intermittent fasting

Options
I want to try IF but don't know if it's right for me. I'll give you a little background. I have bulimia and binge eating disorder so I wonder if this will mess with my screwed up already head. And I weigh 303 pounds which is fricken huge. I do very little exercise, one because I have bursitis in my hips so it hurts to walk, and two I really want to drop pounds first before I start exercising so it's not so hard on my body. Do you have to be doing body builder exercising? I want to do the daily 16 hour fast starting at 8 pm and ending at noon. So in that 8 hr window I have to eat, do I eat at my goal that mfp has set for me? I've got it set at losing two pounds per week eating around 1600 calories a day. I eat the majority of my calories at dinner time. Does that matter? What kind of meal should I eat to break my fast. I usually start my day off real slow with a 110 calorie EAS protein drink and work my way up to a big calorie dinner, eating about five times a day. Sometimes the big calorie dinners mess with my head, making me feel like I've binged even though I am under goal. And then I do binge. It has gotten a lot better though. Last year I lost 80 pounds with mfp but ended up gaining back 55. I have now lost another twenty so kinda feel back on track, but I feel I need a different way of eating and dealing with food. Any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I really want to try this. Thank you. Jacki.

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    1) Meal timing doesnt matter. Caloric totals do.

2) IF helps if you have an active social life where you find yourself going out to dinner a lot. IF allows you to sort of 'pool' your calories for bigger meals.

3) Yes, you eat the allowance MFP sets in the feeding window.

4) IF has women set at 14hr fast/10 hr feeding (leangains.com), as it seems to work for us better.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am doing 16/8 IF, 12 to 8 pm, I started last week. So far its been interesting, i've never been big on breakfast so I don't feel like I am missing much in the mornings. I wake up at 6, get to work at 7:30, have some hot tea to start off the day and I do liquids until 12. At 12 i'll have lunch, usually around 600 calories and that lasts me until 5:30 when I get home. In between I try to snack and get more calories in so I can hit my 1500 goal, but since I do a ketogenic diet I am very rarely hungry after lunch. When I get home I cook up a big dinner upwards of 800 calories and maybe snack until 8 if I need the extra calories. So far its worked very well, the main difference I can see is that I am no longer eating and snacking after 8 pm, which was my weakness. My bulk of eating is throughout my busy day when I don't really have the time to think about food. Sometimes my calories are getting too low because of the short periods I leave myself to eat, but on weekends I managed to hit my calorie goal and then some without issue. All in all, I think i'll keep on it and see how it goes!