'Personal best' question

Options
Just a random question that really doesn't matter considering a personal best is a personal best but...when you say your personal best for a certain distance is XX:XX, are you only including race times?

I ask because I've only run one 5k and although I beat my goal, I was pretty upset because I got trapped behind the walkers and several slower runners. I used a lot of energy essentially running sideways to get around those people. I feel like my time would have been much better if I was running on my own. But is that part of the glory of having a good time for yourself - that you beat all the traffic?

Do any of you go out and run on your own as if you were racing and time yourself? I don't particularly like races after that first experience but I don't want to feel like a cheater when I tell people about a personal best that really came from a solo run. :ohwell:

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For the reasons you've given, I don't see the problem with a PB being one you did alone. Ultimately, you did your PB whether you were in a group or on your own, wearing flipflops or £100 trainers!

Perhaps you need two PBs - one in a formal race and one alone. I guess it's only when you make claims that you've beaten the world record, it has to be in front of witnesses!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I only count my PRs that are done on official courses with official time keeping. I figure anything else is just an awesome workout. Part of the challenge of getting a new PR is having to adapt to race circumstances. No one wins the marathon by running the course on their own.

That said, they are your records, your choice. though, I think the vast majority of runners think "I got a new 5K PR!" assume you ran a race.
  • ATLMel
    Options
    ETA: Next time, line up closer to the front. There are slow runners/walkers in every race. Adjust for where you feel you need to be.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I only count my PRs that are done on official courses with official time keeping. I figure anything else is just an awesome workout. Part of the challenge of getting a new PR is having to adapt to race circumstances. No one wins the marathon by running the course on their own.

That said, they are your records, your choice. though, I think the vast majority of runners think "I got a new 5K PR!" assume you ran a race.

I concur.

PR's that are reported are only from official race events. There is no reason to run PR fast in any workout. You don't need to run race distance at race pace to be race ready. As a matter of fact, it can be counterproductive to do so.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    i only count races and I update the distance to what was certified, etc. and what they have me listed as for my final chip time.
  • ATLMel
    Options

I concur.

PR's that are reported are only from official race events. There is no reason to run PR fast in any workout. You don't need to run race distance at race pace to be race ready. As a matter of fact, it can be counterproductive to do so.

Another good reason. At the end of my best 5K I was really close to throwing up all over my poor boyfriend and had to spend a significant amount of time walking verrrry slowly until the world stopped spinning. I never run to this point in training. My training supports race efforts where you have a day that is all about you, your goal, and all the hard work you put in. On those days, I pin it and run with all I've got.

You've only run one race. Give it another go. Everyone has crappy races.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Same here, unless it's timed it's a great training run.
    I ask because I've only run one 5k and although I beat my goal, I was pretty upset because I got trapped behind the walkers and several slower runners.

Welcome to the world of running! Most of the bigger events will use a corral system (usually colour coded) and based on your estimated finishing time you line up in the appropriate corral. Even then I've seen walker with strollers near the front of 5K and 10K events - very poor etiquette - and you spend a fair bit of time and energy just getting around them. It's just part of the game.

Now that you have one under your belt you'll have a better idea of where to position yourself for the start.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I concur.

Yes, all of that. A PR is on an official race course.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The way things were explained over at runners world was
    PB= your best time whether it was in a race or a solo time trial
    PR= you best time in an actual race
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    The way things were explained over at runners world was
    PB= your best time whether it was in a race or a solo time trial
    PR= you best time in an actual race

I disagree. PR and PB are interchangeable.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad that your first race experience left such a bad taste in your mouth. I encourage you to find another one and give it another go! Try for a community one with less participants, maybe? :happy:

As far as PB goes, I only look at my officially timed races that I've done because I know I push myself a lot harder during a race than I do during my training. However, when you spell it out, it is "personal" best and therefore you can define that to what fits for you personally. I agree with an above poster who suggested having two PB times for yourself...a race one and a training one :bigsmile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I agree with an above poster who suggested having two PB times for yourself...a race one and a training one :bigsmile:

The reason that I don't agree with this is because training paces should be based up previous race performances. Then, the idea is to hit those predetermined training paces in training, not to beat them. When you try to "beat the workout" every time you run, you end up not getting the proper benefit from the workout that you are doing or even worse, getting setback by an injury. That, and 85% of the running that you do in training should be easy, conversational paced running. There is no reason to monitor pace really on theses runs, other than to make sure you are going SLOWLY enough.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with an above poster who suggested having two PB times for yourself...a race one and a training one :bigsmile:

The reason that I don't agree with this is because training paces should be based up previous race performances. Then, the idea is to hit those predetermined training paces in training, not to beat them. When you try to "beat the workout" every time you run, you end up not getting the proper benefit from the workout that you are doing or even worse, getting setback by an injury. That, and 85% of the running that you do in training should be easy, conversational paced running. There is no reason to monitor pace really on theses runs, other than to make sure you are going SLOWLY enough.

I'll clarify what I meant by having a PB in training. I didn't mean to suggest that each and every training needs to be bigger and better than the training before. However, someone running regularly will naturally find that they are increasing in either speed or endurance...or both! :) I find that it helps me to keep in mind, month to month, the little goals I accomplish. For example, back when I first began trying to run (jog haha), I was barely able to jog 30 seconds before I wanted to die. Now I can comfortably jog a full mile without taking a walking break. To me, that is a new PB in training.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I'll clarify what I meant by having a PB in training. I didn't mean to suggest that each and every training needs to be bigger and better than the training before. However, someone running regularly will naturally find that they are increasing in either speed or endurance...or both! :) I find that it helps me to keep in mind, month to month, the little goals I accomplish. For example, back when I first began trying to run (jog haha), I was barely able to jog 30 seconds before I wanted to die. Now I can comfortably jog a full mile without taking a walking break. To me, that is a new PB in training.

Sorry for any confusion.

Okay, yes. That's understood. More of benchmarks along the way that happen just because you have become more fit, as opposed to going out attempt to attain a specific threshold. Yes, these does just happen as you run more. Your body naturally adapts and that run that used to take 30 minutes will one day, when the magic happens, take only 27. Then you will know that fitness is being gained. :)

Keep running.