Has anyone OVER 50...

Options
Gotten rid of the floppy back of the arm skin????? Ladies especially (I don't think men have this problem!)
I have lost the weight so am in maintenance (but try to stay fairly low carb) and am focusing on body composition/muscle building. I do a combo of superslow weightlifting and TRX training 3 times a week, spinning classes 2 times a week. I am toning and can see muscle in most other parts of my body, including thighs (usually a major problem area for me). But I cannot for the life of me see any change whatsoever in the back of the arms flapping in the breeze!! I watch it flop around while I am doing my overhead tricep pulls on the TRX (watch in the mirror for form)--so discouraging!!!
Has anyone seen this change?? If so, please let me know what you have done. Not sure if I need to blast away at it with focused tricep exercises or continue to reduce calories, up the cardio--WHAT???? Dips are hard for me, as I have shoulder issues, but recommendations are welcome!!

Replies

• LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I will be very interested in seeing what is posted. I have the same problem (although I am not at maintenance yet!) and I absolutely hate it!!!!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can tone with triceps exercises, and basically it's a matter of how your body distributes fat, and how it loses. I've noticed lately that I've lost inches on my stomach but my thighs are not losing, which is the opposite of how things usually happen for me, so I can't figure it out.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance since the fall of 2008. I have bat wings, too. It's just in the last 2 years after starting using resistance bands (with the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's) that I had finally started seeing better changes. First of all, being over 50, my skin doesn't have the elasticity it dd when I was younger, so it takes more work now. Don't lose heart. Depending on how much weight you have lost, it can take up to a year before you see firming. Keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like you have a good workout program going. I'm still self conscious when I wear a tank top or short sleeve tops, but it is still by far alot better than when I was heavy. I can cover my arms with a little longer sleeve. I could not hide my weight before I got on this journet, no matter what I wore. So I'll take the bat wings over the old me. :smile:
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    Thanks for comments thusfar!!
    Yes, I was thinking that the skin elasticity might have something to do with it.
    My bodyfat percentage is around 31% so am squeaking in at just a little below obese--yikes!! But I started at 42% a little over a year ago so I am very happy. I would love to get below 30% and figure I am on the journey there. It may take another year, but I am in for the ride.
    Bumping for more responses!!
  • GmanKG
    GmanKG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello ma'am, 1st let me say an aging body can be toned up, for sure, but an aging muscular body will look different than a younger muscular body, because with age, the skin and the connective tissue start to lose elasticity, "You have more sagging." If you weight lift enough, or do other types of strength training, you can produce a tight, firm muscle, "If you pump the muscle, it's tighter," But there is likely to be more flab underneath a 50-year-old Tricep than a 30-year-old one. Also on average, older women tend to have more overall body fat than do younger ones, "The average 50-year-old woman has gained 20 or 30 pounds since the age of 20, is much less physically active, and is well on their way to sarcopenia,'' she says. Sarcopenia refers to the age-related loss of muscle mass and strength. And then there are the hormonal factors which come into play also, an older woman has less estrogen than a younger woman. That means less estrogen is converted to testosterone, which is crucial for muscle-building. "You will have to work harder [when you are older] to maintain the same muscle mass." And after saying all of that "Aim for moderate-intensity cardio work," "Figure six or so on a scale of one to 10." Get in 30 minutes at least five days a week, the cardio training can be jogging, walking, aerobics class, swimming, or other activities.
    To tone the muscles, ''strength train the major muscles," Do eight to 10 exercises that target them at least two days a week, and ideally three days, for 30 minutes each session, she says. Do eight to 12 repetitions of each exercise, for instance tricep presses and tricep kickbacks. And if you can use free weights, resistance tubing, weight machines, or your own body weight, such as doing push-ups to knee push ups may also work...It'll happen just take it slow & don't get discouraged. :)