Weekend Update - 13 inches and 10 lbs gone

Options
maurierose
maurierose Posts: 574 Member
DISCLAIMER - the 13 inches gone were of HAIR.... I donated again to Locks of Love (I am now up to 6ft 4 inches donated since I started many years ago... there are a couple of little kids running around somewhere with brand new thick brown hair that they always wanted!). My hair is now short, and I like it. I think I tend to go with longer hair as camouflage sometimes and hide behind it - I have a round face, and I sometimes mistakenly think longer hair makes it look a little less "round". :laugh:

Now, the 10 lbs, that was ACTUAL body weight. LOL :bigsmile: I hit my first goal this weekend - I have a lot more to go, but it sure was great to put on my first pair of pants I haven't worn in over 3 years. With the help of my hubby, my friends here, and MFP in general, I know I will get there.

:smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    First of all thank you for donating your hair to locks of love that is awesome you do that! Second congrats on 10 pounds!
  • cellorocker
    Options
    First of all thank you for donating your hair to locks of love that is awesome you do that! Second congrats on 10 pounds!

Congrats on the 10 pounds!
    And donating hair is so awesome.
    I've donated 30 inches so far.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Awesome on both!
  • collinfd
    Options
    Im the same way.. Thats why i "still" haven't cut my hair short..:grumble:
  • maurierose
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :smile:

Cellorocker - that's great! What got you started on donating?

collinfd - do you think you might feel differently about it if you had a reason to cut it? That's what I try to focus on... another nice thing is that many salons will give you a free LOL cut, and make your hair any style you want, all while spoiling you and taking care of sending your hair in, too. It's pretty much a treat for me - as a SAHM mom of 3, sitting in a salon chair being primped and spoiled is one of the few times I get pampered lol :bigsmile:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Grats on the 10 lb loss! And donating to locks of love is fun, I've donated a few times. I actually want to again, my hair should be long enough again... I just don't know how I want it cut yet! :laugh:

Maurierose - which salon do you go to? The ones I've been to don't even donate it for you... you have to request to have it chopped in a ponytail and mail it in yourself. I'm okay with that, but I would love a free haircut! haha
  • cellorocker
    Options

Cellorocker - that's great! What got you started on donating?

I was on the Relay for Life track with my cousin, when I met a girl who was in remission. She was a year older than me at the time (I was... 12, I think) and she said she got her wig from hair donated from LOL.
    I didn't know what it was, and when she explained what it was to me, I was like "That's awesome!"
    And at that time, my hair was down to my back, and the Relay had set up a makeshift salon just for LOL. So that day, I just cut off 12 inches and gave it to them.
    Like you said, free haircut, and they styled it too.
    My mom went crazy when I came, though. =D She loved my long hair.
  • maurierose
    Options
    Lizagna - there are a couple of salons that will do it, some of the ones near us are Fantastic Sam's, Great Clips for Hair, and some of the private non-chain salons. Many of them have a locks-of-love sticker on their door or window. Make sure you call ahead and ask how it works though, because I had one place say they charged MORE for a LOL cut because they had more work.... some "spirit" of giving, hmmph! Other places only have the cuts one day a week, or with one hairstylist.... LOL I always tip my hairdresser very well because she spoils me so much when I go in for my cuts, and I appreciate their participation in my donation. It works out in the end for all involved with the "free" cut. :smile: You used to be able to look up a list of participating salons up on the Locks of Love site, but I think they took that down. You might be able to google "Locks of Love Salon" and get something near you if you don't have those two places?

Cellorocker - what a great inspiration!!!! Is your mom a little more used to it now? My daughter donates too, and I cried the first time... not because of the loss of her long blonde hair, but because she was doing something so kind and generous at the age of 8 that it moved my soppy mama-heart. :heart:
  • ThePoptart
    Options
    Congratulations on the 10lbs!! That is a huge accomplishment and I'm sure it wasn't an easy one to do. And I think it's awesome you donate for locks of love because I know you just made someone's day (or more than one!)
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Great Clips here must not deal with LOL since last time I donated, I had to request it and mail it in myself. The stylist told me they don't deal with the donations themselves anymore.. or maybe that was just that location.

I'll try fantastic sam's this time and I'll call around and see if I can get a deal. Thanks for the info!

Now to figure out how I want my hair done :grumble: :laugh:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER - the 13 inches gone were of HAIR.... I donated again to Locks of Love (I am now up to 6ft 4 inches donated since I started many years ago... there are a couple of little kids running around somewhere with brand new thick brown hair that they always wanted!). My hair is now short, and I like it. I think I tend to go with longer hair as camouflage sometimes and hide behind it - I have a round face, and I sometimes mistakenly think longer hair makes it look a little less "round". :laugh:

Now, the 10 lbs, that was ACTUAL body weight. LOL :bigsmile: I hit my first goal this weekend - I have a lot more to go, but it sure was great to put on my first pair of pants I haven't worn in over 3 years. With the help of my hubby, my friends here, and MFP in general, I know I will get there.

:smile: :flowerforyou:
    Congrats on losing 10 pounds and on donating your hair. LOL is a great organization.
  • cellorocker
    Options
    Cellorocker - what a great inspiration!!!! Is your mom a little more used to it now? My daughter donates too, and I cried the first time... not because of the loss of her long blonde hair, but because she was doing something so kind and generous at the age of 8 that it moved my soppy mama-heart. heart

LOL, my mom's used to it now.
    I jumped the gun last year. My mom wanted to wait until 10 inches off my hair would mean it would still be at my shoulders, but I went and had it done early. I donated it myself this time, and the lady cutting my hair really messed up. she ended up cutting my hair superrr short, and my mom flipped out again.
    It's grown out to about 4 inches past my shoulder this year.
    I think I'm going to wait until senior year, and then either do one long ponytail, or two shorter ones.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!