Time to start adding muscle...

Options
Hi there,

So I am getting close to my GW of 168lbs, and and I've reduced my body fat % down to 22% .. I've lost an inch around my waist since April 18th, and I think I can loose another inch or two within the next month to six weeks.... so I think its time to start adding some muscle to my build....

But I have limited funds, and limited equipment. I have a set a cheap dumb bells that can adjust from 5lbs to 20lbs (40lbs max) and I have access to a small gym, where I can do seated, low lat pull-In's, and a bench press...

For the seated lat pull-ins and I can do 3 sets of 12 @ 100lbs (I struggle with the last few reps on the last set)
for the bench press I can do 3 set of 10 @ 30lbs -- I really find it hard to use the bench press!!!!

What would you recommend on doing so I can increase the bench press weight? Would push-up help? What about a cheap pull-up bar (never down them...and not sure if I can...!)

SilMarillion.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What else do they have at this small gym? Any free weights with larger dumbbells and/or barbells? You'll need bigger weights quite quickly for certain exercises.

There's lots of strength training routines you can follow but you do need the necessary equipment. Starting Strength (Rippetoe), Jim Wendler's 5x5, Madcow's 5x5, whatever. You'd want to focus on compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, rows, bench, stuff like that. Pull-ups are good, push-ups are good, dips are good for bodyweight stuff to add to your repertoire. But as I said, you're gonna need the equipment for it.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I have a spotter when I do the bench press so that after my normal sets, I will increase the weight a good bit and do negatives. Seems to be working for me. I also kind of follow the 5x5 on the bench press. I'll do about 5 sets of 5 and then try to increase the weight a bit each week.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    That's all the equipment I have access to... sad, but true.

From do some more reading on the bench press, I get the feeling that its my form that is holding me back... I am using a bench press machine, with pulleys... I think I will need to adjust my position on the bench so my hands so I am hold the drips higher up towards my head... I think.

If I get what the 5x5 is... I would only use the bench press once a week, and it would look like this; assuming I can complete each weight each week

Week 1: 30lbs x 5 x 5
    Week 2: 40lbs x 5 x 5
    Week 3: 50lbs x 5 x 5

The machine can only go by 10lbs at a time....
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can start with body weight exercises.
    Pull ups, push ups and dips.