Vacation Tips

kristykelly83
kristykelly83 Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! My husband is coming home from Iraq for his R&R leave, and we are going on vacation to the Wisconsin Dells.
Does anyone have any advice about eating healthy on vacation? It seems pigging out is such a big part of vacation, and my poor hubby has been living off of chow hall food for the last 7 months. I want to be able to go out to eat, but make good choices.
I know exercise will be ok as there are several fitness centers at the resort, and we will be spending a lot of time walking and swimming.
thanks in advance for any advice and encouragement. :)
-Kristy

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hello! My husband is coming home from Iraq for his R&R leave, and we are going on vacation to the Wisconsin Dells.
    Does anyone have any advice about eating healthy on vacation? It seems pigging out is such a big part of vacation, and my poor hubby has been living off of chow hall food for the last 7 months. I want to be able to go out to eat, but make good choices.
    I know exercise will be ok as there are several fitness centers at the resort, and we will be spending a lot of time walking and swimming.
    thanks in advance for any advice and encouragement. :)
    -Kristy

I say ENJOY your vacation, what with your hubby just coming home on leave!!! I'm sure you'll get TONS of exercise :wink:, so don't worry too much about your eating. You'll be able to get lots of salads, veggies, and fruits SOME of the time, and, then off and on, get some "good stuff" too! :smile:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Here are my vacation eating tips...

1. Make sure you start with a good, healthy breakfast. Something like oatmeal, yogurt and a banana, or eggs and toast. Avoid sweets like donuts, french toast, cinnamon rolls and pancakes that will only leave you hungry in an hour.

2. Take a big purse and throw in some granola bars and portable fruit like apples and oranges. Eat one when you start to feel a little hungry.

If you follow these two things, when you sit down for lunch and dinner, you won't be starving. That will help you choose your food rationally and also will help you eat a little less. You wont have to think about the food so much, so you'll be able to enjoy yourself more.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Pack healthy snacks for throughout the day. If you're eating in the waterpark, it might be hard to find healthy choices.

As for fun stuff, go to Mount Olympus! Go carts, wooden rollercoasters, and a waterpark too! We took the kids for our "family honeymoon" when DH and I got married, and a great time was had by all. Another good place to go is The House on the Rock is also a great place to go, although it's a bit of a drive.

Above all, have fun! R&R for both of you!
This discussion has been closed.