UGH!!!! guys vs. girls

Options
alyblue
alyblue Posts: 20
my husband and i are both actively losing weight. and ok, i know i have some extenuating circumstances that makes it harder for me to lose weight... I am a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic and i also have to take complete thyroid replacement medication since my wonderful little thyroid decided to die completely a few years ago (kinda what started this whole debauchel). Anyway, we're both about a month in and i've lost 5 lbs. pretty happy. then my husband gets on the scale and he's lost 10! WHHHHYYYYYY. makes me feel so defeated he can lose weight so much faster than i can. im not as active as he is but i work a lot harder about eating healthy than he does. the man can pack down an entire pint of ice cream in under 30 minutes. i look at the ice cream and gain a pound. anyone else have this trouble dieting with your spouse?

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    That shouldn't make you feel defeated. You should be proud of him.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

this! Also, from your one picture that I can see, it doesn't look like you have much to lose... and are you and your husband the same size? That is something to factor into it as well.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    From experience and magazines and whatnot guys just lose weight easier. Because of the whole baby-making aspect (and other factors) females tend to hold onto fat more than guys... Unfortunately, biology is cruel this way.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    men are better than women! lol. Men natrually have more muscle than women, therefore they burn calories more efficiently.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Women look better, men lose weight easier - it's a tradeoff :D
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

this! Also, from your one picture that I can see, it doesn't look like you have much to lose... and are you and your husband the same size? That is something to factor into it as well.

Disagree with those who tell you how you should or shouldn't feel. That's not for anyone to decide. However, just be proud of the progress you are making and be proud of the progress he is making. Nothing in life worth having is free. The grass always looks greener on the other side. Everyone else always seems to have it easier than we do. I know the feeling, I've been there. Just try not to dwell on it and keep moving forward. Congrats on the 5lb loss, and keep up the great work!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Did he have more excess weight on that you did? The first pounds are easier to lose, and come off faster... I wouldn't turn it into a competition at ALL. Like you said, you have medical conditions, you are a woman...so you are completely different as individuals. Focus on YOU and you'll have more success.
  • Becca308
    Becca308 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find the same - when the hubby and I decided to "be healthy" together, he drops weight way faster than I ever can. He also is that person who sits on his *kitten* for 6 months, then gets up and runs a 10km in 50 minutes and complains he's gotten slow!

I don't let it bother me - men and women are so different, and as long as he's not rubbing it in your face and still being supportive of you, it's OK.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Women are biologically inclined to carry, store and gain fat for child bearing. It is a physiological and biological condition that has not changed for thousands of years, so it is more difficult for women to lose 'weight'. So do not feel disheartened if it seems like you're not working hard enough compared to your husband. It will just take more time (:
  • alyblue
    Options
    when we started i weighted about 10lbs more than my husband. im at 5'9 and he's about 5'11. i was at 215 and he was at 205. now he's at 190 and i'm at 209. i am really really proud of him but i guess im frustrated that i can't keep up... i want the same results he's getting! i've also noticed since i've started losing im getting some stretch marks on the insides of my legs. that's pretty defeating feeling as well. you can't really see my weight in my face or shoulders. its all in my stomach and upper thighs. and boobs. holy cow these boobs came out of nowhere!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    This is why my husband and I don't tell each other what the scale says. It can be so aggravating sometimes when your spouse is dropping the weight like crazy and you can't make it move (or it goes the wrong way). I'm all for being supportive, but it's still frustrating!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for guys to lose faster/ more easily, with more calories, 'cos they have higher muscle mass than we do, and hormonal differences aren't kind to us, either. My bf complains about how many calories he has to eat - it's all I can do not to beat him up! *laugh* I go harder, faster, longer in the gym... he burns more. Physiology is cruel. be proud of each other, but mayhap for you it's best not to do head to head that way 'cos it can feel really crummy (I speak from experience!)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Disagree with those who tell you how you should or shouldn't feel. That's not for anyone to decide. However, just be proud of the progress you are making and be proud of the progress he is making. Nothing in life worth having is free. The grass always looks greener on the other side. Everyone else always seems to have it easier than we do. I know the feeling, I've been there. Just try not to dwell on it and keep moving forward. Congrats on the 5lb loss, and keep up the great work!

So are you saying she should FEEL proud of her and her husbands progress? hehe :laugh:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's nice being a guy. We can pee anywhere. We lose weight much easier. We don't have an Uncle TOM. Yep it's good to be a boy.

Try and not worry about it being a competition. You can only take care of you and what you're doing. Try your best and let that be your guide. Cheer him on when he succeeds and encourage him when he struggles. Hopefully he'll do the same for you. And working together you'll both reach your goals.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your accomplishment. BUT yes my husband never works out and eats crap and is skinny...I hate him for it some days!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's just something we have to accept. It took me about a year to lose 47 pounds and my husband started using MFP like 8 months after I did and he is up to almost 40 already.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    My husband has lost 15 lbs and around 6-8 inches. He has access to a gym I do not.

I've lost only 6 lbs so far and also have health issues that factor into my loss or gain.

I'm still proud of every inch or lb that comes off him. Not to mention I have a hard time keeping my hands off. To his great annoyance lol.

It's not a race it's not a diet.. It's a positive lifestyle change that we are doing for ourselves and to be better role models for our children!
  • alyblue
    Options
    I find the same - when the hubby and I decided to "be healthy" together, he drops weight way faster than I ever can. He also is that person who sits on his *kitten* for 6 months, then gets up and runs a 10km in 50 minutes and complains he's gotten slow!

I don't let it bother me - men and women are so different, and as long as he's not rubbing it in your face and still being supportive of you, it's OK.

ok good im glad im not the only one. that makes me feel a little better. my husband is the exact same way. we run a mile and im dying at the end and he's like let's do another! just makes me wanna smack him sometimes lol.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is working on a ranch this summer. He came home 15 pounds lighter after the first two weeks. Of course I was happy for him, but I'l admit im a bit nervous he'll end the summer lighter than me!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am on the upper end of this seesaw.... Much easier for me to lose than my wife. It is just the way our bodies are built. Unfair? Yes. It just means that your 5 pounds means much more... Congrats on the 5 lbs AND his 10 lbs.