My target weight should be? (Men only)

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Question for fellow men: How much should I target my goal weight at? I am a 5 feet 9 inches male. I am not looking (currently) to be ultra ripped or anything, just trying to get into a reasonable range and toned up.

I am gonna try to ignore BMI and other recommended weigh suggestion because I know everybody is different and different weights will look different on everybody. I am currently at 263, I think I would look decent at 200 lbs and then I can decide if I wanna go lower or not but just wanted to know if that sounds about the right weight where you'd feel comfortable with your body?

Replies

• NJTeacher411
    NJTeacher411 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can't rely on BMI. According to BMI, Michael Jordan was overweight! 10 years ago, I lost 65 lbs and got down to 185. I'm currently at 248. I would love to get down to 200. People thought I got too skinny at 185. Good luck!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I dont know. When I started I was dead set on being satisfied with being under 300. When I hit that I said 250 then I said 225 now that I am a lb off of 225 I am saying 199. I am sure when I hit 199 I will say 185.

I am 5'11 but I have a long torso and a lot of muscle in my legs / back so I dont reasonably think I will get under 200 but I want to see if I can try ! I think once I hit 200 I am going to focus solely on strength work outs and gaining some muscle.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    You're always going to find different answers online about what the proper body weight range is. I would say anything lower than 150 is too light even for someone not looking for bulk. I am 5'8 and my goal is 150, after body fat lost and then gaining muscle mass from there. I was at 154 and still had fat to lose.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    I'm 5'10, and my goal is 165lbs ... current weight is 170lbs ... but I am going to start lifting heavy to add muscle and get more definition .. and if that means I stay at 170lbs, I will be happy with that.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your BF%.

From there you should be able to figure out how much fat your have. At 20% BF or less you'll look good in clothes, look slim and be at a healthy weight. At 10% BF or less you'll look good naked and have a 6 pack. At 7% or less you'll start to get that gross too slim look that pro bodybuilders have (without the big muscles).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It depends so much on your goals, but generally speaking I'd say anywhere in the 160 to 175 range. For perspective sake, I'm 5'11" and the majority of my pics in my gallery range between 177 (leanest) to about 187.
  • taunto
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I'm still fairly far from the goal but just wanted to get a rough idea or what my goal should be
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1. My goal is 180 lbs
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I'm still fairly far from the goal but just wanted to get a rough idea or what my goal should be

It is very common for people to under-estimate how much they need to lose in order to end up looking like whatever image they have in their head.

Chances are you will not be satisfied at your goal of 200.

Don't get me wrong, you should start with a goal and get to it and 200 would be a great accomplishment -- so don't be discouraged by what I'm telling you. Just trying to prepare you :)
  • taunto
    Options

It is very common for people to under-estimate how much they need to lose in order to end up looking like whatever image they have in their head.

Don't get me wrong, you should start with a goal and get to it and 200 would be a great accomplishment -- so don't be discouraged by what I'm telling you. Just trying to prepare you :)

Oh not at all. I do appreciate it and I knew 200 probably wouldn't be the ultimate goal weight but rather a check-point from where I can evaluate where to go on from.

Currently the biggest milestone would be to get into a shape that isn't round >.<
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm 260, 5'9" and my main weight goal is 200 right now. We'll see though. I have about 170ish in lean mass right now. I don't want to end up with a runner's body and know what I looked like around 200.

But honestly, I'm not worried about my end weight these days. I'm just eating great, working out hard and letting the body go where it needs to go.

Don't give a **** what my final weight is at all. I just want to look and feel great.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You can't rely on BMI. According to BMI, Michael Jordan was overweight! 10 years ago, I lost 65 lbs and got down to 185. I'm currently at 248. I would love to get down to 200. People thought I got too skinny at 185. Good luck!

BMI charts don't apply to athletes, body builders, weight lifters and so on. They're meant for average people.

I'm aiming for 170 which is the top end of the healthy weight for my height. I expect I'll want to drop a little lower than that, maybe down to 155 or so, we'll see.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    At 5'10" I'm about at 200 now and I'm going for 170lbs with a combination of cardio and resistance. Unfortunately, I have these short little legs and a rather long midsection, so visibly defined abs may never be in my future. We'll see what I look like at 170lbs, though.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You should go with what weight you are comfortable at, where you think you look the best, and where your doc says you are good at.
    I am 6'2" and weigh about 268..very obese according to BMI..but I am ok with that =)
  • Cheeessseee
    Options
    see and I think everyone has their own idea of what they want to be at. A few people have said they're 5'9, 5'10, and wanna be 150, 160, 170, I know when i weighed that much i was skinny and ripped. aka wont happen again (thats not my goal currently), I think it just depends on your body type. I am broad across my shoulders and chest and see my self getting to 190-200, i'm 5'9, but much lower than that and I think i would be to skinny for my body (if that makes sense), I think you will know when you get there.... good luck!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    5'9" also. I got down to 140lb but people say I'm too skinny now (which I call BS on since I still have stomach fat).

Calipers put me at around 12% Body Fat, but I do it myself so I'm not sure how accurate that is. Online calculators using tape measurements put me at around 9% Body Fat.

I'm not muscular by any sense but I am trying to bulk up to at least 150, maybe 160 as a final goal.
  • utoxin
    utoxin Posts: 14
    Options
    BMI charts don't apply to athletes, body builders, weight lifters and so on. They're meant for average people.

I'm aiming for 170 which is the top end of the healthy weight for my height. I expect I'll want to drop a little lower than that, maybe down to 155 or so, we'll see.

BMI is for sedentary people. If you do any significant strength training (even body-weight exercises), BMI becomes inaccurate.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Oh not at all. I do appreciate it and I knew 200 probably wouldn't be the ultimate goal weight but rather a check-point from where I can evaluate where to go on from.

Currently the biggest milestone would be to get into a shape that isn't round >.<

Heya man, if you go into my profile, you'll see pictures of me at 220lbs (the fat ones), and at 180lbs (all the rest) or so. I'm only 2" shorter than you are. While that's not a perfect match obviously...it'll get you in the range. My current profile picture is me around 180lbs. Understand also, I DO have a decent amount of natural muscle, but if you're close to 300lbs, I'm going to bet you do too. I would strongly advise strength training regularly to maintain what you've got, and ensure what you're losing is fat. You might be surprisingly pleased at what your 200lb goal nets you if you do.

Good luck!!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Question for fellow men: How much should I target my goal weight at? I am a 5 feet 9 inches male. I am not looking (currently) to be ultra ripped or anything, just trying to get into a reasonable range and toned up.

I am gonna try to ignore BMI and other recommended weigh suggestion because I know everybody is different and different weights will look different on everybody. I am currently at 263, I think I would look decent at 200 lbs and then I can decide if I wanna go lower or not but just wanted to know if that sounds about the right weight where you'd feel comfortable with your body?

Try 170. Once you get close, you'll be able to tell what is going to work for you. Adjust up or down as desired.
  • 912systems
    912systems Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    5' 11" currently at 270 and I want to hit 190 again and own a six pack but not to drink