Running...

Options

Replies

• xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    100% agreed. i run 4 miles twice a week and another longer one, around 6-8 miles. everytime, i hate the first mile. second is better, but by mile three, i fucking adore it.

i used to think that whole "runner's high" thing was a silly concept, but im now a believer.

RUNNERS HIGH IS TOTALLY TRUE! We definitely got bit by the "running bug" too ;)
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I s just talking about this with someone tonight- the first is the worst!
  • laurensayz
    laurensayz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yep! The worst part is after the first 1/2 mile for me...especially in this Georgia heat. I feel like I can't get my breath, but I eventually work it out and am fine the rest of the run.

OMG! I live in Georgia also. I walk a mile (takes me about 15-18 minutes) and then I'll start a slow jog for a while. This humidity is killing me.
  • xPOOKiEx
    Options
    my guess is that you probably don't warm up enough. try doing this warm up here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgu-tNAYgE

Here is this warm up written out:

2-3 minutes of jump rope (who cares if you mess up, push yourself!)
    50 jumping jacks (pull your shoulder blades back, extend arms and really focus on the movement)
    20 body weight squats
    5 lunges (each leg)
    10 hip extensions
    5 hip rotations each leg (like you’re stepping over a fence)
    10 forward leg swings (each leg)
    10 side leg swings (each leg)
    10-20 push ups (scale based on your level of fitness)
    10 spiderman steps (each leg)

This ....

Just sounds like you are going to 0 to 60 and not giving enough time for your heart and lungs to get moving....

We do like 10 mins of stretching before hand...not all of these though...may have to try it..

Thanks.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my guess is that you probably don't warm up enough. try doing this warm up here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgu-tNAYgE

Here is this warm up written out:

2-3 minutes of jump rope (who cares if you mess up, push yourself!)
    50 jumping jacks (pull your shoulder blades back, extend arms and really focus on the movement)
    20 body weight squats
    5 lunges (each leg)
    10 hip extensions
    5 hip rotations each leg (like you’re stepping over a fence)
    10 forward leg swings (each leg)
    10 side leg swings (each leg)
    10-20 push ups (scale based on your level of fitness)
    10 spiderman steps (each leg)

This ....

Just sounds like you are going to 0 to 60 and not giving enough time for your heart and lungs to get moving....

We do like 10 mins of stretching before hand...not all of these though...may have to try it..

Thanks.

stretching is quite possibly the worst thing you can do to your muscles before a work out. why would you start pulling and jerking cold muscles?? a nice dynamic warm up warms up your body by trigging your nervous system to deliver more blood to areas.

btw, the warm up i posted takes about 9 minutes for me. i do it fast, so i'm sweating by the end of it. honestly, it feels like a work out.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    the first and fourth mile are the worse for me. :smile:
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First is just an awkward time trying to get in the zone! Once it hits though its like ~aww yeah!~ :glasses:
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    first mile is always the worst :)
  • xPOOKiEx
    Options
    First is just an awkward time trying to get in the zone! Once it hits though its like ~aww yeah!~ :glasses:

Agreed :) Best feeling ever after that!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I can only run 4 days a week due to working 12 hours shifts the other 3 days...so I run at least 5-6 miles each run...if not more. so for me the first 1/2 mile is the toughest and then probably mile 4. Running is a mental sport as well as physical. Lots of self talk involved....but oh what a feeling when you have pushed yourself and finished that run.....nothing like it.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yeah Arizona's dry heat at 109+ most days KILLS me...it makes the running even worse, but I hate the treadmill more :P

I hope that the more I run this kind of goes away....but it always seems to be there :(

That's why I'm outside at 530am. It's already 95+ by 830
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my second mile is always the worst. the first goes just fine, but the second is godawful.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I call it "The Toxic Ten". The first 10 minutes are mental for me. I have to fight through it, then I start feeling better.

Yeah... that's how it is, but I am just beginning to run again.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Yeah Arizona's dry heat at 109+ most days KILLS me...it makes the running even worse, but I hate the treadmill more :P

I hope that the more I run this kind of goes away....but it always seems to be there :(

That's why I'm outside at 530am. It's already 95+ by 830

I'm in S. Florida and I typically run at 8am and even at that time it is 80f+ and high humidity ... but I love it.. Can't wait for the real summer months. I am running my first test 10k tomorrow morning... hoping to complete it within 80 minutes....
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My past few runs have been that way! I typically run 1.5 miles then turn around and run back..and in the past two weeks my second leg seems to have come easier according to my pace which is weird because the elevation is mostly uphill!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Dont stretch. Thats not a good thing to do. Warm up instead; do jumping jacks or something like that. Stretch afterward, if you want to.

Yes, the first 1/2 mile for me sucks. I can't catch my breath at first. It takes me a while to settle in. But, once I do, it's easy.
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    When ever I'm running solo, my first km (I'm in Canada!) is usually my slowest, probably because my body is just warming up, and it takes a couple of minutes for my legs and body to feel comfortable...

If I'm running in a group, I run faster for the first km, but find it tougher on my body.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well it happened for me too but I learned a few things along the way.

1. I can't eat within 2 hrs of running. I cramp more and get more side stitches.

2. I can't drink too much beforehand either.

3. My body can only handle 3 days a week of running with a day off in between and 2 days off if I'm increasing my miles or speed the next run.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    yep, my time usually gets faster with each mile. I kind of get into it the longer I run. I've also found that after about 15 minutes I get in the "zone" and get to a point where I could just keep going forever.
  • tinaslosingit
    tinaslosingit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I call it "The Toxic Ten". The first 10 minutes are mental for me. I have to fight through it, then I start feeling better.

Great way to describe it - that first 10 minutes is hard mentally - just have to keep going and it eventually goes away and you forget that you even were struggling