Why villify white rice?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe brown rice is actually worse then white rice?

Crazy talk:

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice.
    Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J.

Departamento de Tecnologia e Ciência dos Alimentos-CCR-Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, RS.
    Abstract
    Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental datas does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutricional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

(not that this matters unless your diet consists primarily of rice).

Anti nutrients! the Paleo peeps were right
  • jazzrose007
    jazzrose007 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It was very interesting to read the different comments on this thread. For many years I have tried to stop eating white rice because everyone told me that it is bad for me. I have recently purchased a very expensive brand of brown rice and I absolutely hate it!! I will never like brown rice. I am a white rice addict and I can not give it up! I have come to the realization that I LOVE white rice and now I measure it before and after cooking it. Portion control is key because there are many calories in the rice.

Calories in versus calories out, that's the bottom line!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My daughter lives in France and says no one is overweight. When she comes back to the US to visit, she notices all the obese Americans. She says the French are slim because they eat 3 meals a day and that's all. They eat white bread, butter, cream, wine, pasta, etc., but when breakfast is done, everything is put away till lunch. Ditto for lunch. Nothing till dinner. They also eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. Americans snack on junk all day. And personally, I love white rice, but because of my age (52) I am always looking for more fiber. We eat brown rice most often because of that.
    She's wrong of course.... But FEWER people are over weight. Not "no one".
    That said, they seem to be headed our way.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My daughter lives in France and says no one is overweight. When she comes back to the US to visit, she notices all the obese Americans. She says the French are slim because they eat 3 meals a day and that's all.

I hear this all the time ("no one is overweight in fFance") but when I was there just last year, it was certainly not the case. And no they weren't tourists.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Anti nutrients! the Paleo peeps were right
    Of course... we all know cave men only ate enriched white flour and avoided whole wheat like the plague (which they also had to avoid at that time). I am fairly certain that this instruction was given to them by Jesus riding a velociraptor. Oh the good old days!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My daughter lives in France and says no one is overweight. When she comes back to the US to visit, she notices all the obese Americans. She says the French are slim because they eat 3 meals a day and that's all.

I hear this all the time ("no one is overweight in fFance") but when I was there just last year, it was certainly not the case. And no they weren't tourists.
    Oh le humanity!
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    White rice is my life. Breakfast with eggs, lunch with soup, dinner with meat....or as sweet rice, or rice pudding. Hello, suhhhh good!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    personally brown rice sucks the big one and it doesn't really have that much more nutrients anyways, and it tastes nasty, white rice all the way!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    personally brown rice sucks the big one and it doesn't really have that much more nutrients anyways, and it tastes nasty, white rice all the way!!
    I couldn't possibly disagree more. cheers!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Japanese people are thinner than the average American because A) they walk every where as opposed to driving and B) they have a culture that instead of "supersizing," follows practices like hara hachi bu. And also, their genetics are different than our so you probably can't compare then easily. And the women don't really eat that much, honestly.

And YES, one CAN "lose weight while eating normal food" AND, turns out, NOT EXERCISING. It's ALL about portion sizes. It's not something magical. White rice isn't evil, it just may not have as much nutirtional value as other rice. But whatever, you can get that from other places.

If you haven't lost any weight for months, you either aren't following your goal or your goal is set too high. If you aren't following your goal consistently then I can't help you. But if your goal is wrong, message me if you want and I will go over your numbers with you.

And live it up in Nihon!:drinker:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot of time with programmers from India this fall and the majority of them were vegetarians and they didn't eat much bread. They would eat naan but if we ordered sandwiches most of them would eat around the bread or only eat half. The amount of naan they ate was about 1/4 of the amount of naan the American's would eat. The white rice they ate was pretty much their only grain. They all brought their own food on trips. I don't think any of them traveled without lentils in their suitcase. A couple of them told me they would get sick if they ate like we did.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Its a pure carb with low nutritional value. Its digested very quickly so it great for quick energy. But for me and my diabetes, its not a good food.

^^This is why. Americans respond to the blood sugar spike by eating more.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Why? Because it's a lot easier to decide certain foods are evil than to own up to our failings and take responsibility for the consequences of our choices.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love white rice as well, and have lost weight.
    I just don't eat it in excess, of course :)

Like someone else said, weight loss is much more complicated than one "bad" food. It's up to many many factors, and you have to find what works best for you! Best wishes in your weight loss :)
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    I think they are thin because they walk everywhere. They eat white rice, because it's cheap. If you look at the other foods consumed I would say overall caloric intake is low.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    because it takes the focus of the real issues of why americans have become more obese than ever.. most of those foods are are subsidized by the government
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Despite eating so much white rice, the average Japanese person consumes only 2,810 calories per day. The average american consumes 3,770 calories per day.

If you are trying to maintain your weight and do not have issues with blood sugar, white rice should pose no problem. For people who are in the beginning stages of insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, they probably won't lose a lot of weight eating easily digestable carbohydrates like white rice.

One thing to keep in mind is that insulin is a biochemical prison guard that prevents your body from using stored fat as an energy source. So if the food you eat all day long is triggering insulin production, your body is unable to burn stored fat. While trying to reduce your body fat significantly, try to chose foods with a lower glycemic index.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    because it takes the focus of the real issues of why americans have become more obese than ever.. most of those foods are are subsidized by the government

It's a CONSPIRACY!!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    See! Look! The Japanese eat white rice and look how thin they are!!!

Justifying eating something is usually what it all boils down to. As a few have touched on, there is much more to this situation, and there always is when comparing foods across cultures.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

One thing to keep in mind is that insulin is a biochemical prison guard that prevents your body from using stored fat as an energy source. So if the food you eat all day long is triggering insulin production, your body is unable to burn stored fat. While trying to reduce your body fat significantly, try to chose foods with a lower glycemic index.

Stop talking about things you don't understand.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319