Kale and Mango Smoothie

Options
Sapporo
Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
This is a bit modified, from the book Clean. I do one serving in my Magic Bullet with the large cup.

2 leaves kale, I chop these up with the flat blade one first.
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
frozen mango chunks, fill it so that you're not going over the line in the cup, prob about 3/4 cups-ish

blend! and enoy.

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I have alot of kale in my garden. I might have to try this. Now if only I could get some fresh mango!
  • kaliena22
    Options
    When I first saw the title of this post I thought blech :P (no offense)
    But I have recently come to read many amazing things about Kale - apparently a new super food, better than brocolli. So I am willing to try it.

From what I remember Kale is very strong and earthy in taste, does the almond milk and mango mask that?
  • Sapporo
    Options
    I thought it sounded gross at first too, but they are a good combination. Kale is rather strong, I might scale back the kale to 1 1/2 leaves when I do it again, the original recipe was 2 leaves for 2 servings.
    It tastes a little grassy and this flavouring goes so well with the mango, I was amazed. I thought I was forcing it down my throat to get some greens and be healthy but I actually found it yummy.

The mango and almond milk must mask the kale, I remember eating kale in a pita with brown mustard a long time ago and it was overkill as the main sandwich component.
  • jessicakstone
    Options
    Sounds interesting...but where can I find vanilla almond milk?
  • Sapporo
    Options
    I get almond milk from the regular grocery stores here, it's mainstream now. Used to have to find it at natural food stores or a vegetarian food store. They're all small businesses here so I don't know any natural foods chainstore names, sorry.
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies for my breakfast at least three times per week.

The rule of thumb is: 3 parts fruit, 1 part veggie greens = you won't taste the greens much at all.

Vanilla yogurt adds protein and even more creamy sweetness.