What Happens When...

Options
What happens when you go to a restaurant and you can't find their nutritional information online? I had lunch with my best friend today at a restaurant called "Stir Crazy". It's a restaurant with Asian food. When I got home to look up the info, their site didn't list anything and I'm not sure what to put in my food diary.

I had the sesame chicken off their menu... it wasn't the full dinner plate, it was called something like the 'right size, right portion' plate. My friend and I also shared the chicken lettuce wraps appetizer.

I'm just totally lost at what to put in my food diary. Do I just pick something from a different restaurant and 'hope' the nutritional info is close?

Thanks for any help if anyone knows what I should do.

Replies

• July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I use 2 methods. First, I try to guess the portions and the ingredients and figure out what that would amount to. I multiply that by 1.5, because I have a tendency to under estimate, especially sauces. Then, I try another restaurant or Calorie King's guess at a similar dish. I take whatever is higher.
    I usually save a bunch of calories, like 1000, for when I'm going out, because I don't want to go over.
    I hope that's helpful?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I enter each ingredient separately. Takes a while but it's usually pretty correct.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I guess at main ingrediants and amounts.
    Then I add 2 TBS of butter to make up for sauces etc.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just try to find something that seems comparable even if it's from a different restaurant. I know my calories are never perfect but they're damned close!
  • daniyar8701
    daniyar8701 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I ended up looking up just "Sesame Chicken" and put it in.

My weakness when it comes to all this is that I'm horrible at guessing the amount I had. I can't tell how many ounces of chicken or rice I eat. That's just something I can't eyeball. Maybe over time I'll get better at it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My weakness when it comes to all this is that I'm horrible at guessing the amount I had. I can't tell how many ounces of chicken or rice I eat. That's just something I can't eyeball. Maybe over time I'll get better at it.

After months of logging I can recall my meals with amazing accuracy and I'm so much more aware of portions. You'll get better with practice too I know it! :flowerforyou:

This helped me a lot:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/10-ways-to-measure-perfect-portion-sizes/pictures/index.html
  • daniyar8701
    daniyar8701 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

After months of logging I can recall my meals with amazing accuracy and I'm so much more aware of portions. You'll get better with practice too I know it! :flowerforyou:

This helped me a lot:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/10-ways-to-measure-perfect-portion-sizes/pictures/index.html

Thanks for the link! That visual aid in comparing it to something else seems like it will really help!