Back hurts after crunches

Options
I'm sure I must be doing them wrong, because my back hurts when I do crunches! Granted, I haven't done crunches in I don't remember how many years, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to feel it in your abs, not your back! :tongue:

Replies

• claramay66
    claramay66 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    watch so youtube videos on the subject they can help you out too
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You would probably benefit from doing some back strengthening, and more overall core exercises as well as crunches if you are feeling back pain, I had a weaker back too, but doing more back strengthening helped, you should try to work back and front side by side I think :)
    JMO!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Suggestions for back strengthening exercises please? I do not go to the gym, so this is purely with home-available resources!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would suggest ditch the crunch and try a plank. Or like someone said have a check on youtube videos for your form
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Suggestions for back strengthening exercises please? I do not go to the gym, so this is purely with home-available resources!

Nope, you can do stuff at home, just some floor work, probably good to Google, but things like planks of course, and bridges (lay on you back, arms at side, knees bent and lift and thrust the pelvis up - give the butt a nice squeeeeeeze at the top - then lower, slow and controlled, remember to breath!) superman (like a back crunch, lay on your tummy, arms at side and lift the upper torso a few inches above the floor and lower, repeat) another (Don't know the name) up on hands and knees arch your back like a cat and then relax it down, Prone leg extensions, (lay on tummy supporting your upper body on you forearms and slowly lift one of your legs off the ground a few inches lower and repeat.

They should be gentle, careful, slow and controlled moves, keeping tension and remembering to breath. do a few reps of each.
  • Modcom
    Modcom Posts: 18
    Options
    Check out Scooby, he has great advice for beginners.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yea like Libby81 said, ditch the crunches, give planks a try. Regular and side planks, see if that helps. Try doing a regular plank, see how long you can hold the position and you WILL feel it in your tummy!

-V-