Really frickin hungry

Options
I started MyFitnessPal a while ago but didn't actively do it. Now I am and at first I really really enjoyed it but lately it's become a struggle. It's still relatively early days too so need to nip this in the bud!

MyFitnessPal put me on 1200 calories, which I thought was okay as at the time I rarely exercised and work at a desk. I lost 1lbs in the first week. Woo hoo.

I did actually increase my allowance to 1300 though. As I didn't feel it was enough to work with.

I started the gym two weeks ago and have since lost 5lbs more, but lately I've felt really hungry and miserable. I do eat back the calories I burn off so I didn't think there would be any problems.

But today for example I'm really struggling. Feel dizzy and tired.

Any ideas and advice?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started MyFitnessPal a while ago but didn't actively do it. Now I am and at first I really really enjoyed it but lately it's become a struggle. It's still relatively early days too so need to nip this in the bud!

MyFitnessPal put me on 1200 calories, which I thought was okay as at the time I rarely exercised and work at a desk. I lost 1lbs in the first week. Woo hoo.

I did actually increase my allowance to 1300 though. As I didn't feel it was enough to work with.

I started the gym two weeks ago and have since lost 5lbs more, but lately I've felt really hungry and miserable. I do eat back the calories I burn off so I didn't think there would be any problems.

But today for example I'm really struggling. Feel dizzy and tired.

Any ideas and advice?

Eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I find that getting more protein helps me from feeling hungry. I am trying to eat protein with every meal.
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories for about 5 months. I eat a lot of green veggies (especially spinach and mixed greens) along with lean protein. I can eat a 2 cups of mixed greens for very little calories and I feel like I have had a lot of food.
  • kathy329
    kathy329 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do not know what to say. But I just stated. I lost 2 lbs so far. And yes all of a sudden I am very hungry. And yesterday I became dizzy while I was out walking. :(
  • danapouncey
    Options
    I eat a lot of veg, and go over my protein percentage each day.

Maybe it's just in my head, but I physically feel shakey and drained
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eat back your workout calories & if you are working out intensly I would suggesting eating no less than your BMR you can find calculators online for that :)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BTW, MFP sets your goal based on your inputs. Here is what I mean. I don't know your height but I estimated 5'5" for simplicity reason. You are about 155 lbs and 20 years old.

Your estimate BMR based on Harris Benedict formula is 1541. BMR = metabolic rate or the amount of calories your body burns if you slept for 24hours.

Lets also say, you have a desk job and you are sedentary. That means your Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE) would be:

TDEE= 1541 * 1.2 = 1849 <--- This is the estimated calories you would burn in a given day if you don't exercise. From this number you form a calorie deficit

1/2 lb per week weight loss = 1849 - 250 = 1599
    1 lb per week = 1849 - 500 = 1349
    1 1/2 lb per week = 1849 - 750 = 1200 <-- there is a site restriction on going below 1200
    2 lbs per week = 1849 - 1000 = 1200 <-- See above

Here is the issue. This site doesn't tell you what acceptable based on your goal. Below is the general guidance.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

With that said, you should be aiming for .5-1 lb per week so you don't lose lean body mass (LBM). Losing LBM means a slower metabolism and harder to tone since you have less muscle.

Now lets say you exercise. This means you need to eat more so your body can maintain energy and burn fat. So lets say you burn 500 calories working out. That means your TDEE now increased by 500 calories:

TDEE = 1849 + 500 = 2349

This is really where you form your deficit. And to lose a lb a week it would be

CN = 2349 - 500 = 1849.

Sorry for being a math nerd but it's how I explain it to people. Also, larger calorie deficits don't mean faster weight loss. Mathematically they can, but in reality your body compensates by suppressing the metabolism and using LBM to get energy by converting the amino acids into energy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options

Why are you set at 1200 calories? Go by this guideline:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

So, you should go back to your set up and redo your goals here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

This site also wants you to log all your food and exercise in order to obtain the correct calorie alottments daily.

Read this (from FAQs/Help) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Do not know what to say. But I just stated. I lost 2 lbs so far. And yes all of a sudden I am very hungry. And yesterday I became dizzy while I was out walking. :(

Dizziness is common when not getting enough calories or nutrition. If you lessen how aggressive you are on your "weight loss" goal, it should correct that.

See above, it's because you aren't eating enough.

What is your exercise routine?
  • danapouncey
    Options
    Thankyou! I've been reading about that tdee stuff but jus couldn't get my head around it. You've simplified it for me thanks

I'm 5'5, and 154lbs. Very close psulemon

My MFP has always been set to lose 1.5lbs a week, I changed it to 1lbs and its still only given me 1,200 calories.

I excercise 3 times a week minimum. Around 50mins of cardio, 10 mins strength training.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Ya, EAT!

Manually set your daily calories for no less than your BMR, and eat your exercise calories.

blessings.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I need to eat more than 1300 calories per day to fuel mr body through intense workouts.
  • fan_of_fit
    fan_of_fit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try some high fiber foods! keeps you fuller, longer :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It depends on what those 1200-1300 calories are coming from. If you are eating high protein things you shouldn't be hungry if you are eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories. Your diary isn't open so I can't suggest things to do!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, and protein... that will maintain you fuller longer... how are you getting your calories in? I eat at the most 4-5 times a day...
  • AlabasterJar68
    Options
    I find that getting more protein helps me from feeling hungry. I am trying to eat protein with every meal.

^^^ This
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some carbs
  • abbielle
    abbielle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    if you appear to be eating enough and healthily then it may be good to consult a doctor. It may be something unrelated to diet, or if it is related to diet they will be able to advise you on the best diet to solve the problem.
  • Rerez4747
    Rerez4747 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    make sure your drinking lots of water!