Why exercise to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    WITHOUT exercise, a fairly large percentage of your weight loss will be from your lean muscle mass. WITH exercise, especially resistance training, you keep a larger percentage of your muscle mass.

Since muscle is by volume heavier than fat, if the more fat you lose and the more muscle you keep, the fewer pounds you'll have to lose to become the same size.

^^ THIS ^^
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    "skinny people look good in clothes, fit people look great naked!" Just sayin......:wink:

this is awsome!!... :)

a fit toned person will burn fat more in their sleep, than some people do when they are awake.

musle burns fat
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes you lose "better" inches IMO. People who lose tons of weight and don't excercise....don't have the same benefits of having nice tight skin.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    95% of the time I do not eat eat back the calories I've burned. I don't think you are supposed to in general. The tracking just let's you know that if you NEED to , ie if you're still hungry, you can do so and still not gain weight ...

Do most of you really eat back teh calories you burn in exercise? I never have.

I eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all of them. I recently got an HRM and am learning that although I'm in relatively great shape my heart beats fast, therefore I burn ALOT of calories. It takes alot of eating for me to eat them all back.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Get fit in the gym, lose weight in the kitchen. I saw that recently on here.

But let's be real: you exercise so you look good naked! That's enough of a reason for me.

Also, I don't want to lose all mobility when I'm old.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    "skinny people look good in clothes, fit people look great naked!" Just sayin......:wink:

^^^^^^

This!!

Amen!
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    for me: to be able to eat more overall and still lose

This. It allows me wiggle room to keep on track with my calorie goals. Those extra 200/300 cals are the difference between deprivation and sustainability for me.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Feel good and have new healthy habits and identity. I'm an active person now and I feel better inside and out. Weight loss and exercise are two separate parts to the whole.
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, it's a great thing for weight loss. You burn FAT, which you won't do just eating right...you need to be active in order to get that bad weight off.

I can't tell you how much I've toned out since I've been exercising! It's giving me amazing results, and I guarantee you'll get the same if you exercise!!

I was just skinny but had "fat insides" because I was so unhealthy even when eating right...my body was worn down from never getting activity in.

Now I'm running more and more every day and can tell major changes in my body, as well as mood! :)

Just all over good for the body!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating enough initially and found that I was left without energy, was dizzy and had headaches throughout my workouts. I am just a few weeks into a calorie increase and am still struggling with the idea, but I'm not gaining, and my measurements have gone down. I enjoy my workouts more and am not as crabby. I think depending on how many calories you burn or eat (etc) you would either eat them all back or at least half. I know I'm really just trying to listen to what my body is telling me more than just what the numbers are saying.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If your goal is not to be fit and healthy then don't exercise. Restrict your calories, stay in a deficit and you'll lose weight.

BUT WHY SHOULD YOU EXERCISE!?!?!?!?!??!

For all the amazing health benefits that come with exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    manage your weight
    manage your blood pressure
    have a strong healthy heart, lungs, bones, muscles ect............
    for longevity
    for my kids and family
    so hopefully i'm not in a scooter by the time I'm 65 (seriously I know someone who never exercised, is obese, eats crap and can't even freaking walk anymore her body is so broken down and decrepit.)
    to maintain my youth
    to be a beast
    for self confidence
    to be the cool Mom...not old and flabby in 'mom jeans'
    to be able to eat 'fun' foods and not just live on salad and ice tea
    to be strong!!!!!!
    it manages stress
    healthy body healthy mind
    because i still can!!!!!
    to feel good in my clothes
    to be able to shop for fun clothes
    to be able to eat chocolate...a lot of it

EXERCISE IS NOT JUST FOR ESTHETICS .......IT'S FOR YOUR MIND BODY AND SOUL.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    you'll be stronger and healthier if you exercise...
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Because when it comes time for me to play sports and I weight less, I'll also be able to out jump, run, and last longer than the competition.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    the exercise helps me keep my food on track and vice versa...
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Why exercise to lose weight?

... hmmm...

Who knows such things?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    so that you can eat more?

I guess we're forgetting that there are so many other benefits to exercise that aren't limited to aesthetics.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I exercise to build my metabolism and feel better. Also going to the gym is somewhat social for me too. It is one of the only times I get to listen to my online books unless I am in my car. I only eat back my calories if I am hungry.
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    lol I DO NOT EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES.

EXERCISE IS ESSENTIAL TO WEIGHT LOSS.

If you work on a railroad or play some kind of professional sport as a living your daily routine is exercise enough....MOST PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THOSE TYPES OF JOBS AND MOST PEOPLE DO NOT EAT AT A CALORIE DEFICIT. SO BOTH ARE GENERALLY NEEDED FOR BEST RESULTS.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    lol I DO NOT EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES.

EXERCISE IS ESSENTIAL TO WEIGHT LOSS.

If you work on a railroad or play some kind of professional sport as a living your daily routine is exercise enough....MOST PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THOSE TYPES OF JOBS AND MOST PEOPLE DO NOT EAT AT A CALORIE DEFICIT. SO BOTH ARE GENERALLY NEEDED FOR BEST RESULTS.

exercise is not essential to weight loss. For that all you need is a caloric deficit which can be achieved through diet alone. That being said, exercise can help you with that deficit while allowing you to eat more food and have the same deficit.