Diet Soda and weight gain

MsBrdlv
MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
I have been losing steadily since joining MFP a little over 30 days ago. Last night we had Subway for dinner and I decided to have a medium diet coke with my meal. My question is related to the scale this morning........... I am up 2 pounds from yesterday!! Nothing has changed in my diet (calorie count for the day was still right where it should be). Can drinking a diet soda make you retain enough water to cause the gain? Is that normal?

Replies

• loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    I'd hazard a guess at the sodium content of the subway causing the water retention rather than the soda.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    More than likely the sodium. It's in the sandwich not the diet soda. Drink water - it wil go again.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    A diet soda only has like 40mg of sodium so I doubt it was that. Just the normal fluctuations of day to day water retention. I drink a couple diet sodas a day and have continued to lose weight. I know water is the best choice but I can only take so much water!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    it was the subway and not the diet coke... any large amount of carbohydrate will cause water retention if you were not at your highest glycogen levels before... its not like its bad type of water weight either, if you have been at a carb reduced state the carboHYDRATE will hold water within muscle cells and liver cells which is called glycogen, it all depends when you eat carbs or not... and by the way, the more glycogen your body holds the better it increases metabolism with a higher bodyweight.

diet coke gets two thumbs down tho, anything that can burn the rust off metal gets two thumbs down from the human body.

water retention thru sodium is truely miniscule.. no way 2lbs of water thru sodium where 1g of carbs can hold 4g of water in the body.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    I'd hazard a guess at the sodium content of the subway causing the water retention rather than the soda.

I was going to say the same thing. I was probably the sodium in the sandwich. Even the healthiest sandwiches have alot of sodium.
  • MsBrdlv
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone, it is much appreciated!
  • MsBrdlv
    water retention thru sodium is truely miniscule.. no way 2lbs of water thru sodium where 1g of carbs can hold 4g of water in the body.

Yikes! Guess I need to be more careful about what types of carbs I eat, and really make them COUNT towards nutrition.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    One can of diet soda will not make you gain weight. It's normal for your weight to fluctuate a few pounds up or down. If anything sodium was the culprit.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

Yikes! Guess I need to be more careful about what types of carbs I eat, and really make them COUNT towards nutrition.

Don't freak too much. A little sodium and some bread is not a problem. Drink water and you'll be fine. I eat Subway and drink Diet Coke on a regular basis and they've helped me lose weight, not hurt me.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    no
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Subway is CHOCK full of sodium. It wasn't the diet soda. It was the Subway.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

Yup
  • MsBrdlv
    Don't freak too much. A little sodium and some bread is not a problem. Drink water and you'll be fine. I eat Subway and drink Diet Coke on a regular basis and they've helped me lose weight, not hurt me.

Thanks!
  • Better stick to water! ;) I've been where you're at!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Subway is CHOCK full of sodium. It wasn't the diet soda. It was the Subway.

They advertise 25% less sodium now too.

*Blood veins shrivel and die*
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    More likely the sodium in the sandwich. Subway does have some good choices, at least fat/calorie-wise. But that doesn't make it good in the sodium (I'll admit, I love me some Subway from time to time!!).

I drink diet soda regularly (too often, I'm sure) and I don't think it affects water retention. In fact, caffeine is a mild diuretic, though I wouldn't recommend using it for that purpose.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member

I was going to say the same thing. I was probably the sodium in the sandwich. Even the healthiest sandwiches have alot of sodium.

This.

I find diet soda increases my appetite and I find it next to impossible to stay within my calories for the day.
    So between that and the ucky chemical. It's my beverage of last resort.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member

no thats not the point... that type of water retention is good its within the muscle cells and makes muscles look fuller, and pulls the skin tighter.
  • karen6266
    karen6266 Posts: 2
    I'm so glad to hear you say that about the Diet Coke's. I have been on my journey going on week 3. I have lost 4 lbs. I went from 5 of the 20oz Diet Cokes to 1. I want them so bad. I have been drinking my water but I hate water!!!!!!!! I need support really bad and reading some the posts have really helped.
  • One thing I have noticed is that if I drink too much at night (by that I mean any liquids) I will see a slight weight gain no matter how well I have done. I have tried to stop having anything to drink after 8 pm so that hopefully the water weight doesn't effect my weigh in the next morning.