Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Recovery and exercise...

Hi All!!
I am a few days out from multiple umbilical hernia repair surgery. My incision is obviously still in healing mode and i'm trying to take it as easy as possible until it heals. In the mean time, are there any recovery exercises that you can suggest to help me stay on track and maybe even heal better? I absolutely will head my Dr's advice in trying to not lift over 10 lbs and what not, but I am scheduled to run in a 5k on the 30th and although I know I won't be up to full speed by then, i'd like to do anything I can to not completely lose the cardio I have worked so hard to build up. Any advice from fellow recovery patients, runners, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help and encouraging words!

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    My advice would be to take it easy while you recover. You may want to take the cardio into the pool. Swimming slow laps or even walking through the water may be beneficial. Best of luck in your recovery.
  • apilant
    apilant Posts: 87 Member
    Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I can't get in a pool til my incision is healed but I didn't even think about it as a recovery exercise til you said it. Thanks!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    What about some tighten/release exercise? Not a whole lot of cal burn but you can definately feel that your muscles are working. Example tighten buttocks and thighs, hold for 60, release. Then tighten calves, hold for 60, release, alternate. You can do this with arms, neck, pecs, etc. It's also supposed to help releave stress.
  • apilant
    Thank you!!!!!! Great ideas!
  • apilant
    UPDATE: I am 2 weeks out from surgery and feeling much better. I went for a little hike Monday night (Dr okay'd it) and I ripped the edge of my incision and had to have it stitched back together. Since I still can't swim until that is healed, I have been lifting small hand weights, but i'm looking for something to help with toning my legs up before our annual float trip (in six weeks). anything anyone can suggest to help with this, but won't affect my incision would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!!!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    UPDATE: I am 2 weeks out from surgery and feeling much better. I went for a little hike Monday night (Dr okay'd it) and I ripped the edge of my incision and had to have it stitched back together. Since I still can't swim until that is healed, I have been lifting small hand weights, but i'm looking for something to help with toning my legs up before our annual float trip (in six weeks). anything anyone can suggest to help with this, but won't affect my incision would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!!!

Don't know where your incision is but there is always "the chair" - you know. Sit against the wall until you feel like your legs are going to die. But do not stand up, instead when you are done, slowly slide down the wall so you don't hurt yourself. For the calves, sit in a chair so your legs are squared up. Put hand weight above knee (not on knee - you'll hurt your knee), bring heal off ground.

Also, google chair exercises =)
  • bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Feel good story of the day...Way to stay motivated and keep your head up