to HRM or not? Which type?

Options
amoeni1
amoeni1 Posts: 87 Member
I have been doing a lot of research on heart rate monitors. Right now, I am doing insanity and adding in other workouts 3-5 days a week extra. I want to make sure I am eating the right amount and I think it would be motivational to see how many calories I burn. I don't want to spend too much on a HRM (70-80 is the absolute max). I want one that works well and counts my calorie burn pretty accurately. Please let me know what you think on HRM, if I should get one, and which type to try (also maybe where I can find it). Thanks!

Replies

• mjok31
    mjok31 Posts: 84
    Options
    I would get one for sure!!! I LOVE mine....I use the Polar FT 7. I got mine at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com they offer free shipping and mine was around $70 when I got it. It has been the best investment for me in awhile :) I have many friends that also use this HRM and love it just as much as I do!
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and love it! My boyfriend has a Polar FT7. That one has more features, but he doesn't even use them.

I definitely recommend it! One day I can burn 350 cal for a workout and the next 240 for the exact same workout.. Yeah I can tell because I know I didn't put as much effort but I wouldn't be able to get an accurate number without my HRM! Love it :)
  • amoeni1
    amoeni1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I just purchased a polor ft7 HRM from the website you listed. I can't wait to get it and see how it works.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    FT7 is a great choice! just got mine... only $75 shipped. Love it so far.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I had this same question.... do these that are listed work inside? I do DVDs at home in the am and want one that will work inside. I have a fitness watch but it only works outside.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I had this same question.... do these that are listed work inside? I do DVDs at home in the am and want one that will work inside. I have a fitness watch but it only works outside.

You probably have a GPS.
    A heart rate monitor picks up your heartbeat. Doesn't matter where you are.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 also and I LOVE it. I've had it since mid April and it really challenges me to see how much I can burn. It can be addictive, but in a good way! :smile:
  • cmhollis1
    cmhollis1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you happen to have an iPhone 4S then look into the Wahoo Fitness Blue HR. I have one and absolutely love it.
  • jrlja5
    jrlja5 Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi
    I just bought one on Friday and am still getting used to it. But boy, I used it today at work and I couldn't believe the calories I burn in a day. I really didn't think I burned that much. What an eye opener. I bought a new balance at target. 50.00 They also have one for 100. that has the pedometer in it, but I'm fine with this one. hope this helps. good luck.