Help! I’m going on vacation.

So, I have 2 vacations coming up and I am freaking out. My department started a biggest loser challenge which goes into effect today. I want to win, or at least get to my goal. I’m so worried because on vacation I like to drink and eat whatever. I need some suggestions on what to do? How can I maintain my weight and enjoy my vacation. I already decided t hat I will only drink skinny cocktails so I have my drinking figured out, but any other suggestions? Please help. :sad:

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    last year I was on vacation for 12 days and dropped 7 lbs. what I do?
    upped my calories to eat @ maintance
    drank water with most of my meals
    walked every where that I could

I still logged at ate for the most part bad.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    I'm going on vacation in two weeks so I can share what I will be doing. First off, all things in moderation. Don't binge drink lol. I will be going to the grocery when I get there and getting some staples of healthy food. Although the people I am with may not choose to eat healthy, I don't have to follow suit. Plus I will stay active with a run on the beach in the morning. I'd just say be prepapred. And allow yourself to indugle a little. It is vacation. It isn't the end of the world if you gain a pound. Just work harder the week after to get it off. And above all else, HAVE FUN!!! You deserve that :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    we work so hard to be able to afford vacations (time and money wise)... just enjoy yourself. walk where ever you can... make healthy eating choices when possible... but don't restrict yourself so much that you feel tortured.

we leave for our vacation saturday, and im planning on walking everywhere (its a very small island village, so thats almost to be expected). But i will eat what i want. I dont drink, except i will have one mimosa on the harbor for our 'date ' night, so i dont really have to worry about that.

i know ill eat way more than i usually do, but also know i will be walking way more than i usually do! LOL! so im not terribly worried about it.

if you gain a couple of pounds, well... figure it was worth it and get back on track when you get home!

Most of all... HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another idea is to buy healthy snacks, and have a snack before eating out. it will help curb your appetite while you are out!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Thanks! both of you. I just need to figure out how to balance everything. I don't mind my weight remaining the same. I just don't want to gain anything.
  • nashai01
    another idea is to buy healthy snacks, and have a snack before eating out. it will help curb your appetite while you are out!
    [/quote]

This is a great Idea. I never thought of bringing my own snacks. I need to just realize just because I'm on vacation I don't need to over eat. I normally look forward to trips so I can eat whatever. I need to change this way of thinking lol.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    i just got back from an 8 day visit to my parents and am leaving sunday for another 8 day vacation. i could also use some advice! here are some things that have helped me - CLIFF bars for a quick breakfast or meal hold over or to replace airport food, which is so often terrible. if i have to eat in airports i opt for vegetarian salads (mostly b/c the meat is usually fried or just gross). if possible, i hit up a grocery store and eat breakfast and lunch at home/condo/hotel. i usually go out to dinner, but i skip the potato or pasta side and opt for seafood as much as possible.

in most cities and vacation spots you can rent bicycles, which is a great way to see things and get exercise. i rode 18 miles on the chicago lakefront path last weekend. at my beachfront condo next week, we got a place that comes with kayaks and bicycles. i always make room for my running shoes in my suitcase and that way i make sure i use them.

good luck!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    dont eat and drink whatever just cause youre on vacation
  • nashai01

Easier said than done. I'm going to seriously work on it. I think bringing my own cocktails instead of ordering from the bar will help me limit what I'm drinking. I'm going to really really try to eat good.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member

Easier said than done. I'm going to seriously work on it. I think brinking my own cocktails instead of ordering from the bar will help me limit what I'm drinking. I'm going to really really try to eat good.

Not if you realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly want it :D
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    My husband and I travel a lot. Approx 10 vacations a year and I maintain my weight while away. This is what I do and it works for me! First, I exercise every day by either running on the beach, walking, and yoga, crunches, push ups in my room, etc. The all-inclusive time share we belong to offers water aerobics and yoga on the beach, which we participate in. Swimming laps is also good exercise. As for food and drinks, I eat a really healthy breakfast (egg whites, fruit, yogurt, etc.) and I try to eat a healthy lunch and then for dinner I can splurge a little. I try to just have a bite or two of dessert and I refuse to eat anything I don't really love, I hate to waste calories. Drinks are my weakness... I try to drink flavored vodka and club soda or light beer. If I start drinking those fruity pina coladas then I can gain 5 lbs in one day!! Yikes!!
  • Pinkgirl319
    Pinkgirl319 Posts: 80 Member
    Make sure you log everything! For me, I eat a lot more when I drink so that is something to be wary of. I think if I were you I'd just pick a couple days that you allow yourself to have a couple drinks.

Almost every restaurant can make plain grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.

Self control is the biggest key. Don't go into it expecting to fail and you won't.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I got back from vacation almost two weeks ago and I'd only put on one pound - which was all water weight since I took that off plus another half pound within a week. Here are some things I did:

Be as active as you can - you don't necessarily need to spend an hour in the gym every day, just get out there and move. We'd walk on the beach for a while, swim in the pool for a bit, walk around the gardens, etc. Nothing hard core but enough to burn some calories. You can always sneak in some sit ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc if you want a quick hard burn.

Totally agree with bringing snacks (or plan on going to the nearest grocery store on your 1st day) and maybe even some cereal/oatmal. Not only will it save you a few bucks but you'll be less tempted if you eat healthy stuff you've brought with you rather than whatever's on the breakfast menu.

Go ahead and have your cocktails but between each drink, have at least 1 cup of water. And drink as much water as you can the rest of the day. The hardest part about eating out isn't just the portion sizes, it's the HUGE amount of sodium which will make your weight go up just from water retention. I kept a huge bottle of water with me at all times and never let it get empty.

When making choices at a restaurant, pick the healthiest options you can. Remember, just becuase someone else is doing the cooking and dishes doesn't mean you can pig out.

All of these things should help. Good luck and have fun! :)
  • nashai01
    All of you are giving great information. Thanks so much!
  • nashai01
    I'm back from my vacation! I didn't gain any weight! I'm so proud of myself. :happy:
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Success! Tell us how you did it.
  • nashai01
    Well I didnt't follow everyone's advice on entering in my food in my fitness pal. I should've. I drank my low calorie alcoholic beverage the entire weekend instead of ordering at a bar. I did tons and tons of walking and swimming. I didn't plan on swimming but I think it helped because i didn't gain a pound. I didn't really watch the food I ate. I really wished I had but I'm extremely happy I didn't gain anything.