Lean Body Mass Question

Options
Hey everyone. I have a question regarding Lean Body Mass and wondering if anyone could help

I recently for the first time calculated my body fat % after losing around 24lbs. It calculated that I have 152lbs of Lean Body Mass. I'm 5'7".

Will this change? Is that the lowest I could weigh (plus adequate fat)? I calculated the percentage using an online calculator which takes in height weight and wrist and forearm measurements. I understand this is a very rough figure. I don't have a set end goal in mind, just to keep going until I reach a healthy weight and then take it from there. I know weight is not the be all and end all.

Any information on lean body mass and ideal amounts would be appreciated

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! As we lose weight, we lose some lean body mass. The goal for most is to limit the amount of lean mass lost. By eating adequate protein and doing intense strength training, we try to spare lean mass lost and shed more fat.

If you know your body fat now, try this http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/ calculator to find your goal body weight based on your desired body fat percentage.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You didn't say your fat %.

The lean body mass can go up or down if you build or lose muscle.

152 lbs lean body mass at 18% body fat (low for a woman) would be a total weight of 211 lbs - are you sure ?

I have less lean body mass than that, I'm 5'-10"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    You lose some lean body mass along with fat. It's inevitable. Just don't try to lose too much lean muscle or your metabolism will slow faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I get on average 80g protein a day but some days as much as 120g. Apparently my BF% is 27.6

I think the numbers mst be off, yarwell, I thought it seemed high too. I don't do any strength training.

Can anyone recommend a more accurate calculation?
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is a great non scale variable to help guide you where you want to be. If the subject is interesting for you to know about, buy an Omron Body Fat Monitor, it's about $30. Then check it no more than once a week at the same time of the day. The online calculators are not terribly accurate from what I have seen. And even if the inexpensive fat measuring device is not 100% accurate, it can give you results of your efforts over time.
    I didn't have one from day 1 in my weight loss and fitness journey, but over the course of about 5 months, went from 22% to 18% as I have been losing weight and strength training. At my current weight of 175, I have then 143 pounds of lean body mass. As another poster noted, there does appear to be something wrong with the calculation you currently have. Good luck.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would buy a scale that measures all these things for you. I have the Tanita Ironman Inner Scan Body Composition Monitor. Besides your weight, it also measures % body fat, % water weight, muscle weight (or lean body mass), RMR and bone mass. It doesn't do BMI but I can do that one at my gym. With this scale, I can calculate how many pounds of fat I am losing and how much muscle mass I am gaining. I love this scale!!! Highly recommended.
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    Options
    Thanks. I will probably buy a specific scale when I have money. In the mean time I'll just not bother with bf% seeing as I can't get a proper reading!
  • yarwell
    Options
    for your height a BMI of 22 is about 140 lbs. Let's assume the 140lb version of you is 20% fat that's 28 lbs of fat and 112 lbs of fat free mass (lean & water).

You didn't say your weight, but if it's 27.6% fat and 152lbs lean then it must be about 210 lbs. In which case I would have thought something like 120 - 130 lbs of fat free mass and 80 - 90 lbs of fat would be more likely - 38 to 43% fat.

How was it measured ?
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    Options
    Yeah that correct. I used an online calculator which took height weight wrist and forearm size. I have just done a few more which say either 27 or 38. So I am guessing it's the latter
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You didn't say your fat %.

The lean body mass can go up or down if you build or lose muscle.

152 lbs lean body mass at 18% body fat (low for a woman) would be a total weight of 211 lbs - are you sure ?

I have less lean body mass than that, I'm 5'-10"

Umm your math made my head hurt :-P

152/x = 82/100

skip a few steps and she'd weigh 185 at 18%
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had a body composition done recently at this MaxMuscle place. I am 5'9", 162. 8.7% BF. fat weight 14lbs. essential fat 9 lbs. reserve fat 5 lbs. no excess fat. lean weight was 148. bmi 24%
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita scale that provides a body fat percentage estimate. I also have a hand-me down Omron hand-held device, which provides a higher estimate. There are various calculators online as well. The one for the "Military" formula has provided the highest reading for me.

I use them as a baseline. I rely on the Tanita, although sometimes I check the others, which I assume are more accurate. If I'm either so consistently low on the Tanita then I'll switch to the Military calculator.

I would get a scale and work towards making the bf % go down.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can utilize the Navy Circumference Method.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

All you need is a tape measure to measure waist (around the navel), neck, and thighs (for women). Enter the measurements along with your weight and it will calculate your bodyfat.
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    Options
    Ok I have used the better calculations and got to 126 LBM. I have a much better end goal now. Thanks!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had a body composition done recently at this MaxMuscle place. I am 5'9", 162. 8.7% BF. fat weight 14lbs. essential fat 9 lbs. reserve fat 5 lbs. no excess fat. lean weight was 148. bmi 24%

FYI, the BMI is not expressed in percentages. I checked a calculator and yours is 23.9, about 24, as you said. Must be nice to be that lean.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Umm your math made my head hurt :-P
    152/x = 82/100
    skip a few steps and she'd weigh 185 at 18%

152/0.82 = 185 - agreed. Keying error. Well spotted.
  • mariadawnroberts
    Options
    Liam would probably know the answer : )
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    Options
    Liam would probably know the answer : )

Probably!
  • klbmarsh
    klbmarsh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    According to the military body fat calculator, I am 40% fat. (My scale measures weight, fat, and hydration. According to it, I am 43% fat (down from 48%), so it's pretty close.) So if I'm 179.5 pounds and 40% fat, according to that website, I have 71.9 lbs. of fat. What I want to know is how much lean body mass I have? It's not 179.5 - 71.9, because I also have bones, tendons, non-muscular organs, brain, teeth...it's not all lean body mass. The carbohydrate weight-loss "sweet spot" is .7 to 1 gram of carbs per pound of lean body mass (or so I've read). I've (mostly) eliminated grains, legumes, and sugar, so my carbs come from fruits, veggies, and diary. And of course I run, bike, etc. So I am losing weight, but also gaining muscle, so the scale and my pant size is dropping v...e...r...y ... s...l...o...w...l...y...