I started C25K.and what I've learned so far

Options
GBO323
GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
I decided to run the Dallas TMCA Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving and needed a plan to get ready. Here are a few things I've done to prep for it.

1. There are iPhone/iPod APPS for that!
a. C25K App. Handy for letting you know when to run or walk. Use your already created playlist and a voice/bell will alert you when it's time to run, walk, or when you're halfway there and even when the cool-down is. It will track you through the 8 weeks and you can even post your progress to FaceBook or Twitter. This is a free app or a you can get the paid app(no ads, same functionality).

b.Pedometer Pro GPS+ This app is what turns your phone/iPod into a pedometer. It's a freebie app with basic functions. I opted for the Ultimate paid version that you can use with a Heart Rate Monitor. The basic app will track your calories burnt, time run, distance, etc.

c. iPhone/iPod in an armband holder. This Swiss Army knife. Now it's my pedometer, C25K trainer, and Music box attached to my arm. The included earbuds are great so I can double-click to change songs and not interrupt the other running apps.

2. Rewards along the way. I'm one to buy all the new gear up front to "prep" for an event. Since this was new territory, I decided that for each C25K training week completed(I'm doing two weeks each for one training week-slow but surely), I would reward myself. After completing week 1, I bought a pair of running shoes. After week 2, I bought a pair of running shorts. Working my way up.

3. Staying Consistent. One thing that encourages me is that the calories burned on the run....I eat. I don't eat them before I run because I have to earn them first.

So I'm learning as a go here. I'm really surprised that I'm doing this, but 72 pounds lighter makes it doable. :)

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Just finished the program for the 2nd time today! Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider Nike+GPS when you're running more. It's a great app and let's you SEE your varying pace.
  • Cullenbraille
    Cullenbraille Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So excited for you! You can do it! Good luck
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I did my first 6:30 A.M. run this morning. Very refreshing, cool breeze, and gave me a boost for the day. This was a great choice!