Alli supplement. Yay or Nay?

Options
I am just looking for opinions and information on Alli. Who has used it, was it effective, have you put weight on after not taking it etc...

Thanks all!

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Like I posted in another thread, when you take it the fat just melts right out of you. So wear dark pants.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Sure it works for weight loss... but it can also cause the inability to fully control your bowels.

It's a temporary quick fix.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Like I posted in another thread, when you take it the fat just melts right out of you. So wear dark pants.

LOL...

Unless you want to spend all day in the bathroom, find another way. Using MFP to track calories and exercise perhaps?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    True dat.

alli-nasty-side-effects.jpg
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Best.thing.ever!!!

Uncontrollable diarrhea is always a good way to lose weight.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Best.thing.ever!!!

Uncontrollable diarrhea is always a good way to lose weight.

bwahahahaaa...
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Did not try but shall vote "nay".
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Two words: anal leakage.
    No thank you!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Ewwww, that is just plain nasty. Why would anyone want to do that to themselves and those around them.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Nay, you will poop yourself. I'd rather be fat than have that side effect.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Nay....unless you like wearing Depends.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Leaking liquid anal discharge uncontrollably.

Typing that was a turn off, imagining it... well it's a good appetite suppressant.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    How much weight could I lose using Alli?

Alli can help you lose weight, but the weight loss will likely be modest — perhaps just a few pounds more than you would lose with diet and exercise alone.

The average weight loss for prescription-strength Xenical is about 5 to 7 pounds (about 2 to 3 kilograms) greater than diet and exercise alone after one year. (2, 4) The lower dose Alli could conceivably result in a loss of 3 to 5 pounds (about 1 to 2 kilograms) a year in addition to the weight loss you could expect from diet and exercise alone.

It works, but you will only lose an extra 3-5lbs per year by following their prescribed diet which basically eliminates the "treatment effects".

With the cost of the pills, lets say, about 60$ for a 90 supply, that's about $240 for a predicated 3-5lbs of "extra" weight loss. I don't know about you but $240 for 3lbs of weight loss with a chance of uncontrollable diarrhea isn't worth it.

edit: quote is from MayoClinic
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Nay.

Eating things you can't digest, which is what Alli does to a part of the fat you consume, is a recipe for gas, cramping and diarrhea. If you read the promotional materials, it will only help if you eat at least 9gm of fat per meal. If you don't, you won't lose weight any faster than you would otherwise. If you do, you're VERY likely to have gas, cramping and probably diarrhea.

Just set MFP for a moderate deficit and lose weight. Why make it more difficult than necessary?
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I can't believe the dark pants thing is true....

I don't know what is more humiliating being overweight or being the smells like a toilet person.

I'd pass....
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I used it not everyone gets the lovely side effects.

Really didn't notice much of a difference.

I believe the over the counter stuff they pulled and you can't buy because there were issues with the FDA.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Nay....unless you like wearing Depends.

I don't use Alli and I don't recommend it, but wearing adult incontinence products isn't as bad as you seem to think. I'm a bladder cancer patient and I often can't control my bladder due to treatment. I wear these products every day, all day. It's really not that big a deal.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I used it not everyone gets the lovely side effects.

Really didn't notice much of a difference.

I believe the over the counter stuff they pulled and you can't buy because there were issues with the FDA.

You're mistaken. I saw it on the shelf OTC yesterday.
  • Leesa22
    Leesa22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They must have just put it back on as over the counter, it was taken off all the shelves here, and I mean everywhere. They said there was a recall, I did just take it when I had a fatty meal and was the only time I did. If it is back on the shelves I may go buy more. Just my 2 cents.
  • HeatherNoyes
    HeatherNoyes Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have used it once before when I was on weight watchers and never had ANY side effects, so the pooping issue really is only an issue if you eat more than 15 g of fat per meal. It clearly states that will be a side effect if you do not control fat content. I used it only very briefly because I became pregnant and stopped dieting.

From what I knew before, it is the only supplement regulated and approved by the FDA. It was supposed to give a slight boost in fat loss when followed with ANY low fat diet. Not looking for an easy solution as my dieting methods for the last 50 days have been MFP and exercise. I am doing the hard work...

I am not in the market for needing adult incontinent products, but thank you all so much for your lovely pictures now stuck in my head. LOL.

Was just wondering if anyone used it in conjunction with a low calorie low fat diet.