Pregnant with Gestastional diabetes

Options
So I was on here losing weight a few months ago. But now I'm pregnant & 7 weeks from my due date. I found out a couple weeks ago, that I'm boarder line with gestastional diabetes. And now having to watch my carb & sugar intake to keep it under control. So I'm back again, not to lose weight so much, but to track my food & make sure I'm keeping my carbs under control. Any advise for snack & things i can eat?? I'm really struggling staying away from the sugar & sweets. It's horrible. I'm miserable, as this is all I've been craving through this pregnancy. But I can do it. I only have 7 weeks to go. Thankfully, I've only gained around 16lbs so far with this pregnancy. So I won't have much extra, if any, to take off after she's born! :happy: I'll hopefully be able to pick up where I left off before I got pregnant! Thanks for any advice & support you have to offer!

Replies

• garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    All I can say is my heart goes out to you. I had gestational diabetes with my last child and had to test levels after every time I ate. I hated it and was miserable but it is also what pushed me to get healthier since my OB/GYN said that I now have a greater risk of getting it when I am older.
    Snack wise, I bough gobs of sugar free stuff! I had to take meds too because it was sooo high. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I had it with my first pregnancy, and was probably borderline with the last 2 (I kept failing the one hour and barely passing the 3).

For breakfast, if I wanted cereal, all I could have was bran flakes w/ splenda.

Raspberries! They were the only fruit I could eat because they are so high in fiber.

Cheese was a regular snack too, low sugar yogurt.
  • MicheleMMK
    MicheleMMK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the dx. I had it with my last baby. It was tough to keep it up, but I remember eating lots of cheese, nuts & other protein rich snacks. Mine gave me carb limits for each meal and snack. It seemed easier that way. 30 grams for breakfast, so I could easily have oatmeal or Thomas Lite English Muffin (the one with 8 grams of fiber). 45 grams for both lunch and dinner, so I could have serving of rice or a grain if I wanted. Just be sure to measure out your servings, so you're not going over that way. I think snacks could be 15 grams of carbs. A big thing I did to feel fuller is to combine a protein when I had my carbs. So, milk and graham crackers, cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, etc. Good luck. I hated the finger pricking so much, I'm a weenie!
  • klkaten76
    klkaten76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am in your same situation. I am 30w pregnant with twins and also was diagnosed borderline GD. So I am pricking my finger 4x a day to track it and keeping my food log on this website. It helps me so much. I have been very fortunate as my blood sugar has been very controlled as long as I keep an eye on it. And you don't have to forgo sweets - just have to have them in moderation which has also been my challenge. Here are some of my suggestions:

Breakfast - I am usually having an egg white sandwich on an English muffin with a slice of cheese and turkey sausage or deli ham heated through. I also have had these protein pancakes I found online made with cottage cheese, egg substitute and quick oats. They are a different texture than regular ones but with sugar free syrup taste delicious.

Snacks - apple w/ peanut butter, 100 cal Wholly Guacamole pack with cucumber or veggie slices, string cheese, hard boiled egg, fruit popsicle (Edy's), cottage cheese with berries, etc.

Lunch - tuna melt or sandwich, wrap with low carb or whole grain tortilla, salads, leftovers, Subway plain ckn breast wrap with mustard, oil, vinegar and all the veggies, etc.

Dinner - I pretty much eat everything but just measure out every portion. Tonight we're having whole wheat pasta with turkey meatballs and grilled chicken in it with tomato sauce. Last night was grilled chicken topped with FF cream cheese, avocado and fresh tomato salsa, couscous and asparagus.

There are a few things I've found very carb and sugar friendly that I wanted to share as it helps satisfy my sweet tooth too: Laughing Cow Strawberries and Cream cheese wheel (I've put this on an English Muffin and my protein pancakes), Breyer's low carb chocolate ice cream, Weight Watchers brand English Toffee Crunch ice cream bars (these are delicious!), iced decaf coffee with sugar free vanilla syrup and 1./4 cup almond milk.

These are just a few of my go-tos these days until we are free again to not count every gram of carbs and sugar. It's been an eye opener for me for sure and I've been very happy with my results and very rarely get to 120 which is where they want to max out as my "OK" level. Anything under 120 is A-OK they said.

Hope this helps - let's exchange menus and work with each other to get through these last few weeks!
  • jenhill76
    jenhill76 Posts: 23
    Options
    :happy: Yes, this has been hard. The 1st week was a killer! I seriously thought I was going to die from being so run down & tired. It's crazy how much sweets, carbs & sugar effect your body. Now that I've gotten thru the 1st 7-10 days, I feel great. My energy level has returned & I feel even better then before. The sugars keep you on such a roller coaster of highs & lows. So maybe I'll be able to stick with this after the baby's born. I haven't gained much weight with this pregnancy. And losing weight probably isn't what my doctor wants either. But that's going to be hard considering my whole eating habits have changed. I'm struggling to get my calories in just to "maintain" my weight. I've lost 3lbs already. So maybe with some ideas from other people, I'll be able to at least hold the weight I have. I really haven't got any recipes of my own yet. I just started all this. So it's new to me. But add me as a friend & we could share eating journals :happy: I'm always happy to add more support & ideas!