Best Running Shoes for Shin Splints?

Options
I've been having a lot of foot issues as of late.... ankle, heel, and outer foot pain into my toes. I have an appointment to see a podiatrist in a month. I've also been known to get shin splints as I increase my distance.

For those of you who get shin splints, what shoe worked best for you?

Shannon

Replies

• duetwithjosh
    duetwithjosh Posts: 121
    Options
    Vibrams! I went from debilitating shin splints to no shin pain literally overnight. Total convert.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store. They will find you a great shoe for the shape of your foot and your running goals. What works for one won't work for another.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Just don't run :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    depends on your foot/body specifically. Go to a store and get fitted for shoes and also try on some vibrams. The running style is different (heel strike vs. toe strike) but its worth comparing. Shin splints can also be a result of adding on too many miles to quickly. To help alleviate the pain, spell out the alphabet in cursive with each foot while sitting down.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Vibrams! I went from debilitating shin splints to no shin pain literally overnight. Total convert.

^^ This! I made the switch 3 years ago. No more knee, shin splint or foot issues. Amazing results. That being said, get the all clear from your doctor first and consider going to a specialty running store to be fitted properly.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would go to speciality store and get your feet fitted for the proper shoe.
    You may over pronate, have high arches, or flat feet so what works for one person might not be the best choice for you.
    I suffer from them on my right leg, I do calf stretches, hamstring stretches and ice, rest, ice rest....and I don't eve run, just very brisk walking!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    the opposite of vibrams!! :tongue:

I needed major physio and weight training after pulling a calf muscle when I switched to vibrams - what I should have done is go to a running shop for gait analysis and got the inward-collapse-supporting shoes I really needed.

that, plus learning to run with my feet further apart seems to have fixed it... (they were crazy close together before, I used to catch my shoe against the inside of my calf the whole time, now it's more normal)
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I went to a Specialty store to get my foot looked at. Turned out I was wearing a Stability shoe, when I should have been in a neutral shoe. This helped tremondously but I let my shin splints go on for too long without resting them...and now I am dealing with issues from a stress fracture :/ Definately rest. I ended up going with Asics 33 Series (their newest line) I might consider trying on Vibrams, but I can't get over the ugliness of them :S
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's likely more than just your shoes. I typically run in New Balance Minimus and have been pain free ever since I got them. They helped me learn how to be less of a heal striker. I also got so sick of shin splints I now only run 1.5-2 miles 3-4 times a week and mainly lift weights. By running LESS it's actually easier and less painful now.
  • duetwithjosh
    duetwithjosh Posts: 121
    Options
    the opposite of vibrams!! :tongue:

I needed major physio and weight training after pulling a calf muscle when I switched to vibrams - what I should have done is go to a running shop for gait analysis and got the inward-collapse-supporting shoes I really needed.

Did you ease into your Vibrams? The company as well as my running store recommended starting with 10% of your normal mileage and *slowly* increasing it. You do use a lot of muscles in your calves and feet that aren't otherwise exercised with a traditional shoe, so it is easy to overdo it if you don't train carefully.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Great advice! If you ever have a cold with a stuffy nose, just don't breath :smile:

Anyway, have you tried running on a softer surface? I used to have some leg pain years ago then I started running on dirt. I'm not sure if it was shin splints to be honest but avoiding the pavement for a while helped.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

+1

Now I get shin splints if I even WALK in my "running" shoes.

I loves me my Vibrams.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store. They will find you a great shoe for the shape of your foot and your running goals. What works for one won't work for another.

^^This...I could give you a list of at least 10 running shoes good for shin splints...but you should mos def go to a running store and have them record how you walk and run. After that a good running store will recommend probably around 3 to 4 pairs/styles for you to choose from..Once that happens...it's all about price, asthetics, and feel.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yep, you could pick 3-5 different kind that would help. I just ran a marathon in Brooks but previously used Nike Shox, loved them.

Go to a shoe store and get fitted.....
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options

^ This! I learned running doesn't agree with my body (my shins and the bones in my legs). I have found LOADS of other workouts that get a better workout overall and doesn't cause me pain (shinsplints). Not everyBODY can do every type/ style of workout.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Asics stability shoes are also wonderful. My shin splints went away completely.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options

THIS. Also, stretch calves. A LOT.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

^ This! I learned running doesn't agree with my body (my shins and the bones in my legs). I have found LOADS of other workouts that get a better workout overall and doesn't cause me pain (shinsplints). Not everyBODY can do every type/ style of workout.
    I firmly believe that the human body was made to run, just not necessarily on such hard surfaces or with shoes that are thicker in the heel so that they cause the ankle to snap down and put extra stress on the shins. But mainly because I read a couple books about it.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

Go back to your purses Troll.

Asics have helped with my running. Very Comfortable as long as you dont have wide feet.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

wow! Really? I hope you actually gave it a try...but sheesh to tell someone to GIVE UP?...

It's refreshing that the OP actually wants to up the distance and keep at it...Not saying you didn't try hard...but some people just do not quit because of wall....they find ways to get over it, go around it, or damnit...GO THROUGH IT!