Additional Cardio w/Marathon Training?

Options
HMVOL7409
HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
I'm training for a 1/2 marathon (my first) in October. I'm currently in maintence mode of about 2000 cals a day. I'm starting phase 2 of my training on Wednesday which has me training for a 10K length/speed. I am wondering if I need to cut back my other cardio I do on my off days for fear it would hurt my results or put my body into over drive. I do HIIT on the elliptical currently for 20 minutes twice a week. I was doing it for 30 mins 3 times a week when I was trying to lose weight. However my runs then were 30-40 mins max and now they are going to be 55-65 mins 3 times a week. Would I be able to continue my HIIT sessions to ensure my maintence or cut it to stop any further loss? What does everyone else do on their off days? I also strength train pretty hard 4 days a week and have 1 day off completely from everything.

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    Options
    Bump
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up for you. Would be interested to read replies.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Cross training is really important for runners. When training for my first half I either did the elliptical or I mixed in some Insanity on my non-run days. In general I didn't cut back and I made sure to have a rest day. With that being said if I felt like I needed an extra day I didn't hesitate to take that either. Keep up with the strength training and I'd say see how you feel with the extra cardio. If you find you are overly tired or struggling with some of the longer runs you could consider trying something like a foam roller workout or yoga/pilates type workout one day just to help your body recover and stretch out. Swimming is also a great option. Good luck and have fun!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I actually increased my cardio as I increased my runs...I do HIIT 2x a week, kickboxing, spinning, etc, in addiition to running. Keep up with the strenght training, too...it will make you stronger for the longer distance.

I rest one day a week, but listen to your body and rest more if needed.

Two weeks before a 1/2 I taper back my exercise and runs, and the week before I only do someeasyrunning, no exercise/weights, 2 days before the race, complete rest...

The more you push, the more you will improve...but push at your own pace...

Cross training helps prevent injury, plus increases your speed and endurance...

You might need to increase your carb to protein to fat ratio...mine when I am training is set to 55% carbs....You also might need to up your calories as you up your running...listen to your body and adjust when needed...

Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Thank you! Yea I've been thinking I need to up to at least 50% carbs with the increasing runs. It's good to know I can continue my other cardio if my body allows bc I love it and I feel has helped me build my endurance and strength up. Thank you again!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think you need to see how you feel. Yes, cross-training can be great for runners. However, it is also very easy to over-train and risk injury. When I was building up mileage for a long race..... the only other activities I did were biking and yoga. I found those to be complementary and did not over-strain my legs. So I guess my gut is that if you are now increasing mileage - i.e. you have never run the distances you are starting to run now.... then I would say cut out the HIIT and just focus on the runs. My .02
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For me, the 1/2 marathon was my main focus, so everything else took a back burner. I downloaded a 1/2 marathon training schedule and stuck to that (Hal Higdon's training). So I was running 4 times a week and cross training one day. The other days were light exercise days, walking or biking lightly. I did not want to risk injury, plus I wasn't interested in being constantly tired. I also did do weight training 2 to 3 times weekly.

I also did my carb loading 2 or 3 days in advance of long weekend runs. You have to listen to your body, sometimes it just wants to rest, and you have to resist the urge to overtrain. Good luck, you look so fit and healthy, keep up the great work!! And good luck with your training...