Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit - Article about the completed experiment

Options
Apparently the Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit experiment is done--and the trainer who did it says he has a whole new perspective on what it's like for an obese person to start fitness training and dieting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2154501/From-hands-dad-obese-layabout-Super-fit-trainer-gained-lost-72lbs-bid-empathise-clients-reveals-emotional-toll-radical-experiment.html

I found this really interesting. I hadn't heard about the experiment before today, and I don't normally care for the Daily Mail's "FeMail" articles, but I would be interested to check out this book. I also hope it helps other 'naturally' fit people understand what someone like me goes through daily--I found a huge lack of sympathy from people I knew over the years. Getting started is NOT easy for most of us, I think...I hope he brings some of that understanding to his future clients!

Replies

• divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, no comments or opinions? XD I have been dying to know what you guys think--there was a bunch of discussion on this topic when it started and I wondered what the MFP community must think. :) Especially since he seems to touch on a lot of the feelings that were new to him, but not new to people like me who have been struggling with our weight for years. Any thoughts?
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just finished watching it on Nightline on ABC. Very very interesting. Too bad all trainers aren't required somehow to go through something like that experience to make those who don't understand the struggles a little more sensitive I guess you could say.
  • Reginahasdoneit
    Options
    I had never heard anything about this experiment until today, while I was watching CBN. It pleases me and motivates me, because so many people want FAT people to be skinny or stop getting bigger, but no one understands the mental and emotional struggles you have no matter how many times you try to loose weight or want to loose the extra weight and get rid of the budge. Everyone is not ready to get under the blade and have surgery. Everyone is not willing to be a test pig or test rat with all the craziness of so many diets, and places that are supposed to help you loose weight. Weight places like Jenny craig, Weight watchers, etc. you want to join, even though they say its free for 1 month or 3 months or $1 for the first month, it is isn't true, it is more than that to actually sign up. A lot of people can't afford to join them, they make it easier to grab a burger or some chinese food and sit down in front of the television and watch tv for 5 hours instead of just walking around the block.

I am very happy for his willlingness to WANT to relate to overweight people and our struggles. This is motivating to me and making me want to work down the street to the gym (that I can't join because it is to expensive and I am not working) and back home. This motivates me to attempt to get those extra 75 pounds off in 6 months. This makes me glad someone knows it isn't easy to break bad habits or to get rid of addictions.

In this culture where everyone is microwaved, nipped, and tucked. You want something positive that you can stick with for a long long long long time and have a regular life.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I've been following this guy since the very beginning of his expirement. He did a pretty great job getting his body back into shape. He throws a lot of bioscience out in his meal plans tho.. Like eating 6x a day which I don't necessarily agree with.