Water?

Options
13»

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    untrue. it hydrates less than normal water, but sodas and coffee still hydrate. this is a long perpetuated myth.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Great minds think alike?

I've seen that link before, but in my view it's an instance of dumbing down requirements, the way they keep lowering the amount of time people need to exercise in the hope that people will do something. You can't tell me that any old beverage or food that has water is as good as water. Soups, for example, have sodium. Tea and coffee have caffeine. Juices have sugar.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Actually, to be more specific, caffeine is a diuretic. Takes water from your cells and causes you to expel it. Thus it dehydrates.

I'm no scientist, but unless someone's come up with different evidence since I was in college (admittedly a long time ago), that's how it works.

The evidence hasn't changed, and neither has the dosage. The caffeine in a cup of coffee does, in fact, have a mild diuretic effect. But it doesn't come CLOSE to offsetting the fact that coffee is mostly water.

I suspect this thread is going to get ugly, so one last reiteration of a point I made earlier - don't COUNT DRINKS, use URINE COLOR to determine if you are drinking sufficient fluids. That makes the entire argument that is about to ensue completely moot.

as I have posted in several other threads, urine color is not ALWAYS a good indication of your level of hydration. I discovered this during treatment for kidney stones. i did a 48 hour urine test, had very pale to clear urine for most of the day, and the results showed that I was chronically dehydrated and my output was about 50% of what the urologist expected to see. I had 8+ glasses of "beverages" and I know one day I had several Mountain Dews...
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    untrue. it hydrates less than normal water, but sodas and coffee still hydrate. this is a long perpetuated myth.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Great minds think alike?

I've seen that link before, but in my view it's an instance of dumbing down requirements, the way they keep lowering the amount of time people need to exercise in the hope that people will do something. You can't tell me that any old beverage or food that has water is as good as water. Soups, for example, have sodium. Tea and coffee have caffeine. Juices have sugar.
    Coffee can be better than water. Has antioxidants and has been shown to decrease chance of developing Type 2 diabetes and other diseases.