Foods to kickstart my metabolism

Options
Hi all

I thought I'd throw a question out there about good foods to start the day on to kickstart my metabolism, any suggestions?

Replies

• EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    The wikihow article on "how to increase your metabolism" says no food can influence your metabolism, only age, gender and weight. It does however recommend to drink ice cold water. I don't know how much truth there is to that, so I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences.
  • Griderrr
    Griderrr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    good breakfast.. thats all I know
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    Great page , this next link is more about what u asked :The Best New Ways to Boost Your Metabolism

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306911_6,00.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Food and timing of food doesnt affect your metabolic rate. Increasing lean muscle does. Strength training can lead to burning a few extra calories due to the repairing process.
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/body-type-diet-weight-loss-solutions-every-shape Dr.Oz has some good info on his site about gearing the type of diet with your body type. They were the hunter and farmer types. Check it out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/body-type-diet-weight-loss-solutions-every-shape Dr.Oz has some good info on his site about gearing the type of diet with your body type. They were the hunter and farmer types. Check it out.

Dr. Oz is full of crap most of the time and pushes products based on who pays the bills. I wouldn't listen to 90% of what he says.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Metabolism/ Fat-burning increased when muscle in body increases.
    Protein helps build muscle.
    So i have heard....
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    A hearty healthy breakfast 1 portion carb, 1 healthy fats, and 1 protein.
    A black cup of coffee, green tea, white tea
    Cold water right when you wakeup
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Green tea and lots of vegetables and foods high in protein
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No such thing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Cherry, no offense but "kick-start your metabolism" sounds like a great subject for spam. It's a buzzphrase that has absolutely no bearing on reality. There is no such thing as a food that can change your metabolism. Your metabolism is dictated by your age, genetics, and body composition. There are subtle ways in which you can influence it, by eating more or less, but the idea that any one food can change your metabolism (enough to notice) is erroneous.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    my bicycle has a kick stand.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's fun to count the people who've fallen for all these myths.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Dr.Oz has some good info on his site

1670139_2921.jpg
  • Cazza2
    Cazza2 Posts: 4
    Options
    apparently spicey foods like cayenne pepper gets your metabolism going. Try a couple of sprinkles in your morning tea or on eggs.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    breakfast, meals every two hours, lean muscle mass, cayenne pepper,

any food that can help improve the help of your thyroid can help. i.e- kelp, seaweed, amino acid foods like eggs, cod liver oil, vitamin a foods, dulce, etc.

drinking cold water may not specifically speed up your metabolism, but it does burn a few extra cals. you can burn 70 extra cals a day.

eat protien, but not fatty protien.

and green tea i hear.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Meth.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    jumper cables?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    breakfast, meals every two hours, lean muscle mass, cayenne pepper,

any food that can help improve the help of your thyroid can help. i.e- kelp, seaweed, amino acid foods like eggs, cod liver oil, vitamin a foods, dulce, etc.

drinking cold water may not specifically speed up your metabolism, but it does burn a few extra cals. you can burn 70 extra cals a day.

eat protien, but not fatty protien.

and green tea i hear.

Myth, myth, myth.. not trying to be mean. But a lot of what you're posting is simply not true.