Protein intake too high

Options
i find that I am consistently going over my daily required protein, although I stay stay within my caloric goal. Is that bad?

thanks

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are set to the MFP defaults, they are very low for protein. You can adjust them by going to goals/ change goals/ custom and up the percentages. I'd up protein and lower carbs. There is no harm in eating more protein and some benefit if you are getting exercise.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I highly agree...i lift weights and do cardio and i go 50% over my protein goal set by mfp and havent hit a weight loss slow down yet. Once im to my goal weight ill be eating more protein as my main goal is lean muscle
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein as 15% of daily calories, which is in accordance with US government recommendations. A "high protein diet" is usually defined as 30-40% of daily calories from protein. Although way too much protein can wreak havoc with your kidneys, the 30-40% range is considered safe except for people with specific medical conditions. A lot of people on this site recommend 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat as an idea ratio. Others will say to eat 1 g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (65%-80% of your total weight depending on level of fitness).

Short version: MFP sets protein at a healthy level, but you can eat much more than MFP recommends and still be healthy.
  • naaeghan
    naaeghan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys this helps a lot....i was getting worried since my protein intake's constantly high. :)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    i find that I am consistently going over my daily required protein, although I stay stay within my caloric goal. Is that bad?

thanks

If you searched this subject, you'd find that it's not bad.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goals to be 30%, personally, I try to hit 1g per pound of lean mass (for me that is 105 grams).
  • xmpx07x
    xmpx07x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I had the same problem as you, and being a total beginner, I thought I was eating wrong. So I was trying to force myself to eat less protein and more carbs. Now I know my natural eating habits were okay, and maybe even better for me.

Thanks!