simple carbs, eating earlier in the evening) as it is treating each day like its the first day. Forgive yourself your imperfection, enjoy the occasional indulgence, and keep starting over.

I tried for years to lose weight. I finally decided to do something when I hit 230 (Should weigh in at 160/150but my doc wants me to target 180 because he's sure I can do it). I refuse to let anyone, including my own neurotic self tell me how to do this. So I set a reasonable calorie amount and log in almost every day honestly. So far, so good--Since the first of April I've lost 12 lbs. Its been erratic; so what? I'm learning how to reshape my eating habits after 50 years of eating poorly. I'm not setting myself up to fail by giving myself deadlines; I give myself plenty of attagirls; I'm not talking about my weight loss with any but my most supportive friends; and every time I start over I celebrate because it means I'm not laying on the floor like a spoiled toddler waiting for a miracle.

EvilMomma makes a lot of sense.
    Are you really evil, or just pretending?
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    watch the rocky films.. great motivatar for me!
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me, it's like Nike said- just do it. I hate going to workout. I can come up with a million reasons not to, but I just had to realize I love me. I want me to be around for as long as I can be. Even though right now I'm healthy yet fluffy, it's not a guarantee that it'll be like that forever. I don't want to wait until I'm sick to try and get healthy. So, I just do it. No one can make me. I don't care how much they push or pull. I have to get it for me :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    You aren't committed to it. When you think about taking care of yourself like you would your kid, then the commitment will be instituted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I log it. No matter what, I log it. And I usually feel bad enough when I log it to be motivated to go outside for a walk and undo some of the damage - every little bit counts, and despite people laughing at those who order a diet coke with their large big mac meal, those people are still saving themselves a good hour walking!

Bad days do happen, but it's how you bounce back that makes a difference. And bouncing back doesn't include "I'll start again on Monday." Instead, try "I made a bad choice just now but I can make better choices for the rest of the day." Good luck :)
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes, EvilMomma is wise.

Maybe try to set goals with shorter time lines. Daily goals - weekly goals?
    I know for me when I start with the "I have to lose A HUGE AMOUNT" or "I want to run 10K" or "This week is going to be PERFECT and I'll do everything absolutely right!" my brain goes. "HOKAY! I'm on it. Lets do this NOW!" and then "wait, what? That's impossible and it sucks. Time out."
    For me, focusing on small things help me from burning out. This week I will do better than last week. Today I will log my food and take a walk. Tonight I'll see how it went and set a new goal. The end goal just keeps floating somewhere in the back of my mind. I do the same with saving money :)
    Remember to congratulate yourself on all the small wins! At least my brain is still a toddler and loves praise :P

It took me over 2 years to go from no running to running (well, I jog...) 5K. Why? Cause I kept quitting instead of just slowing down or setting smaller goals. I didn't celebrate me being able to run for 10, 15 or 20 minutes because anything but the 5K was not worth anything. Had I instead just kept trodding along, I'd have reached my goal much sooner.

And as PPs said. You can get up :) And you will get up. Maybe not as high up as you wanted at first, but any up is better than down.
    Also, there is no wagon you fall off and then all is lost. It's a road. Sometimes we're on a wagon, zooming along. Sometimes we walk, forwards. Sometimes we walk backwards/the other direction from our goal and sometimes we stand still, just chillin'. It's still the same road though. Different goals at different ends.

There's your sappy home cooked philosophy for the day!
  • AJHornik
    AJHornik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You aren't committed to it. When you think about taking care of yourself like you would your kid, then the commitment will be instituted.

IDEA Fitness member

Your right 100%
  • AJHornik
    Options
    Yes, EvilMomma is wise.

Maybe try to set goals with shorter time lines. Daily goals - weekly goals?
    I know for me when I start with the "I have to lose A HUGE AMOUNT" or "I want to run 10K" or "This week is going to be PERFECT and I'll do everything absolutely right!" my brain goes. "HOKAY! I'm on it. Lets do this NOW!" and then "wait, what? That's impossible and it sucks. Time out."
    For me, focusing on small things help me from burning out. This week I will do better than last week. Today I will log my food and take a walk. Tonight I'll see how it went and set a new goal. The end goal just keeps floating somewhere in the back of my mind. I do the same with saving money :)
    Remember to congratulate yourself on all the small wins! At least my brain is still a toddler and loves praise :P

It took me over 2 years to go from no running to running (well, I jog...) 5K. Why? Cause I kept quitting instead of just slowing down or setting smaller goals. I didn't celebrate me being able to run for 10, 15 or 20 minutes because anything but the 5K was not worth anything. Had I instead just kept trodding along, I'd have reached my goal much sooner.

And as PPs said. You can get up :) And you will get up. Maybe not as high up as you wanted at first, but any up is better than down.
    Also, there is no wagon you fall off and then all is lost. It's a road. Sometimes we're on a wagon, zooming along. Sometimes we walk, forwards. Sometimes we walk backwards/the other direction from our goal and sometimes we stand still, just chillin'. It's still the same road though. Different goals at different ends.

There's your sappy home cooked philosophy for the day!

It was lovely, thank you :)
  • AJHornik
    Options

Your first two words, "So what" were very powerful. Your completely right. I love your spicy attitude. Thank you :)
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    i just clicked on "community" to read about motivation and ask.... why am I so lazy, weak and resistant to change THAT IS GOOD FOR ME?

I will keep reading the posts that you get and try!

I just posted my breakfast...

Good luck
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your end goals.

Start with small but do-able goals. " I will eat healthy for just today", or "No unhealthy snacks today", "I will walk 15-30 minutes just today".

Then, when your small goal become habit- "I will loss 1/2-1 pound just this week. "

Remember it takes several weeks of an action to become a habit. It's up to you to determine which actions become habits.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.

This is absolutely correct.
    I can tell you from personal experience that -you- have to be 100% committed to it and *want* it! It takes a loooot of self motivation- so if your heart is not in it, it's not going to work. I always struggle- but I am absolutely determined to push through all my doubts and get to my goal. This was not always the case for me.. it's taken me a long time to learn how important losing weight and becoming fit is. It really is all about your personal mindset and switching gears to without a doubt wanting this and striving for it. I don't have children yet, but I can tell you that I am 1,000 percent sure I will neeeever ever treat them the way I treated my own body with food and laziness.
    Losing weight and getting fit is just as much of a psychological journey as it is a physical journey.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Plan the work and work the plan. It's all about developing a new lifestyle
  • spicychick1987
    Options
    Its really up to yourself hun.
    There are days when I didn't want do a squat, I felt lazy, miserable. But I have to remind myself that do i want go back to my old way of eating, being potato couch, never excerise, unhappy, health problems, etc.

Its just sometimes you have to pullyourself hard and force yourself even for few minutes. :-( I know the feeling. Not easy!
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not evil, just determined and not willing to suffer fools who get in my way.