Hi - I'm new

Options
Hello Community:
I am new and look forward to this journey. My insurance company informed me during their wellness program that I must lose 65 pounds in one year. That is 2 pounds per week. I'm scared I will not be able to do this. This brick wall (65 pounds/65 bricks) that has been placed in front of me will be taken apart one brick at a time. Today is my first day and so far it is very easy to track. Visit my blog as I journal my progress day to day. 4cstadler

Replies

• rcolours7
    rcolours7 Posts: 69
    Options
    feel free to add me as a friend.

wow - very surprised that an insurance company is now telling people what they need to weigh. i hope they take into account any medical conditions that are not associated w/unhealthy weight.

you can lose the 65lbs in 1 yr w/tracking your food - making good healthy choices & adding exercise.

i've lost 17lbs in @ 17 weeks. currently, i've hit a long plateau, but i'm not giving up.

best wishes on a great journey to a better you.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wow! Talk about an ultimatum!

Feel free to add me and I will help where I can. I have lost 27 pounds in 8 weeks (partially due to getting on new thyroid meds) but I was a big eater, so I know you can do this!

Good luck!
  • hotrodchili
    Options
    I've just started too so just hang in there.Its a lot easier if you have the support from others.My daughter and husband are doing the diet plan with me .My daughter lives 3hours away but ts nice to get ideas from her food diary
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That's a crazy ultimatum, but actually very doable. You have the right attitude!

Now for some startup advice (I hope it's good). It's what I've picked up on so far, I know everyone has different opinions and what has worked for them, but here it is:

1) Watch what you eat. Log everything in your food journal. Avoid sugars (no soda, etc.), bad fats, and foods high in sodium, which is almost everything pre-processed. In other words, cook from scratch and eat fresh fruits and veggies.

2) Exercise regularly. Log this in your journal too! Get on a routine, mixing strength training with cardio. Even if you're not looking to bulk up, it's the muscle that burns the fat.

Eat more, smaller meals throughout the day, and eat less toward the end of the day. This, coupled with regular daily exercise, turns your body into a fat burning machine! Your metabolism picks up and melts the fat away! Remember that 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. So if you have a 500 calorie deficit each day, you will lose 1 pound per week.

Good luck on your journey! I accept all friend requests.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I myself am new also. I joined the site in April but rarely used it until now. You can do this, we all can - we all have the same ultimate goal. As for me, my goal is to get to 200 lbs (or smaller - but that's my first goal) before I have a baby (hopefully getting pregnant by end of year). I'm 5'4 and 246 currently - sooooo HERE WE GO!!!

Feel free to add me (anyone) as I could always use the support and ideas from others. :)

TTYL

Shae
  • Fabulousfilet
    Options
    Hi I am new too!! Today is my first day and i FEEL THE SAME WAY AS YOU!!!
  • divebabe32
    divebabe32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up! I have to lose weight for the job i'm going for. I have had 5 kids and can't seem to lose the baby weight . My cousin introduced me to this site and though it is only my 2nd day I already like it. My goal weight loss is about 30 more lbs. I think by sticking to this app it will help and I will be successful as I believe you will! My cousin has lost weight and looks very nice so we can do it also! I have lost 13 lbs and I can say as you lose you do get more energy so it does start to get alot easier so keep that in mind and you will do just fine! Good luck!!
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I am new to fitness pal. I just started today. I could use some friends to help me along the way. I must keep in mind I did not wake up one day overweight -it took a while- so losing will take a while too. Thanks and have a great evening.
  • laurieann1217
    Options
    Hello I'm new also :)
  • iheartredsox80
    iheartredsox80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend!
    I work for a health insurance company and see this often. I too need to lose the lbs as I will have a higher premium! Crazy right?? I like your analogy of the brick wall! You can do it.....WE CAN HELP
  • iheartredsox80
    iheartredsox80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! You pretty much hit it right on! (Puts the "Diet" Coke away) Thanks!!!!!!!!