Salt, We Misjudged You

Options
2»

Replies

• schmoogie813
    schmoogie813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a congenital heart defect, therefore, I never have salt and if I do, it's already added. At restaurants, both my husband and I speak to our servers and the manager about my salt intake needs. Most will not add the salt when asked. Sometimes, I have to forego all seasoning, I tend to ask for mustard and dip away. it helps.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I love salt too, and once upon a time I thought as you did, then I hit 42. Suddenly, a bowl of salty popcorn leaves me laying in bed at night listening to my heart pound all night.
    I will still use a little salt here and there, but I can no longer handle much of it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have a congenital heart defect, therefore, I never have salt and if I do, it's already added. At restaurants, both my husband and I speak to our servers and the manager about my salt intake needs. Most will not add the salt when asked. Sometimes, I have to forego all seasoning, I tend to ask for mustard and dip away. it helps.

I also have a congenital heart defect, but I'm on a high sodium diet because mine leads to hypotension (abnormally low blood pressure). I had to learn all about sodium and potassium balance from my doctor.

I'm glad you are able to manage your intake. It's difficult when eating out to get the right balance.
  • LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Junk science did a whole segment on salt.

The only things I believe in are death and taxes.

:wink:
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Really weird how this was posted today. I went to the doctor just yesterday to get my results from blood work I had done. I have been having very bad muscle pain/cramps, fatigue, and what I thought was anxiety attacks but were actually abnormal heart rhythms. Come to find out I was Hypokalemic, very low potassium. Along with the Potassium supplement he asked me if I used salt, which I do not because I have Meniere's and sodium aggravates it. He said that could also be one of my problems, he said to start using salt but use sea salt. I do like salt but we have don't even have a salt shaker in the house, lol, I guess I will have to get one.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.jumpstartmd.com/part-1-of-2-demonizing-salt-does-it-make-sense/
    http://www.jumpstartmd.com/conclusion-demonizing-salt-does-it-make-sense/

Carbohydrates retain salt and hence water, as a low carb eater I take plenty of salt and leave my kidneys to do their job. If they were broken I guess I would have to think again.

The science linked further up the thread seemed to use the word "may" and "associated" a lot. In other words a fairly weak link.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

The science linked further up the thread seemed to use the word "may" and "associated" a lot. In other words a fairly weak link.

Science ALWAYS uses those words. It doesn't speak in absolutes.