eating at maintenance and losing weight?

Options
I have a question for all of you. I was wondering if I would still lose a pound a week if I was to eat at my maintenance calories which is 1900 and burn 3500 calories a week (not eating those calories back)? Someone told me that creating a deficit doesn't always mean weight loss so I am confused? Please help

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I would say yes since you still have that deficit. You might not lose as much as you think since most of the time you can't accurately measure how much your burning without certain devices. I don't know where they are getting that from. If you eat too little, then yeah, eventually you won't be losing much. I would think eating more and burning more would actually help. Can't hurt to try it out for a few weeks.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what you are saying. You are suggesting eating at maintenance or TDEE and burning an extra 3500 calories per week? If you are using MFPs system and setting your goals for 0 pounds per week, the answer would be yes. That assumes you are accurately logging your food. I'm not sure what the person meant who told you a deficit doesn't always mean weight loss?? It should!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think if you set your weight in MFP at your goal weight, then ate at that level for maintenance, you would eventually get there.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, a deficit is a deficit whether it's through food or exercise so you would still lose :smile:

As aproc said though, if you're calorie burn estimates are off (an overestimate) you may lose slower, but that's nothing to do with the actual deficit and more to do with inaccuracy.
  • lutkica01
    lutkica01 Posts: 65
    Options
    thank you guys. I keep track of calories lost through my polar FT4. So far it's been pretty accurate. I also do write down everything I eat, even fruit and oil i cook in etc. My rule is if I don't know how many calories it has I don't eat it.