sodium question. HELP!

twilight
twilight Posts: 11
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
what happens when your over on sodium? is this bad if its only by a little bit and once in awhile?

Replies

• MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    what happens when your over on sodium? is this bad if its only by a little bit and once in awhile?

you retain water. once in a while as long as it doesn't become all the time, I don't see would be a problem.
  • Dalya
    Dalya Posts: 11
    you simply need to drink plenty of water to get it out of your system, without the water it will cause you to retain water in your body. lemon water is a light duiretic to counteract the effects of too much sodium. so is asparagus and celery
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    You sodium intake will only cause you go lose or gain water weight (not fat) so just keep it in mind if you weight a wee bit more in the morning! Just drink extra water and you'll be fine! :drinker:
  • sodium is salt and salt makes you retain water... just be sure to drink plenty of water tomorrow and you'll be fine.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    i gotta say i go over everyday, plus i add salt to just about everything, so far, im losing a pound a week. until that stops im keepin the sodium....
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    i do drink a lot of water too....
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    i gotta say i go over everyday, plus i add salt to just about everything, so far, im losing a pound a week. until that stops im keepin the sodium....

I go over often too and don't use any salt on anything. I guess I don't eat very "clean" so maybe that's the problem. So far, it hasn't hindered my weight loss, but I am still trying to cut back on it. I'm finding it difficult, though :ohwell:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    One of the best things I did for myself was to almost entirely eliminate processed foods from my diet.. When I do occasionally eat something full of sodium I retain water for a day or so. there are some health implications in consuming too much sodium so I try to keep mine way down.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I love my salt, but I hate the swollen fingers and feet and numbers on the scale when I use it. Nevertheless, sometimes...I indulge.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I've been reading a lot lately about the relationship of Potassium to Sodium. I am no expert or Chemist and if we're lucky SHBoss1673 will chime in here - but tracking your Potassium AND Sodium levels is important.

We need sodium to live. Sodium and Potassium work in tandem to regulate fluids in the body and blood pressure. So we can't eliminate all sodium from our diets.

However in this article (http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2009/03/sodium-and-pota.html) they claim that while our ancient ancestors ate a potassium to sodium ration of 3 to 1, today we normally eat 1 to 3. And that's not healthy.

Here is another study that claims that your Potassium to Sodium ratio should be 2:1 in order to avoid cardiovascular disease. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/23/health/he-sodium23

So it's not just how much sodium we take in - it's also how much potassium we're getting.

I don't mean to complicate things, and as I said I'm no expert, but check out the articles above and see what you think.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member

Some people aren't quite as sensitive to sodium as others. The 2500 is what I would guess is the average. cause if I have days where I even get to around 2000 mg of sodium I tend to bloat and I drink loads of water too. You are definately one of the lucky ones.
This discussion has been closed.