Is anyone doing the Disney Princess Half Marathon Feb 2013

Options
It has been a dream/goal of mine to do this Half Marathon for two years now. I am finally going to achieve that goal! Right now I'm doing the Couch to 5K program and from there I will build/train to be able to do the Half. Is anyone else planning on doing this race?

Replies

• ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I know four people who did it last year and had a blast.
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    I was planning on doing a breast cancer half marathon in Feb 2013 in Jacksonville, but now that you mention this one, I may check with my girl friends and see if they'd rather do Disney. Thanks for the idea.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    one of my friends on here is! bump!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Totally want to! That is on my bucket list to do :)
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine and I both want to rEALLY bad!!!
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We will be in Disney February next year and I've never heard of this - please tell me more!
  • amyrenroman
    Options
    The Princess Half looks like so much fun! You can dress up as a princess and everything. :) My only concern is the pace requirements, but I'm training to keep a pace slightly below the requirement so hopefully it won't be an issue. Here is the link to the race itself. You can even sign up for an email when registration opens next month. http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/princess-half-marathon/
  • momfit36
    momfit36 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am planning on doing it. I did it a couple of years ago and it was so much fun!. I, of course, got sick with a high fever the day before the race so I ended up walking the whole thing. WHile I was glad to have finished, I was bummed I didn't have time to stop for pics. So I am hoping to train to be fast enough to get some pictures along the way. It's a ton of fun and a great supportive environment
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm working up the courage, haha! I have a friend that did it last year who wasn't a runner until she decided to train for that. It really inspired me, and the pics made it look like a blast. I've done 3 5Ks this year and am working today a 10K this fall... hoping that'll get me ready for the half next year. Hope to see MFPers there :)
  • sherrykwilk
    Options
    I have done this race and yes it is fun! There are lots of walkers (I am a walker) and the pacing requirements are a little strict because it is Disney. You need to be able to finish in approximately 3.5 hours. Disney has be known to sweep the course if you are behind pace...minimum is 16min/mile. Good luck!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have fun girls. I am doing the Goofy.
  • momfit36
    momfit36 Posts: 7
    Options
    The Goofy is my ultimate goal. I want to do one marathon, just to say I have done it. What better place than Disney? Good luck with training. And for those who want to do the Princess half-- Do it! It's a ton of fun. They are strict about the pace requirement, but the time starts from the last person who crosses the start line. So the further to the front of the corrall you can get, you get a little bit of a cushion.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Disney races are a blast! I've never run the princess. (Wine & Dine Half and (2) Goofy's) Currently started training today for the Disneyland Half Marathon to earn my coast to coast! I've never seen anyone get swept but I did talk to a guy after the last Goofy I ran and he was swept. He said they gave him a warning but he couldn't keep up. He was swept at mile 7. My understanding is the "sweeper" starts after the last person crosses the start line. They maintain the 16 min pace required. My first Goofy I was passed by a power walker! I was running I was not a happy camper but it got my bum moving!
  • hkaldis
    hkaldis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Disney Princess Half Marathon is what motivated me to begin this journey! I LOVE all things Disney and if anything can motivate me, it's Disney. I saw a YouTube of an old Disney Princess Half Marathon and made up my mind I was going to do that! I posted to Facebook, to make myself more accountable and began my journey January 1, 2012. Almost 60 pounds down, and I am now able to run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Failure is not an option, and I refuse to accept a medal if I get swept, and I REALLLLLLLLY want that medal. So July 10, as soon as registration opens, I will be online. I've already booked a spa package for after the race, as I hear those fill up fast. I know I won't be able to run the entire thing, but my goal is to finish in the allotted amount of time. I'm already working on my Minnie Mouse costume...I can't wait. I am also going to do the 5K with my 12 year old daughter! I hope to see many MFP members there! We need to stay in touch!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    would be an awesome one to do!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am registering next month!
  • new318
    new318 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 5k they have in nov, Jan, and Feb and possibly the half marathon in Feb as well, but they suggest training to do a 15 min per mile for the entire 13+ miles and said if you cant dont do the race because they will not refund you the funds if you have to be picked up even by the 3rd mile. Ive been training everyday or every other day using the same program. It has also been suggested to me to run a 10k before attempting a half Marathon to see how I can do physically and mentally before I run a half. Good luck and see you there!
  • jenniferlmartinez
    jenniferlmartinez Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do it. I'm just not ready yet. :cry:
  • amyrenroman
    Options
    I'm just hoping I can be ready. I am doing the couch 2 5K right now and it's hard on me. But I'm not giving up yet :) It's my goal to get to continue training after I finish C25K and get to a 15 min mile pace to give me some cushion for the race. Regardless, I'm going to do it. Even if I get swept I want to try :)
  • new318
    new318 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do it. I'm just not ready yet. :cry:

Youll get there with focus and determination :D Thee is one in Jan and 2 in Feb maybe Ill see you at one of them.