Psoriasis and Nutrition

Options
Anyone interested in discussing how nutrition can help alleviate outbreaks of psoriasis?

Replies

• sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have psoriais...since 19 years old. ( I am in the 40's now) I have kept it under control by cutting out sugar, wheat and fish oils. Nothing worked before as well as this formula, for me. Of course when I stopped drinking alcohol, it alleviated a lot of the hot spots. I also have inverse psoriasis, pretty painful stuff...still working on a solution. ( I do have a derm/doc...have been through the meds, creams and uv treatments in the beginning when it covered 80% of my body) How about scalp psoriasis? Mine is terrible. I use castor oil and dermarest with salicylic acid, over the counter with ok results.

thanks for bringing this subject up...interested to see others responses :)

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's all speculation but diary, foods high in fat, caffeine, alcohol, and processed flours/sugars can cause psoriasis to flare up.
  • xxcheetaraxx
    Options
    Mine seems to flare in times of high stress - don't know how coincidental it is that my diet does too. :)
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I ran into a diet designed by Deirdre Earls, MBA, RD,LD herself a psoriasis sufferer. It is 1400 C so I modified to 1200 C. She claims that she has kept her flare ups under control and 90% remission by using a dietary approach. You might want to read the article and review the diet found on site dermaharmony. I have suffered from plaque psoriasis on my legs and scalp for a very long time...I have tried everything except diet and I am firmly convinced that what goes into your gut effects your skin. I am interested to start a friends group that would like to experiment with food types that seem to have caused their flareups.
  • exacerbe
    Options
    You should be eating more than 1200 calories a day. A huge chunk of your immune system starts in the stomach/intestines. Food plays a big role in many things. Give things a try... see if it works.. if not... try something else. Just try to eat cleanly... don't expect to see results in a week or so... it takes awhile to see a significant difference.. so don't get discouraged.

Seeing a nutritionist wouldn't be a bad thing either.
  • peggymenard
    Options
    Some of the foods that I know bring on my flareups are:

Gluten
    Distilled vinegar
    Wheat products
    Distilled alcohol
    Beer
    Processed wheat flour
    White flour
  • peggymenard
    Options
    Exerbe, how is your info backed up? I'm not being flip...I am an honest 75 year old woman.
  • exacerbe
    Options
    Exerbe, how is your info backed up? I'm not being flip...I am an honest 75 year old woman.

Considering I have Crohn's disease, I've done tons of research and consulting with doctors. It is proven information that roughly 80% of your immune system is in your gut. Psorasis is an immune disorder. I have it too.. but I think it's part of Crohn's. Most of your list of things that cause flareups contain gluten, except vinegar and distilled alcohol.

All I'm saying is that just give it a try =) if it works, it works. If not, try something else or consult doctors/nutritionists.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't have flare ups. It's constant. It slowly covers more of my body each year, but at least it's a small percentage so far (so minor). I've never understood the flare ups because mine just doesn't work that way.

The worst is my scalp. The only thing I've found that helps is this awesome foam called Luxiq. Works well - doesn't eliminate it for me (nothing does LOL) but improves it and REALLY helps with the itching. It's expensive though.
  • peggymenard
    Options
    I have been researching psoriasis for many years and have worked with dematologist for a long time. I too have a sensitivity to gluten but not full blown CD. I have a friend who does suffer from it and I empathize with you for dealing with this. You could say I am doing a little research on these A I diseases. I would have argued the diet/homopathic approach before but not anymore. You are right..it starts with what goes into the gut.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to flare in times of high stress - don't know how coincidental it is that my diet does too. :)

My Dad hasd it for years when living and working in Phoenix, he retired to Sonoita 50 miles outside Tucson. No stress there only one flashing red light for the whole town. His went away.
  • peggymenard
    Options

Stress is one of the factors that seems to cause the flares. Would you mind if I looked at your food diary? Also, there seems to be a correlation between stress and eating.
  • peggymenard
    Options

My Dad hasd it for years when living and working in Phoenix, he retired to Sonoita 50 miles outside Tucson. No stress there only one flashing red light for the whole town. His went away.

That is very interesting...he really made the great escape. LOL
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed mine being triggered by anything, but I seem to get it in a new place every two years, it lasts a year and then I get a year-long break.

It started on my scalp when I was 18. 19 was a break year. At 20 it went to my toe nails, and 21 was a break. At 22 it was its worst, horrifically bad on my heels to the point where I spent most of the year walking on my tiptoes, bleeding constantly and in agony putting on or taking off my shoes. I eventually found a cream that reduced the effects a little, and made it bearable until the end of the year. At 23, another rest, and this year it's been...one little finger nail. Just one. Best yet! That's recovered now, so I should be on a year's break now. :tongue:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The local University Hospital was doing a study about Psoriasis triggered by injury. I meant to join, but never got around to it. Mine started on a scar on the back of my head where I fell and split it open in college. It's under my hair on the back of my head so I assume that's why mine is worst on my scalp.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have psoriasis but my cousin does and she has been told more than a few times that her diet is contributing to her condition. She eats poorly most of the time...not big on vegetables. So I would say if you have a dietary plan that could improve the health of your skin then stick to it...isn't it worth it? I have also read that the Candida diet is a good one to go on if you are suffering from psoriasis...restrictive diet but maybe worth a try. I did the 10 day candida sugar free detox and it really helped me with my cystic acne which is also a skin condition, but not necessarily auto-immune like psoriasis.
  • aclowe01
    aclowe01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've Noticed a difference when eating 'Night Shade' vegetables. Peppers, white potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes and anything that ripens overnight. The correlation between arthritis and night shades have shown increased inflammation.

Since eliminating them I have seen a marked decrease in my skin lesions and have really bad flare-up when eating hot peppers, usually within 2-3 hours, but I truly believe diet is involved to a larger degree.
  • jiffner25
    jiffner25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am 36 and have had psoriasis since 17, so over half my life. I have quite a few large scales on my body and legs, but the worst place is definitely on my scalp.
    Over the years I have tried cutting out selective foods and seen minor improvements, but then work related stress causes it to flare back up again.
    I have been told diet changes can take months to show any improvements and I don’t know if I could go without the 2 most likely offenders (sugar and gluten) for months.
    However considering all the doctor prescribed lotions and potions haven’t lead to any great improvement, I am keen to share information and perhaps try a new approach.

I am interested in joining a Psoriasis & Nutrition friends group, if anyone sets one up.
    J
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've had psoriasis since I was 3 and stress palys a big part on flare ups for me. As does dry skin, therefore I need to apply lotion every day after I shower. In the summer I don't have very much either due to the fact that some sun helps too. BUT, the biggest difference has been my diet. I completely cleaned up my diet but eating strictly clean foods, meaning as close to their natural state as possible. No processed foods, nothing in a box or a can. Plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats such as chicken, turkey, fish and lean beef. I bake or grill everything and drink lots of water. My skin has never been this soft or so clear. I'm lucky if I can find one spot of psoriasis anymore. Following the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno and reading her book Eat Clean Diet Recharged has changed my life. And, I've never been healthier.
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    I have psoriasis as well along with psoriatic arthritis, and mine usually flares up bad during times of stress and the winter when my skin is the driest.