Sugar in Fruits

Options
hey guys! SO now im REALLY annoyed, it seems lyk im goin over the sugar level that is required...even one fruit seems too much because i also eat carrots which have sugar, which also involves potatoes! AHHHH wat may i eat that doesnt have sugar in it....im also annoyed cos im in love wit fruits! Why cant i eat 3 servings per day without worrying!!!! I always hear that u should hav at least 5 or 6 servings of fruits and vegetables per day! ahhhh HELP please :) thanks so much :)
Stunner

Replies

• JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    We had a discussion a few days ago about this. You might check the thread titled Sugar is ruining my diet. It talks about added sugar vs. natural sugar. Hope this helps.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i always go over on my sugar and sodium, and so far its still working for me....:bigsmile:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    hey guys! SO now im REALLY annoyed, it seems lyk im goin over the sugar level that is required...even one fruit seems too much because i also eat carrots which have sugar, which also involves potatoes! AHHHH wat may i eat that doesnt have sugar in it....im also annoyed cos im in love wit fruits! Why cant i eat 3 servings per day without worrying!!!! I always hear that u should hav at least 5 or 6 servings of fruits and vegetables per day! ahhhh HELP please :) thanks so much :)
    Stunner

Veggies servings should always out weigh the fruit servings...........

Yes fruit is healthier than other options you can choose, over time, fruit sugar can prove to be detrimental to your health.

I have been told to treat fruit as a dessert, to have on occasion. Not all the time.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: As far as fruit goes some of the better fruit is berries!:smile:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Stunner

Are you diabetic? Does diabetes run in your family?

:flowerforyou:
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I agree, berries are the best. Try to avoid things like pineapple, watermelon and oranges. They have the most juice, which is where most of the sugar is. That's why infomercials for juicers always irritate me! I just want to shout at the screen: "you are giving people wrong information!" The actual fruit (not the juice) is where the bulk of nutrients lie (ie. FIBER).
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Fruit sugar is not the same as refined white sugar. There are also sugars in milk and vegetables as you noted. If it's naturally occuring sugar in whole foods, my vote is don't worry about it. I don't even track my sugar... I just eat whole foods.
  • VeganGal
    VeganGal Posts: 26
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic and cannot eat refined sugar (glucose). Sugars in fruits occur in a different form though (fructose) which breaks down differently, and the fiber in the fruit allows it to process through the body more slowly so blood sugar spikes do not occur. So, it is different that eating a cookie or cupcake. However, for me, and I think it's good advice even for people that aren't hypoglycemic, too much sugar in any form will still cause blood sugar spikes which lead to cravings. I would focus more on the source of your sugars than the amount, but still limit fruits. Veggies are a better choice.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I have been saying this all along. No one believes me though, because it is "natural sugar"..........

It still needs to be limited. Just saying.