Exercise NAUSEA, HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess you're right - I've just gotten so used to the nausea that I feel like it is pretty much expected! All it really does is slow down my workout, which is just bloody annoying. It's a very unpleasant feeling to be sick and nauseous on an empty stomach - I really thought, that by not eating before exercising this could be avoided but it clearly isn't working.
    Quite frankly, the only time I ever did plyo on a completely empty stomach, I felt sooooo incredibly sick afterward I don't know how you could ever tolerate doing that more than once ;) Plyo takes lotsa energy to rock!
    THIS makes perfect sense to me. You only have so much energy to devote to each system. So by exercising, more energy is devoted to your cardiovascular and respiratory systems, while diverting away from others like your urinary system. I understand that your body automatically will look for the most efficient nutrient source - stored glycogen then triglycerides. I always figure that by avoiding recent glucose storage and conversion to glycogen, it would have to immediately extract from my fat stores.
    What I am doing DOES work, however the nausea, light headedness and pangs that come along with it are very unpleasant.

I really like the suggestion of protein shakes by the way. I definitely think this would be helpful, post workout! I find building muscle to be quite difficult so this should do the trick.
    NAILED it. It absolutely "works," just like you said, you're not STOPPING your body from burning fat or anything like that... it's just unnecessary and as you can feel, very uncomfortable! A body like yours, in athletic shape maintaining a caloric deficit, is going to burn up your fat stores every night, regarding of when you eat the food in relation to working out. So let's feel good while doing it, eh? ;)
    Haha, WILD deficits. Well to be honest, I had to train myself for a LONG time to be able to eat so little. It doesn't affect me as much anymore. Plus, I am hypoglycemic so if I eat any less than I do it really affects me negatively so I can't drop any lower.

I am really realizing that there are other ways to trim down - if I can continue the workout I am doing, all while eliminating nausea AND eating more, why the hell wouldn't I? You're the best, Hawkian!
    Hell yeah, nail on the head! And thank you *blush*
    It's really just a general fear that eating more will suddenly make me balloon to 220 pounds again, that keeps me continuing the way I do!
    Stick to logging everything, coming to this site for motivation, and your AWESOME burns (seriously, you always impress me) and there is literally no chance of this happening. You have one of the best and most positive attitudes of anyone I've met here.
    Thanks again to everyone. ESPECIALLY you Hawkian, you have been NOTHING but incredibly sweet and helpful throughout my short stay at MFP so far. I will reciprocate anytime!
    Truth be told I'm doing nothing more than returning the favor. Your accomplishments so far are inspiring and your posts are always insightful, so... thanks to you too :)
  • chixdrag2
    chixdrag2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take a look at your breathing - that is a problem that often gets overlooked. You're so focused on the workout you forget to breath properly. I often find that even if i'm focused on my breathing I tend to pay more attention to the exhale than taking deep breaths in as well and then I will feel lightheaded - particularly on intense workouts and working on larger muscles such as legs.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump in case anyone needs help with this, too!
  • VoiceOfTrenton
    VoiceOfTrenton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump-worthy.

And this gives me a chance to express my jealousy at those of you lucky enough to do the P90X: keep it up! :)