40-60 lbs to lose in 1 year-scared!

Hi!

I recently got engaged and want to lose serious weight before our wedding next year. I wish it didn't take a milestone like this for me to get in gear- but apparently it has.

I am 5'4", 24 years old, and currently weigh 175 lbs. Over the past few months, I have noticed that my weight is affecting my happiness more and more. I can't stand what I look like in the mirror, pictures, etc. I can't get around like I used to. Everything seems to just take so much more effort. I have also been a casual smoker since I was 16. I quit this past year, but recently started to pick it up again. This is going to be a massive challenge for me- quitting smoking and dropping the weight. But to be honest, if I didn't quit smoking, I wouldn't be able to work hard enough to lose anything!!!

I've always had a decent diet, on a sliding scale. Not perfect, but decent. My issue is how sedentary I have become. Athletics ended with high school, constant walking ended with college, now I have a desk job and three dogs that I can't get the energy to play with!

To set my goal weight, I picked a point in my life that I was happiest. Sadly, I haven't been that size since early high school. To be honest, when I was that size, I thought I was fat. I've always thought I was fat, even when I weighed 130lbs. Now, I would do anything to be that size!!

At 175, I am the biggest that I have ever been. It only took 8 years to gain these extra 40lbs, and I plan to lose it entirely within a year. Hopefully more!

I'm terrified, but I'm motivated! If anyone has any tips for success- I'd love to hear them.

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Hey! We have very similar goals and stats. I'm 29 but the same height and just a little heavier. I'm nervous too because it seems like SO MUCH to do.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    You can do it!

40-60 lbs in a year is about 1 lb a week, which is quite sustainable, even including the periodic fall off the wagon (pro tip: try not to fall off the wagon).

There was a thread a while back about what we wish we had known as newbies. It makes good reading.

Oh, and congrats on the engagement!
  • cjnitz
    cjnitz Posts: 2 Member
    Just stick to it!!! And, if you have a "bad" day, just start over again the next day!! Good luck to you!! I am currently trying to get back to my happiest weight as well. So far, this has been my motivation...I don't want to end up over my calories for the day....and I want to look better in my clothes :) Good luck!
  • You can do this! We all have our stories about how that weight piled on, but the fact that you are making the choice to take it off...you have already succeeded! 40-60 pounds in one year is definitely doable and you can probably lose more!

I have only been on here since mid-April, I believe and I have lost 15 pounds. I am stuck at a plateau, but hoping to see some more weight move this week. It all has to do with making the committment and having the motivation...you have both! I predict that you will be a beautiful bride! :) Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mdedmonds
    mdedmonds Posts: 8 Member
    The best thing for you to do is set achievable goals and then go from there. If you try and tackle it all at once, you will get discouraged - especially as you hit a plateau. You also need to look at this as a lifestyle change and not as a diet. So, make the changes you need, and keep it simple!

Congratulations on starting this journey while you are young.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Here is a tip for you: take one day at a time, meaningful baby steps is all that you require to be successful -- 40 to 60 lbs is nothing. Movement, movement and movement + pay close attention to what you are eating...

The most important thing is to realize that thru this journey you will have set backs and stumbles - the main thing is to never quit and see each day for what it is: new chance to get things right. Don't dwell on what has happened the day before, celebrate all lil accomplishments and learn from the small failures :)

Best of luck to you...
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    My goal is considerably more than yours, around 130 lb, but I did manage to lose 60 lb in one year. Very do-able!

Around a pound a week is a very healthy goal, and I congratulate you for realizing that a "quick fix" will not help you in the long run. You want to lose fat, not muscle, and do it in a healthy way.

Keep up with your exercise, eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, and eat plenty of protein to keep your muscles healthy. But my biggest tip: don't stress about the scale. You can retain water, have allergies, have that Time of the Month, be stressed at work, not get enough sleep... all of those things will make the scale show a bigger number. Take the long view: only weigh yourself once a week, and only count monthly trends. I can go for a couple of weeks without losing anything, then suddenly the scale shows I'm down 5 or 6 lb, even though I haven't changed anything. So each month I add up my losses and take my *average* weight loss per week. Just trust that your hard work pays off even when the scale doesn't show it, and don't lose faith!

Good luck!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Start with just walking again, maybe do a short workout video at home. You don't have to start off with a major change. Don't weigh yourself too often and even when you do, don't let the scale scare you away. Take measurements of your body and pictures so you can keep track of your progress every couple of weeks.

I'll send you a friend request in case you need anything!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Can I offer a suggestion or two?

Don't set a goal of "I must be X weight by X time." Because...well...what if other things happen and you don't meet that goal?

Maybe instead:

"I will work to lose a pound a week". (That's easy to set up - MFP does it for you.)
    "I will watch my caloric intake."
    "I will exercise more."
    "I will act in a manner that is healthy and considerate of my physical and mental self." This one sounds kind of hippie-dippy, but really - it's about NOT kicking yourself if you have a "bad" day and eat stuff that isn't spectacularly healthy, and it's about recognizing that you are doing your best to take really good care of yourself. When you get to your wedding date and you're healthy and loving yourself, if the numbers aren't quite what you wish they were on the scale, it won't matter.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 486 Member
    Hey! We have very similar goals and stats. I'm 29 but the same height and just a little heavier.

But I am 24.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    There is a show on sunday evening at 9pm with Chris Powell . I get it on channel 5 in Ohio. He takes one person and works with them for a yr. The guy sunday night lost 200 lbs in a yr. You can do it. But you have to be determined. You can't let anyone get in your way. YOU have to want it bad enough to work for it. The show is amazing. Maybe try to watch it and let it motivate you. Gook luck you can do it. I believer in YOU!!!
  • darcie81
    darcie81 Posts: 69 Member
    Hello, Congrats on the engagement!!! ;0) Sounds like you have some fight in you I have faith you can do this in a year!! Good luck on the quitting the smoking habit i feel your pain, i've been a non smoker now for 4 years, i know its hard!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Hi!

I recently got engaged and want to lose serious weight before our wedding next year. I wish it didn't take a milestone like this for me to get in gear- but apparently it has.

I am 5'4", 24 years old, and currently weigh 175 lbs. Over the past few months, I have noticed that my weight is affecting my happiness more and more. I can't stand what I look like in the mirror, pictures, etc. I can't get around like I used to. Everything seems to just take so much more effort. I have also been a casual smoker since I was 16. I quit this past year, but recently started to pick it up again. This is going to be a massive challenge for me- quitting smoking and dropping the weight. But to be honest, if I didn't quit smoking, I wouldn't be able to work hard enough to lose anything!!!

I've always had a decent diet, on a sliding scale. Not perfect, but decent. My issue is how sedentary I have become. Athletics ended with high school, constant walking ended with college, now I have a desk job and three dogs that I can't get the energy to play with!

To set my goal weight, I picked a point in my life that I was happiest. Sadly, I haven't been that size since early high school. To be honest, when I was that size, I thought I was fat. I've always thought I was fat, even when I weighed 130lbs. Now, I would do anything to be that size!!

At 175, I am the biggest that I have ever been. It only took 8 years to gain these extra 40lbs, and I plan to lose it entirely within a year. Hopefully more!

I'm terrified, but I'm motivated! If anyone has any tips for success- I'd love to hear them.

I'd focus a little less on a specific amount, and more on exercise and getting in shape.. You may find that you look fine with 25 pounds lost.. You can do this.. with MFP and really working out, that is totally attainable. Check the success board, that always gets me motivated, and please feel free to add me. :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i am 5'1'', and i started out @ 180..my first year i lost 50 lbs..eat right, and workout, even if it it sucks, and you are in pain, and you will do just fine !! good luck
  • jandashl
    jandashl Posts: 7
    The biggest tip I can give you is to try to not get inside your own head. Take each day as it comes and if you have a "bad" day, which we all have, just start over tomorrow. Don't get down about it, just try again. Also, treat yourself that way you don't feel like you are totally depriving yourself. I am a sweet freak and I have found that the Skinny Cow ice cream, satisfies my sweet tooth but doesn't undo my diet, only 100-150 calories depending on the kind you get, AND it tastes great, not chalky or like cardboard. Good luck, congrats on the engagement and you can TOTALLY do this!!!
  • tbaker1330
    tbaker1330 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, I can only tell you from my expierence that if you follow this program, its a snap. I lost 40 in 3 months. Here to help if I can
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Here are a few tips I have learned from being on this site.

* If you cheat, don't cheat yourself. Be sure to count every last bite of every last thing you eat and drink. I have a cheat day once a week where I eat anything I feel like, but I am sure to still log everything in. Funny thing is after a while you find it easy to maintain even on a cheat day.

* Don't expect the weight to just come right off of you. Unless you are excercising six or seven days a week and sometimes twice a day, the weight loss will not be extreme. You may even find that you may gain a few pounds before you start to lose. Do not become discouraged. It is only your body adapting to the new caloric intake and output.

* Stay committed. Like stated above, you may not see immediate results and give up on yourself. It took me almost two and a half weeks to lose my first 2 pounds. After my body adjusted to the new regime I average about four pounds a week now. Even if you do fall off the wagon (which I am sure more than half the people on this website will admit to) hop right back on. Don't let one slip up ruin all the progress you have made.

* Push yourself. Today you may not be able to run a mile but next month you find a mile to be a breeze. Time to bump it up to three miles or whatever you feel necessary to be a challenge. If you are not pushing yourself, you are not improving yourself.

*DRINK WATER. Stay hydrated. This has several benefits.

I am sure you will get many more tips from everyone on here. Take the ones you like. There is plenty of help to be found.
    Good luck and congratulations on the engagement.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Here are a few tips I have learned from being on this site.

* If you cheat, don't cheat yourself. Be sure to count every last bite of every last thing you eat and drink. I have a cheat day once a week where I eat anything I feel like, but I am sure to still log everything in. Funny thing is after a while you find it easy to maintain even on a cheat day.

* Don't expect the weight to just come right off of you. Unless you are excercising six or seven days a week and sometimes twice a day, the weight loss will not be extreme. You may even find that you may gain a few pounds before you start to lose. Do not become discouraged. It is only your body adapting to the new caloric intake and output.

* Stay committed. Like stated above, you may not see immediate results and give up on yourself. It took me almost two and a half weeks to lose my first 2 pounds. After my body adjusted to the new regime I average about four pounds a week now. Even if you do fall off the wagon (which I am sure more than half the people on this website will admit to) hop right back on. Don't let one slip up ruin all the progress you have made.

* Push yourself. Today you may not be able to run a mile but next month you find a mile to be a breeze. Time to bump it up to three miles or whatever you feel necessary to be a challenge. If you are not pushing yourself, you are not improving yourself.

*DRINK WATER. Stay hydrated. This has several benefits.

I am sure you will get many more tips from everyone on here. Take the ones you like. There is plenty of help to be found.
    Good luck and congratulations on the engagement.
    All of this is perfect advice:)