Ideas for no-bake protein bars?

Options
amybg1
amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
Today I found myself wanting something to eat and was looking at my brother's frozen bars (I don't touch his stash, he doesn't touch mine - plus his protein is high-cal, lower quality) so any ideas for a simple, no-bake protein bar I could make? I've a tub of vanilla whey (which I'd like to use up before getting into the choc. mint), as mentioned the choc. mint whey as well as chocolate casein. We typically don't carry flax seeds in bulk or anything like that but that can be easily obtained

Replies

• amybg1
    Options
    Bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You can make protein bars from protein powder, water, and oats. Thats all you really need. I add in peanutbutter sometimes or other extras and experiment with the proportions and measurements. There are probably a lot on google. The last time I tried it I think I used 2 cups of oats, 2 or 3 scoops of protein powder, and added just a bit of water until everything mixed but it was still thick and sticky.
  • amybg1
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestiion
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out raw food blogs or boards. I don't eat protein bars so I don't know recipes off hand but whenever I want info on a no-bake option, the raw food people always have suggestions!

One option might be to add hemp hearts to whatever bar you make. The kind I use has 15g of protein/4 tbsp (or something around that).
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Check out Oxygen.com under recipes. They have a wonderful Chocolate Protein Ball recipe. It's what I use. Also, there are some great protein bar recipes on Little B's Healthy Habits. Hope this helps you.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Google Homemade Lara bars, I make these into balls all the time, you can add your protein powder with the other stuff.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ALLIDOISWINWIN
    Options
    Look up homemade LARA bars. They are made with dates. I love them and hear there are quick and easy to make.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm unable to post the link to it on the message boards but I have a bunch of clean, homemade ones I make posted on my fit page. Just message me if you would like the link :) There are also a tonnnn of sources if you do a Google search for homemade protein bars and then you can weed out the ones you don't like or make changes.
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    2 C oats
    4 scoops protein powder
    1T ground flax (optional)
    1/2 C natural smooth or chunky peanut butter
    1/2 C water

You can add raisins or cranberries, whatever you like.
    Mix everything together, spread in a pan and freeze for about 30 minutes. Refrigerate after initial freeze.

I cut them into 16 squares
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Those recipes have more sugar and fat than protein, according to their nutritional data. But if they are working for you in your eating plan, then enough said.

If you are looking for a recipe for protein bars that has more protein content, you could try Krista's protein bars.

http://www.stumptuous.com/make-your-own-protein-bars

Here's the analysis, though it could be off a wee bit as I had to estimate the number of scoops of protein powder are in a cup.
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 53 g

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 260 Calories from Fat 133
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 14.8g23%
    Saturated Fat 3.5g17%
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 30mg10%
    Sodium 190mg8%
    Total Carbohydrates 13.8g5%
    Dietary Fiber 2.5g10%
    Sugars 4.2g
    Protein 20.3g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 8% • Iron 8%

Hope it helps, and best to all on your good eating efforts.
  • amybg1
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and yea I found a few variations I could make based off of what I currently have available. Just wondered if you guys had any recipes you liked was all :) Bars sometimes work better for me as opposed to a shake, so like to have both handy