help!

Options
ARRGGG! I just can't seem to get back on the damned band wagon! I quit smoking cigarettes in June, & I gained 11 lbs back. (besides eating waaayyy unhealthy..) and last month I decided it was time to get back on the band wagon & stop being so depresed. So instantly, I lost 4 lbs when I got back on the wagon, lost another 2 within a week and a half, then went back to the doctor last Thursday, weighed in, and gained 1 lb!! And the hurtful thing is that even though I have been eating way more healthy, I still had a few days last week where I binged.(and over this past weekend) and ate chinese food for 3 days (it was one plate that I ordered that lasted me 3 days..):grumble: I really feel like I have an adiction to food & its hurting me.. I have cut most unhealthy food from my diet, but when I go to the corner store, I can't always say "no". I really do try to say "I'd rather be skinny than eat_____" but it doesn't always work...maybe I'm not fully devoted?? But I really DO want to loose weight! I HATE BEING FAT! any advice please?:sad:

Replies

• Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    :grumble: i hear u i just got on the scales and gained 4 ffffffff pounds...i am a binge eater and have been trying to get it under control ...i have done it before so i kno i can so lets start again..rock on sista and lets get going...i lost 56 pounds 3 years ago and have put 20 back on no more going to eat clean want to join me starting this very day ..TTYs and good luck naw has nothing to do with luck lets just do it r u in i am.....:angry:
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    dont give up..keep going at it and you will get there..i have this problem where it gets closer to the weekend i can eat like crazzy and now i start on thrusday and dont stop until monday and all my hard work that i did was for nothing...but dont throw in the towel just yet..keep telling yourself you can do it..:bigsmile: :wink:
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!:blushing:
  • Nikki143
    Options
    and yes! I go to school M-Th and Thursday night -Sunday I'm like a bottomles pit.. & I really try to not be..But I am a binge eater..grr:mad:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular emotion you are feeling when you desire certain foods? For me, I am an emotional eater. When I first changed my eating habits, I would crave certain foods. I had to stop myself and think, why do I want this or that. Generally it was because I was tired or annoyed or stressed. Over time, the need to eat to fill the emotional issues my life have become fewer, but I still get them on occasion. It isn't easy.

I find that the more you make things off limits, the more you are going to binge on that which you can't have. Maybe if you incorporate some of the more unhealthy foods into your daily caloric intake, you won't be as tempted to eat them. I have learned that I can eat all sorts of "unhealthy" foods, in moderation and still lose weight. I still go out for drinks with friends and will have fried foods or other bad foods. I don't beat myself up over it because I don't do it every day and I don't over do it. Going in with this approach has been more beneficial than any of the "diets" that I have been on. Moderation is the key.

Good luck.
  • Nikki143
    Options
    Lawcat; I suffer from depression & I have my whole life.. I have always been an emotional eater, until one day my foster mother pointed out its not emotional because I eat with everysingle emotion..
    so who knows.. But I must add this..I treated myself to an iced coffee this morning because I went from coffee everyday- to coffee never.. but I only bought the coffee & no donuts or muffins..makes me a lil proud:blushing:
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    You stay proud!! And keep up the good work ... you can do it!!
    A friend told me : It's the elephant and you eat it one bite at a time...

Have a Blessed day!!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It may be that you are a binge eater for emotional reasons, but I wanted to give you some other 'food' for thought. I always thought I was a binge eater, but after closer study when I started this change of lifestyle, it turned out that I was just starving myself until I could not stand it. Then I'd eat everything in sight.

I never ate breakfast, and for the most part would not eat all day. Like everyone else I was busy, too busy to pack a lunch, or make/bring breakfast so I'd just push through until dinner time. Then it was like the flood gates opened and I'd eat all night.

Starving during the day + eating all night = a lot of gained weight.

Once I began eating breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner PLUS three healthy snacks a day I stopped that 'binge' eating.

This may not be the case for you, but it's something to consider. Eating many small meals throughout the day has changed my life.

Don't beat yourself up over this, just start over. Study your eating patterns to discern what might be the cause of your old habits that WILL CHANGE. Knowledge is power, and I know that if I can do this. you can too.

Bless you mightily!
  • Nikki143
    Options
    I usually don't eat breakfast (unless its a dunkies run cause I'm famished at 7 am..) Cause in the morning I can't stand the thought of eating.. This past weekend, (sat & Sun) I didnt eat until after 1pm both days..not starving myself, just not hungry.. then I EAT & EAT..till I'm bloated.. Sometimes i can't stop.. I set up an appointment with a nutritionist, but I haven't looked into if my insurance covers it yet, so I may have to cancel my appt if insurance doesn't cover.. I asked my PCP to refer me to getting the lap band and she said no, which was probably the best answer for me..:cry: although I really want it..
    I am going to the doctors today and they weigh every time you go, so we'll see if I gained\lost\maintained.. But I did get hella excercise in on saturday..like 2 hours of walking doing all my errands starting at 7 am.. and I am not a morning person..lmao..
    another thing that gets me is that I'm done with school August 10! and I am getting rid of my computer at home, so how am I supposed to keep loosing if I don't have MFP??? and I can't afford weight watchers until I get a job..& I'll be a basket of stress stuck in the house for a week between schooling & my externship.. I am going food shopping tomorrow after school, so any good healthy snack ideas would be cool... I do buy fruit and its sooo expensive that by the middle of the month, I cant afford to do more food shopping..sorry guys, I'm kinda ranting here..:explode: but hey, atleats I get it out..
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a mild form of depression as well. I have my good days and bad days. I always will. I know I am an emotional eater and have been for most of my life. Before I finally decided to change my eating habits, I would go home, and eat so much because I just didn't care how I looked. I figured no one else cared either, so what was the point of trying to lose weight or make myself look good.

One day, I woke up and said to myself, I need to get in control of certain things in my life. The first was my eating. The first few weeks, I would have to acknowledge as to why I wanted to eat certain foods. I knew the answer and realized that by eating my emotions wasn't getting me anywhere. Like I said, I have my weak moments where I just want to eat really unhealthy to make myself feel better, but I know in the end, it is only masking how I feel and in the end will only make me feel worse.

I am not saying that my method will work for you, but before you feel that need to buy candy or chips or whatever will derail your weight loss success, figure out why you think eating said item will make you feel better. It really is about retraining your thinking about food and how much of a part of your life it plays. Nothing happens overnight and as I have said, I still deal with my emotional eating when depressed or stressed.

Good luck.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat breakfast (unless its a dunkies run cause I'm famished at 7 am..) Cause in the morning I can't stand the thought of eating.. This past weekend, (sat & Sun) I didnt eat until after 1pm both days..not starving myself, just not hungry.. then I EAT & EAT..till I'm bloated.. Sometimes i can't stop.. I set up an appointment with a nutritionist, but I haven't looked into if my insurance covers it yet, so I may have to cancel my appt if insurance doesn't cover.. I asked my PCP to refer me to getting the lap band and she said no, which was probably the best answer for me..:cry: although I really want it..
    I am going to the doctors today and they weigh every time you go, so we'll see if I gained\lost\maintained.. But I did get hella excercise in on saturday..like 2 hours of walking doing all my errands starting at 7 am.. and I am not a morning person..lmao..
    another thing that gets me is that I'm done with school August 10! and I am getting rid of my computer at home, so how am I supposed to keep loosing if I don't have MFP??? and I can't afford weight watchers until I get a job..& I'll be a basket of stress stuck in the house for a week between schooling & my externship.. I am going food shopping tomorrow after school, so any good healthy snack ideas would be cool... I do buy fruit and its sooo expensive that by the middle of the month, I cant afford to do more food shopping..sorry guys, I'm kinda ranting here..:explode: but hey, atleats I get it out..

Just an FYI.................

If you got the lapband surgery done, you will be forced to live a low carb lifestyle.

Just wanted to let you know, as almost everyone on this site is anti-low carb.