Over watering yourself.

StVal
StVal Posts: 91
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I was told recently that if you drink TOO MUCH water, that you can drown. Has anyone else heard this before? If so, how is that possible?

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    You have to drink a ridiculous amount of water in a very short period of time to do this.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    You CAN overhydrate. This tends to happen most frequently to people that run marathons or do large amounts of cardio. It has something to do with your electrolyte balance and a person's sodium levels. I believe that salt and sugar are recommended to keep things in check. (I am by no means an expert, I've just done a lot of hiking and I know it was a concern that while one needs a LOT of water while hiking at high altitudes, we had to make sure we didn't over do it.) I think that is why athletes drink things like Gatorade...
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    I researched this before, and from what I read yes it is possible, but it is usually not a problem for the average person. This is something that happens to people using certain illegal drugs that affect their mind in a way that causes them to feel thirsty when they are not. They can end up over-drinking and "drowning" from the inside-out. Unless you're on some freaky drugs, you should be fine. Your body will let you know if you even approach this limit, because you would feel ill. :drinker: Wish I had this problem! I struggle to drink all my water, especially when I'm at work and have to use the public washroom:grumble: lol
  • Love all the helpful input!!!255138.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
This discussion has been closed.