Questions for those that have completed the C25k program....

Options
I had started the C25k program, and was forced to put it on hold for a while... I am hoping I can get started back here in the next week or two. I was wondering about how this particular program helped with your weight-loss? How much did you lose during the program? Were you doing anything else in addition to the C25k (like weight lifting, or 30DS, etc...)? How many calories were you consuming (the 1200 MFP gives you, or TDEE, etc...)?

This last 1-2 months has killed my weight loss as I have not been able to exercise at all. I am really looking forward to getting back into it, and I am trying to find something that will help me get some results... yesterday. LOL

Thanks!

Replies

• alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm still on week 3... life got in the way.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K, I only did C25K.

As for calories consumed, I entered the calories for the walking bits, and the calories for the running bits (I just totaled them up), and then ate back half my exercise calories.

I started C25K in May 2011, and did my first 5K in November. I added in workout DVDs for strength training and toning in January, so now I run 2-3 days per week, and do DVDs the other days.
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K to work towards running the Warrior Dash this past weekend. It was a blast. I recommend it to everyone.

During the winter months I wasn't able to hold to the C25K that much. I found that I lost way more weight using my elliptical then running outside training for the Warrior Dash. I think that I got in better shape running but if you go strictly by the scale, the elliptical worked better for me.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last week. I completed my first 5K this weekend. I ran 3X/week as reccomended and did Body Pump/Cardio Kickboxing on my off days.

I try to net my BMR everyday. I have lost and gained the same 5lbs for the last 4 months. However, I have lost several inches.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight on the C25K program, but I wasn't tracking my calories at the time. I was able to run a 5K without any walking and my heart and lungs were in great shape though.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had started the C25k program, and was forced to put it on hold for a while... I am hoping I can get started back here in the next week or two. I was wondering about how this particular program helped with your weight-loss? How much did you lose during the program? Were you doing anything else in addition to the C25k (like weight lifting, or 30DS, etc...)? How many calories were you consuming (the 1200 MFP gives you, or TDEE, etc...)?

This last 1-2 months has killed my weight loss as I have not been able to exercise at all. I am really looking forward to getting back into it, and I am trying to find something that will help me get some results... yesterday. LOL

Thanks!

I lost 15 lbs during the program, but I was doing 30 Day Shred on my days off of running. I was looking at C25K as a way to get into running, not as a way to weight loss during the 9 weeks. I knew that by the end running for 30 minute straight would be good for weightloss, but I didn't really count the first 5 or 6 weeks as weightloss, but as getting my cardio level up. The last few weeks with the longer runs would help alot for weightloss.
    I was consuming MFP for 1 lb loss a week and recording the walking and running intervals separately and the 30 Day Shred on alternate days. I was also nursing, so I got a few extra calories burned for that- without entering them into the food log most days.

Most of my running weightloss came after I finished the program- I run 3-4 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week. I try to do 1 or 2 days of circuit training a week, too. I have lost 40 and have kept the weight off since September-ish.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I completed the C25K but was combining that with strength training during the week. I have a 5K coming up in the next couple of weeks hopefully and wanted to be able to run one the whole way. So it's not that I did it to lose weight, but to set a goal for myself. I found that I actually like running and am going to keep on running and perhaps next year, run a half marathon. :)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K sometime in February, and weighed around 205 (give or take). I have now completed the program and have just been working on speed. I now weigh 174. So I would say I've lost approx 30 pounds since starting. I kept to the 1200 calories (and often was under) and I also did the eliptical and strength machines on the days I did not run. I think jogging is the best exercise for toning. I suggest it to everyone. However, I hate it with a passion. It's boring. I only do it because of the noticeable results. My legs and thighs have firmed up as well as my lower belly. Good luck!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Okay - so let me ask you guys this then...

I am not training for a race. I dont mind running, but I don't really like it either. Yet. I thought that running would significantly help my weight loss. SO - if I am just trying to drop pounds, I need to hit the eliptical instead....?

Here's my long story short....

I still have about 50-60 pounds before I hit my goal weight. I have a cruise that I am going on Thanksgiving week in November. I am pretty confident I won't hit my goal weight by then, but I want to get as close as possible... I have been stalled on working out because I have been having migraines for the last month, and until my docs figure out what's causing them, no exercise.

I just want to get a game plan going so that once I am cleared, I can hit the ground running, so to speak...
  • lindsay0515
    lindsay0515 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight on the C25K program, but I wasn't tracking my calories at the time. I was able to run a 5K without any walking and my heart and lungs were in great shape though.

ditto!