cant contol it :/

Options

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem... absolutely. I buy something thinking I will eat one serving or whatever and I end up eating the whole package. It's such a mind game with me...

One day I will overcome my mind, but until then I have to beat it at it's own games :)

This is a very common problem, and it reminds me of the famous "Marshmallow Experiment." (Google it.) Essentially, a series of young kids were put in a room at a table with a large marshmallow on the table. They were told by the researcher that if they left the marshmallow untouched until the researcher returned they would be rewarded with a second marshmallow. They were then left in the room for something like 20 minutes.

Naturally, some kids couldn't resist the marshmallow and ate it right away. Others held out longer. The ones who lasted the period distracted themselves, they played GAMES. They realized that just sitting there thinking about the marshmallow would not help. The experiment is offered as an example of why willpower is limited.

It's counter-intuitive in a culture where we've been told that everything is possible through strength of mind.

Instinctively, you have been doing exactly the right thing.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    One of the things I found to help is literal avoidance. It's not always possible but sometimes it is.

To break down your phrase "Look at one cookie ... end up eating three", you have to ask yourself what would have happened if you hadn't looked at the one cookie in the first place.

Like I said, not always possible but it works for me in several ways: I avoid the kitchen at work because I know people put leftovers in there up for grabs, I drive alternate routes that don't pass fast food places that tempt me, I consciously leave my dollars and quarters at home because I know I'm too chicken to put a $5 or more into a vending machine no matter how much of a craving I have, I've set my work email up to automatically discard anything with the word "treats" in it before it gets to my inbox, I decline parties where I know it will be only junk food.

The way I see it, you are fighting a set of psychological responses that you've built up over years. That's a tough, tough enemy. They are set off by triggers (like looking at a cookie) but the cool thing is, with a bit of thought you can sometimes identify the triggers, then step back *further* than them and avoid them altogether.

This is short term strategy though - "the fight but not the war" type stuff. In the long term it requires a complete reboot of the relationship we have with food. We have to individually figure out the values and emotions we assign to food and how to have a healthier relationship with it. That's a tiny step for some and a lifelong battle for others. I'm still working on it... will be for a long long time I think.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just have one.

A big way to control is to not -buy- the types of red light foods. Or relearn your red light foods and make them a healthier option.

For me, it was sour cream on (anything). I relearned to use plain greek yogurt over the months. I love it, and can't go back honestly.

Still working on my biggest red light however- pasta. So far my only saving grace is that I havn't made it to often, and what I have made, I've made it more 'flavorful' then less noodles n cheese.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    when you deprive yourself, you will be more likely to binge. have that treat if you want it! not saying eat 10 cookies a day, but hell one cookie every other day aint gonna kill ya!

If you're the kind of person who for some reason will not stop at one cookie, it will kill you, or at least your efforts. :smile: For some people, it's better to try to take a break from sugar or restrict access to it.
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    My advice (which has worked well for me) is to take foods like this and divide them into plastic bags by serving and clearly label each one with the calories. I usually do this the day I buy my groceries and after I have eaten dinner so that I'm not still hungry. Then, whenever I'm contemplating eating that cookie or sweet, I have it already broken up by serving and if I decide that the calories are worth it, I'm not tempted to eat more than the serving. It has really helped me break my Cheez-Its addiction. Looking at a bag of cheez-its looks a lot less appealing to my stomach than a whole orange or bag of veggie straws!
  • gabigoz67
    gabigoz67 Posts: 7
    Options
    i totally understand. I try so hard an set goals all the time, but it seems imPOSSIBLE to keep to it!!
    I find it useful to have a small sweet snack with my breakfast. it controls your cravings for the day~
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    In addition, there is a good book - "The end of overeating" by David Kessler, that goes into some detail about the psychological "priming" response that high sugar and high fat foods can have.

Basically, it suggests that having a small amount of such foods (one cookie) does the exact opposite of satisfying the craving - instead, in most peope, it physiologically primes the brain to crave more. I haven't looked into the studies on this in much detail but it definitely has a ring of truth about it in my experience.
  • mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    I try and remind myself that I know what it taste like and how I will feel if I eat it and that works most of the time for me!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :noway: I have terrible problems with binging. Ugg. I just recently realized that the better I eat, as in, healthy, non-processed, etc.. the more I find I don't even want things like cookies and cake. I know its hard. SO hard!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?

I look at the caloric value of whatever is tempting me and think about how much time I have to spend on the elliptical to burn off what I am about to eat.

That usually does it for me.

This. I just recently started this after a friend suggested it to me. Knowing how much extra time I'll have to spend exercising to burn off that one cookie is helping.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I LOVE cookies and had the same problem. Someone suggested I just stuff my face with cookies so I can get sick of them. Sounds horrible but hey it worked! (I didn't eat THAT many to add up to 3500 cal but I ate enough to make me feel sort of disgusted of how much I ate)

Whatever works, I guess. I personally don't like aversion techniques. I once watched a Tony Robbins tape in which he recommended visualizing gross things about one's favorite foods. It might have worked, but I decided I didn't want to create that kind of relationship with food. Food is good. Food is pleasurable. But it has to be eaten in fairly small quantities.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to do it but I had to stop "dieting" and start "allowing" myself to have the damn cookie! Cookies, cakes, bready delicious treats.. brownies.. whatever. I love them.. I used to not be able to even be in the same room with them.. it's not like that anymore.

Here's how I do it: If I want a cookie, I will look up how much a serving of that cookie is worth (Oreos, for example, I think a serving is three cookies or something like that.. maybe five..can't remember.. don't eat them that often).. and I say, "okay.. have the cookie, this is what it's going to cost you."

In a short period of time, I found myself LESS and LESS at the mercy of the craving.. just because I stopped resisting it. And in that short period of time, I found the craving diminished. Now I can have a bag of cookies in my house and they'll go stale before I can get to them all.

I stopped saying "no" and started saying "yes, but here's the consequences."

it works for me. :)
    Stef
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    . I haven't looked into the studies on this in much detail but it definitely has a ring of truth about it in my experience.

In mine, too. Sugar primes a desire for more sugar. Same thing with fat. A very small amount of either is OK, for example, a couple teaspoons of sugar.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way so I just try to not have any of that stuff in the house. In fact, last week I thought I could control myself with a box of low-fat, cinnamon graham crackers. Well.. nope. I ate 2 packs of them over 2 days. :(
    Besides just not having it in the house I chew Orbit bubblemint gum, brush my teeth, go pull weeds, do laundry and drink a big glass of water or sugar-free anything.
    In order to not feel deprived, I get a single serving of a treat once in a while. If I get a single serving, I don't have to worry about a whole package being in the house! Last weekend I had a chocolate Snickers blizzard! I can tell you that I ate that thing as slow as possible and enjoyed EVERY single bite! lol I do this because I know that I need to be able to maintain my weight loss after I reach goal and still have treats. We all want them once in a while! We just have to fit them in the right way.
    Hopefully you get a lot of tips on here! I love how we can learn from others' experiences! Good luck, you can do this!
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a cookie addict too. I try drinking water, brushing my teeth and exercising. If those don't work then I eat the cookie. I tried not having them in the house but then I eat really bad. I'll eat anything and everything to try to get over the cookie craving. Now I make a batch and keep them in the freezer. I'd rather eat a cookie or two than half the pantry.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Just eat the cookie but eat 2 or 3 cookies and log it in, that's what I do. Just exercise to burn off the calories of the cookies you ate. Don't condemn yourself for a cookie!!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My advice (which has worked well for me) is to take foods like this and divide them into plastic bags by serving and clearly label each one with the calories. I usually do this the day I buy my groceries and after I have eaten dinner so that I'm not still hungry. Then, whenever I'm contemplating eating that cookie or sweet, I have it already broken up by serving and if I decide that the calories are worth it, I'm not tempted to eat more than the serving. It has really helped me break my Cheez-Its addiction. Looking at a bag of cheez-its looks a lot less appealing to my stomach than a whole orange or bag of veggie straws!
    I love this idea. I might try this, but write how many miles I'd have to walk/run to earn the calories for the snacks. That should do it. lol
  • kristynkayte
    kristynkayte Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?

I look at the caloric value of whatever is tempting me and think about how much time I have to spend on the elliptical to burn off what I am about to eat.

That usually does it for me.

That always does it for me as well!! Lol
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Lol don't buy cookies...don't even look at a cookie haha :P
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    For now, I put things out of sight and usually they are out of mind.

At the party store last week I bought 30 snack size candies - 15 for a dollar. I did have one night where i ate like 10 of them, and two other nights where i had one each night. But that was a week ago. Most of the time I don't think about it.

Rather than thinking about the delicious things I want, I think about how good I'll feel when I'm fit and sexy again. I think about how eating healthy foods - that is going to make me lose weight, have better health, and feel better about myself. If a "danger food" (one I'm prone to overeat on) comes to mind, I make a point of thinking of something else.

If I can't get it out of my mind. I will very slowly eat one, and savor every possible crumb. But if that doesn't work, I'll go ahead and eat more. For the most part though, I am able to control myself by remembering that my goal is more important than giving in to my every desire.