Side cramps during morning workout--advice please

Options
Hi all,
I usually work out about 20-30 mins straightaway after waking up in the morning. Recently I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30Day Shred, which, if you're not familiar with the program, involves quite a bit of jumping in place, jumping jacks, jogging in place; bouncy activities like that, but for a very short amount of time.

Since I started this program I have been plagued with side cramps on my lower left side whenever I do the aerobic portion of the workout. Normally to get over a side cramp I just bend over at the waist for several seconds and it will subside, but because this video is so short, I really hate to lose 5 or 10 seconds every time I get a cramp, which is every aerobic portion.

Are there any other cures for side cramps that can help me but so I don't have to actually stop moving? I had this problem when I used to jog too--something about certain activities just triggers these cramps in me--and it's actually the main reason I gave up jogging.

I don't typically eat before my workout, but I've tried eating a little something like bread, not eating, drinking water, drinking a little milk, not drinking anything at all: the cramps are the same no matter what I eat/drink or don't eat/drink before.

I don't seem to have this problem when I work out in the evening, so could it be a warm up problem? Though honestly, I think I warm up and stretch pretty well before I begin and with this video I much prefer to do it in the morning.

So from those more experienced exercisers out there: any advice? What can I do about these cramps that won't interrupt my workout?

Replies

• saretta71
    Options
    Your body will adjust after a few weeks. I used to get them every time I began running. After a while they dissappeared altogether.
  • jvanveel
    Options
    I've always been told that when I get a cramp there, its because i'm not drinking enough water. Good luck!
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Are u taking any supplements? Green tea is very common to have this effect. Certain Vitamins typically can result in this. Cramps are a indication of too much, and too little water. Milk is not a good idea before exercise!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is a consensus over the cause of this type of cramp. In my experience, the most frequent precipitating factor (as opposed to the actual physical mechanism) is a mismatch between your level of conditioning and the intensity of the activity you are attempting.

Best thing to do is to start off more slowly. That is more difficult is this type of workout because of it's interval nature and Michaels' philopophy, but try it anyhow. Try to modify some of the movements to make them lower intensity or substitute lower-intensity movements altogether. Wait until the second half of the workout to try some of the more intense movements. As someone else stated, they will most likely subside on their own as your fitness level improves.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Try to breathe evenly, that helps me.
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    Try to breathe evenly, that helps me.

x2
    :happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Sidestitches, stomach cramps or side cramps can be cause by a number of things.

THE BEST WAY TO RELIEVE A SIDE STITCH IS TO DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR A FEW MINUTES.

1. DIET:
    eating or drinking too soon or too much before/during exercise will cause the stomach muscles to cramp. Try adjusting your night time meal or take small sips of water until after your workout.

2. MUSCLE WEAKNESS:
    When starting an exercise program you may have cramps in various locations of the body. A sidestitch or muscle cramp anywhere is your body telling you to slow it down because you are not quite strong enough to take on the challenge you are attempting. It doesn't mean stop, just modify the activity.

3. MEDICAL CONDITION
    a sideache and signal appendicitis, kidney infection, even a heart problem. Not to alarm but if you continually experience the sidestitch regarless of exercise or diet modification it is probably best to get a check up with your doctor to address the issue...better safe than sorry.

4. BREATHING
    changing your breathing pattern is often the best cure for a side stitch. Try belly breathing (using your stomach muscles instead of your lungs) When belly breathing your abdominal area will inflate and deflate rather than your upper chest. A good way to learn this is to lie on the floor and place a book on your belly and breath so only the book moves up and down.

5. CHANGE OF PACE
    slow down or speed up. of course slowing down will work better since one of the reasons you may have the sidestitch is because you are pushing too hard and your body is trying to tell you to ease up, however, a change in rhythm may help relieve the problem.

6 MASSAGE
    while you continue to exercise massage the area. Pinching may help as well. You can swing your arms forward and backward in a circular pattern.

If none of these help then you will need to take a break, pause your DVD and allow the stitch to go away, then you can resume. If it happens again pause again. :flowerforyou:
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ah, thanks for all the excellent advice. :happy: Probably a lot of these things are spot on.

Saretta, I'm not in terribly good shape, so maybe the 30 Day Shred is a bit intense at this point. I have noticed that the cramps are not as bad as when I first began, so maybe my body's adjusting? With hope. How long did you have to keep jogging until yours subsided? I would like to start jogging to tone my lower body as nothing else seems to be working, but I'm hesitant because of the cramps.

SamiRose: I drink a lot of green tea! I live in China and it's practically a staple of my diet. It's so good for you, but I had no idea it could be a cause of these cramps. I don't drink it before a workout but I usually have 2-3 cups during the day. Do you think what I'm drinking during the day could affect my morning workout?

So general consensus is: more water (I'm definitely not drinking too much water before the workout as I usually only have a sip or two) and focus on my breathing until my fitness levels adjusts to the workout I'm doing. I can certainly do those things.

Thanks for your comments. Will put them into effect tomorrow! Actually, the cramps didn't seem that bad this morning, as I'd read some other posts and thought it just might be my breathing, so I tried very hard to focus on breathing deeply. It seemed to help!