~Drama Llama Mamas!~ +Blood Type Diet+

barbarella
barbarella Posts: 609 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Whoa Nelly .... that thread about the Lioness made my little head spin! :laugh: :noway:

Perhaps we can start over with one called:

"Different Strokes for Different Folks" :flowerforyou: :love:

Here's my two cents worth, if ya don't mind:

My impression of the Atkins Diet (in it's hey day), was it gave people permission to gorge on fatty meats & dairy products. They may have lost weight but also developed gout, other diseases and gained the weight back.

This diet works for Ms. Lioness, so I salute her! She is also approaching it from the correct perspective in using organic and healthy versions of the recommended foods. And perhaps the diet has been revised over the years.
I don't know .......

What works best for me is based on "The Blood Type Diet". http://www.dadamo.com/

Based on your blood type, certain foods & exercise are appropriate for optimal health. I'm a Type O ... which means meat, veggies, fruit & avoiding wheat, dairy, corn & nightshades. I never knew that an intense workout was also my style!? Now I LOVES me that turbo kick boxing class!

The point I'd like to make is we must keep educating ourselves, making the best choices for our particular circumstances & always strive to do better. My man & I hope to someday buy property & grow much of our own food. But for now, it's mostly store bought organic produce for the convenience factor.

We all fall out on occasion .... I'm doing my best to not fall out so often & so hard.
Someone wrote today: "Make a U Turn!" That's perfect! :laugh: :love: :laugh:

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Whoa Nelly .... that thread about the Lioness made my little head spin! :laugh: :noway:

Perhaps we can start over with one called:

"Different Strokes for Different Folks" :flowerforyou: :love:

Here's my two cents worth, if ya don't mind:

My impression of the Atkins Diet (in it's hey day), was it gave people permission to gorge on fatty meats & dairy products. They may have lost weight but also developed gout, other diseases and gained the weight back.

This diet works for Ms. Lioness, so I salute her! She is also approaching it from the correct perspective in using organic and healthy versions of the recommended foods. And perhaps the diet has been revised over the years.
    I don't know .......

What works best for me is based on "The Blood Type Diet". http://www.dadamo.com/

Based on your blood type, certain foods & exercise are appropriate for optimal health. I'm a Type O ... which means meat, veggies, fruit & avoiding wheat, dairy, corn & nightshades. I never knew that an intense workout was also my style!? Now I LOVES me that turbo kick boxing class!

The point I'd like to make is we must keep educating ourselves, making the best choices for our particular circumstances & always strive to do better. My man & I hope to someday buy property & grow much of our own food. But for now, it's mostly store bought organic produce for the convenience factor.

We all fall out on occasion .... I'm doing my best to not fall out so often & so hard.
    Someone wrote today: "Make a U Turn!" That's perfect! :laugh: :love: :laugh:

The Atkins Diet has always focused on eating whole foods with starting out with 20 grams of carbs in the form of veggies for the first 2 weeks and then moving up the "carb ladder" to add in foods in a specific order to weed out food allergies.

The media has always given mis-guided information and that is why I get bashed on this site so bad, because everyone wants to believe what the media says and not pick up the actual book.

Here is the carb ladder as you move up in the carb world, so to speak.............

This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:
    1. More salad and other vegetables
    2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
    3. Nuts and Seeds
    4. Berries, then melons
    5. Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
    6. Legumes
    7. Other Fruits
    8. Starchy vegetables
    9. Whole grains

No one can tell me that this is an unbalanced, non-nutritious way of eating. Yes, I enjoy fats and I will be adding in more fat as soon as I get my Primal Blue Print book that i ordered today.

I eat uncured bacon with eggs fried in coconut oil almost every morning for breakfast. When I feel like spending time, I will make my own sage breakfast sausage.................

A lot of people on this site that are having problems with losing weight, stomach issues, PCOS, etc would greatly benefit from eating this same way.
  • barbarella
    Thank you for the clarification......... :flowerforyou:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Hello. I read that thread and I actually have a question... What's wrong with sugar (organic)? This is simply a question in a non-accusatory tone. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners....:smile:

exercise.png
  • I do not follow the atkins diet, as it is simply not for me, however this is something I remember reading a decade ago in his book that stuck with me......

(and I paraphrase)

On the diet, you eat a seemingly *unbalanced* diet in response to a *imbalance* going on with your body (he used a diagram of two triangles coming together to form a *balanced* square again). Once the body is *balanced* again (i.e. you reach your goal weight, or a healthy weight) you resume a more traditional diet, with some complex carbs, though never again with refined carbs.

:flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I pray that everyone finds the 'right' way for their own body. :-) Because we're all different. What works for one may or may not work for someone else.

I just want everyone to find the way that works for them.

*Pollyanna smile*
  • Sugar (any sugar) is a simple carbohydrate like, white flour, and white rice. The body absorbs simple carbs quickly, causing blood sugar to spike and provoking an insulin response that speeds the conversion of calories to fat. This is also why you are hungry so quickly after eating a snickers bar verse a piece of chicken or even a bowl of Broccoli. Simple carbohydrates burn the fastest (good for athletes that need quick energy). Proteins & Fats burn the slowest. (fat burns last)

How this pertains to Adkins? Adkins denounces sugar. No sugar at all.

Here is why. The point is to eat more protein and fats to make the dieter feel full longer and fewer carbohydrates. However, there is a biological explanation for why it works.

A chemical reaction occurs when a person eats more protein compared to carbohydrates. You body the body needs carbohydrates (that is what gives you energy) so when the individual no longer is taking in carbos the body goes to look for them and finds them in stored fat. The body will burn the stored fat, faster and faster. Eventually this results in ketosis. Ketosis occurs once the body tries to burn more excess fat than it produces. The residue of this chemical reaction is ketones (or broken down fats).These chemicals will then enter the blood stream, which will increase the acidity of the body. This is why people following the Adkins plan pee on strips to determine the acidity of their urine – i.e., the passing of fat. It actually converts fat to acetone, and that is also why many high protein low/no carb dieters have bad breathing they are breathing out the acetone.

It is important that Adkins followers do not cheat (indulge in carbos) because this would break the ketosis cycle.

It is actually very interesting how our body responds to this diet – I always blew it because I could not completely stay away from the carbohydrates.

I agree you gotta do what's best for you
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    I absolutely don't follow Atkins. I couldn't do 40 mile bike rides on no or low carb. I was just wondering why Lioness said on another thread that sugar was bad... I thought she was talking "clean" rather than the Atkins plan.

exercise.png
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    meat, veggies, fruit & avoiding wheat, dairy, corn & nightshades...

Sounds like paleo to me.
  • barbarella
    "Paleo"???

Translation please...... :embarassed:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    http://www.paleodiet.com/

Your diet has a number of similarities to eating "paleo" - no or low grains, no nightshades, no dairy. Meats, veggies, seeds, nuts, eggs, and fruit are all emphasized.
  • barbarella
    Oh yes.... I've heard of it...... Thank you! :flowerforyou:

The Paleolithic Diet - What the Hunter/Gatherers Ate

Biologically our bodies are still in that Hunter/Gatherer mode.
    Our modern "culture" has created a sedentary & overweight society.

More on this in the book "Younger Next Year" http://youngernextyear.com/

Simply explains the science behind exercise and why we must do it.
  • July24Lioness
    I pray that everyone finds the 'right' way for their own body. :-) Because we're all different. What works for one may or may not work for someone else.

*Pollyanna smile*

Well, my whole point about posting so much about Atkins is to straighten out the Misgivings and Misinformation so that people can make an informed decision regarding an eating plan that may work for them.

With the media behind the government so much in the way of pushing low-fat and 100 calorie packs, I see it as the government, the food companies, the doctors and pharmaceutical companies and everyone working together to keep people unhealthy so they get wealthier and wealthier, while the general population gets sicker and sicker.........

That is just my opinion and the way I see it.

I am actually going to stray away from Atkins and go even stricter (who would think there is anything more strict than Atkins, LOL) and I ordered a book called the Primal Blue Print.

I am going to try this out and see if my bloodwork stays in check as it is now or if it gets even better. I am trying to stay out of the system with the Doctors and big pharma and live medication free with controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise. So far, so good for me.
  • July24Lioness
    I absolutely don't follow Atkins. I couldn't do 40 mile bike rides on no or low carb. I was just wondering why Lioness said on another thread that sugar was bad... I thought she was talking "clean" rather than the Atkins plan.

exercise.png

If you follow Atkins as Dr. Atkisn wrote the book, you are eating very clean. Organic fruits, veggies, raw nuts, seeds, grass fed beef, free range chicken and eggs, etc...........

What is not clean about that? The down fall of why the media says that Atkins don't work is because people started straying from the way the book was written and go to the products to substitute for the stuff they were already eating, instead of making a lifestyle change to a more natural diet.

That just shows how misinformed the media has made the general population.
  • July24Lioness
    Sugar (any sugar) is a simple carbohydrate like, white flour, and white rice. The body absorbs simple carbs quickly, causing blood sugar to spike and provoking an insulin response that speeds the conversion of calories to fat. This is also why you are hungry so quickly after eating a snickers bar verse a piece of chicken or even a bowl of Broccoli. Simple carbohydrates burn the fastest (good for athletes that need quick energy). Proteins & Fats burn the slowest. (fat burns last)

How this pertains to Adkins? Adkins denounces sugar. No sugar at all.

Here is why. The point is to eat more protein and fats to make the dieter feel full longer and fewer carbohydrates. However, there is a biological explanation for why it works.

A chemical reaction occurs when a person eats more protein compared to carbohydrates. You body the body needs carbohydrates (that is what gives you energy) so when the individual no longer is taking in carbos the body goes to look for them and finds them in stored fat. The body will burn the stored fat, faster and faster. Eventually this results in ketosis. Ketosis occurs once the body tries to burn more excess fat than it produces. The residue of this chemical reaction is ketones (or broken down fats).These chemicals will then enter the blood stream, which will increase the acidity of the body. This is why people following the Adkins plan pee on strips to determine the acidity of their urine – i.e., the passing of fat. It actually converts fat to acetone, and that is also why many high protein low/no carb dieters have bad breathing they are breathing out the acetone.

It is important that Adkins followers do not cheat (indulge in carbos) because this would break the ketosis cycle.

It is actually very interesting how our body responds to this diet – I always blew it because I could not completely stay away from the carbohydrates.

I agree you gotta do what's best for you

That is actually incorrect.

Dr. Atkins does not say no sugar at all. There are natural sugars in the veggies, fruits, nuts, etc and as you move up the carb ladder you add in more natural stuff, which contains natural sugars, so you are only getting sugar from NATURAL sources.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member

*Pollyanna smile*

Well, my whole point about posting so much about Atkins is to straighten out the Misgivings and Misinformation so that people can make an informed decision regarding an eating plan that may work for them.

With the media behind the government so much in the way of pushing low-fat and 100 calorie packs, I see it as the government, the food companies, the doctors and pharmaceutical companies and everyone working together to keep people unhealthy so they get wealthier and wealthier, while the general population gets sicker and sicker.........

That is just my opinion and the way I see it.

I am actually going to stray away from Atkins and go even stricter (who would think there is anything more strict than Atkins, LOL) and I ordered a book called the Primal Blue Print.

I am going to try this out and see if my bloodwork stays in check as it is now or if it gets even better. I m trying to stay out of the system with the Doctors and big pharma and live medication free with controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise. So far, so good for me.

I want to say that I think you've done a good job of informing us on the correct way that Atkins should be done. I would now suggest it to someone who could benefit from it. With that I will continue to tell people not to use it if they are looking to drop 20lbs quick. Especially if they tell me that's what they used before and it worked. Then they went back to "normal" eating and their weight came back. Now I know enough to know that they are not using the Atkins program correctly and have some information that I can use when talking with them.

I am glad that you are controlling your diabetes through your diet and exercise. I see to many people not wanting to take responsiblity because it's easier to take a pill/shot. And that is with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and many other things that we can at least try to change before we go the med route.
    And yes, I know that sometimes meds are needed. I'm just saying that I know people who do not even try and live a healthier lifestyle.
  • That is actually incorrect.

Dr. Atkins does not say no sugar at all. There are natural sugars in the veggies, fruits, nuts, etc and as you move up the carb ladder you add in more natural stuff, which contains natural sugars, so you are only getting sugar from NATURAL sources.
    [/quote]
    You are right - I apologize I was thinking only of processed sugar as in white, raw, brown. I stand corrected.
This discussion has been closed.