Starting today no wheat,soy, or fish

Options
AmyNVegas
AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
I had extensive food allergy testing and turned up many food allergies. :frown: My doctor suggested we start by eliminating wheat, soy, and fish since I was allergic to all fish except salmon which he said I could have. So I am starting today with a wheat, soy, and fish free. So far only habit changes and really careful label reading. Corn tortillas instead of toast with breakfast. no other breads so far or starches. I found a really good cheese stick made out of basmati rice that is saturated fat free and low carb, too. I am not sure if the allergies are causing some of my food issues but it is worth a try. I have been a food addict all my life so hopefully this will change things. The biggest thing I have found in foods is that I am surprised how many foods have hidden wheat. I knew about hidden soy but now hidden wheat. Modified food starch is not labeled which grain it comes from most times so I have to assume it is wheat. I am also allergic to several fruits and veggies including the whole pepper family, and several spices including black pepper. I will see him in 6 weeks and see where we go from there after I get used to the no wheat and soy diet.

So if there are any suggestions out there, products you have tried and liked or didn't like please let me know. I can use all the help I can get with these changes!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to say good luck . You seem to be hadling this much better than I ever could. :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    These are really good with extra, ultra, super sahrp cheddar cheese. They are gluten and wheat free, as I have a wheat intolerance also.............

Pretty natural, they sell them at my health food store.

51XcktV58IL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    These are really good with extra, ultra, super sahrp cheddar cheese. They are gluten and wheat free, as I have a wheat intolerance also.............

Pretty natural, they sell them at my health food store.

51XcktV58IL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

These are yummy and I am lucky I can eat wheat good luck to you
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Dietary restrictions can be difficult. My mom and brother along with several aunts and uncles have Celiacs disease which is caused by an allergy to gluten in wheat and barley and other grains. They have to eliminate gluten in their diet completely. (the gluten is what makes the bread sticky) The best thing you can do is stick with fruits vegies and protein as that does not contain any wheat or soy. :smile:

For support and information there are many, many books out there and websites. You can google gluten free or celiacs disease. As far as recipes--You can substitute cornstarch for flour as a thickening agent for soups or sauces. Use rice instead of pasta--there are good GF (gluten free) pastas out there such as tinkyada. Check out your local whole foods market and your local grocery store may even have a section. Just don't forget to read the labels!

Gluten/wheat free dieting is becoming mainstream more so now with Elizabeth Hasselbeck's new book the G-free diet. It is not a fad diet I would choose but apparently many people are. :noway:

The cookbook I know my mom would recommend is Betty Hagman's She has great recipes and flour mixes if you enjoy cooking.

I wish you well. Good luck with everything! Let me know if I can help in any other way.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    BTW Modified food starch is generally corn--but I wouldn't take a chance unless they specify. :bigsmile:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mention it but among my other allergies were most tree and peanuts including almonds which sucks because I really love almond milk. Just tried rice milk but it is so sweet tasting. Any suggestions for a sugar free one? I looked at our local stores and none to be found. I am not allergic to milk just don't like the heaviness of it even skim.

Deb thanks for the tip on mod food starch. I noticed the pork n beans say modified corn starch but the all natural rice a roni says just modified food starch.
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to say good luck . You seem to be hadling this much better than I ever could. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the support! :flowerforyou: If I couldn't cook I would be more worried about it but I cook and prepare most of my foods from scratch and they have a lot of products on the market now that are wheat and gluten free even soy free since they are becoming very prevelant allergies. Luckily!:flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mention it but among my other allergies were most tree and peanuts including almonds which sucks because I really love almond milk. Just tried rice milk but it is so sweet tasting. Any suggestions for a sugar free one? I looked at our local stores and none to be found. I am not allergic to milk just don't like the heaviness of it even skim.

Deb thanks for the tip on mod food starch. I noticed the pork n beans say modified corn starch but the all natural rice a roni says just modified food starch.

What about hemp milk?

I use that and it is nice tasting. And it is very good for you too.

hemp-milk1.jpg
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy!

Las Vegas has tons of good stores! You have Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe's, Fresh & Easy, Sun Naturals, and many, many others! Albertson's, Vons, etc, also have natural foods in their stores, although quite limited.

My oldest daughter was diagnosed last year with Multiple Sclerosis and we have chosen to treat it with diet. I have done hours and hours and hours of research, and it, along with many other auto-immune diseases, is triggered by food allergy/sensitivity. She, along with the rest of our family, has been gluten/dairy/legume-free for a year now, and doing very well! It's really not hard to do nowadays, however, you must do your homework, and prepare all of your meals yourself (unless you don't mind giving your host the third degree!).

Rice milk, as well as hemp milk, comes with or without sweetening or flavoring. I like coconut milk from TJ's; it doesn't have anything added at all and is a good cream substitute. Rice cheese is available, as well as veggie cheese, but make sure and read the labels. Shoshannah cannot have legumes of any kind, and guar is a legume (xanthum is fine). Some of the cheeses have pea flour or oat flour in them as well, and oats, while they don't have gluten in them directly, are contaminated unless grown at a dedicated farm. Anything with malt is a no-no. We've found that we can still have pizza and beer, but we have to make the pizza ourselves, and we use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza mix (using Flax Seed Meal instead of eggs) and Redbridge Gluten Free Beer. Rice and Tapioca bread can be found at most of the stores that I've listed. Since TJ's and F&E are usually the least expensive, I shop there, as well as Costco, first, then get the rest of the the things I need at local health food stores, local farmer's markets, grocery stores, etc. We even have a local restaurant that makes "ice cream" that she can have, with a rice/tapioca base, when she has that urge for a li'l indulgence! You may find the same thing there, but if not, there are sorbet's that are completely natural, even in Vons, that she can have.

The internet has all the recipes and sources that you could ever want or need, Amy!! You just have to do your research! I'll be happy to help you out with more detail, just message me!

By the way, probiotics really help with many problems, especially food allergies. We use Dr. Ohhira's Probiotic 12 Plus and you can find it at The Vitamin Shoppe (you have one on Charleston). On the shelf, it costs like 44.00 for a month supply (60 caps), but if you ask for the internet price, they will give it to you for 32.00 plus tax. It's worth it!!

All the best to you on your journey!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Susie our TJ's and F&E do not carry gluten free breads just wraps and tortillas. They used to have brown rice bread but I have been twice recently and still no luck. I ordered some flour from an Australian company and I am going to give it a try to make my own breads so wish me luck. I have a bread machine but yeast is also one of my allergies so I am going to try rolls or something I do not have to use yeast in. There are always biscuits. I am not allergic to gluten in general, just wheat. I can still have rye, and all of the others just not wheat. I am headed to TJ's today maybe I'll get lucky this time!:bigsmile:

Lioness I have never tried hemp milk. I will have to give it a try. :flowerforyou: