Dealing with fitness "obsessiveness"?

Options
I really like getting other members feedback out here, so hopefully all you super-fit (and working to be super-fit) MFP members can share your ideas.

So I am in pretty decent shape (now) - I started out in January at 5'8" and about 200 lbs. I was fairly active and athletic to start and I ate pretty decently (just too big of portions, no discipline) and not really on a set exercise routine. So I committed to P90X and to eating smarter and being more disciplined (hence my being on here). So now, I am about 176 lbs and I feel I am in getting close to being in the best shape of my life.

But I noticed now that I am becoming sort of obsessed - and I don't really like it. Like for example, if I miss a workout and my weight fluctuates up a pound or two, I get sort of freaked out by it - or it I eat a few too many calories one day. I don't want to burn out and I don't want to be like a slave to exercise and rigid eating habits, so I am wondering what some of the fit healthy folks out there do to maintain their fitness without being slaves to food and exercise?

We all have hectic lives and sometimes they interfere with exercise and eating the best we can - how do people re-coup, maintain their fitness and positive attitude without becoming obsessive nuts (like I feel lately) or without completely getting off track and bouncing back into bad habits?

Replies

• 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You may be a good candidate for carb cycling. I would research it. This helps break up the monotany and can help you actually achieve better results by confusing your metabolism. Like all things this needs to be done carefully. Your at a stage where, unfortunately, precision is required.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You may be a good candidate for carb cycling. I would research it. This helps break up the monotany and can help you actually achieve better results by confusing your metabolism. Like all things this needs to be done carefully. Your at a stage where, unfortunately, precision is required.

Thanks for the info - I had never heard of Carb Loading. I am open to trying new things, but reading up on it quickly, it just seems to be sort of an "abnormal" way to eat. What I mean is, I consider any sort of extreme diet (like Atkins, Paleo, etc.) to be sort of an unsustainable way to live - obviously when done properly they give extreme results, but I question the health impacts of things like this. Certainly Atkins could be argued to be a loaded gun for raising cholesterol. I just can't picture myself eating mostly protein for 3 or 4 days and then jacking up the carbs for 2 or 3 days. I think I would lose track quickly and screw it up.

I definitely like eating in a "normal" fashion (ie a mix of carbs and proteins). I was just curious to see what people's methods are for maintaining their fitness levels without burning themselves out.

It's a good suggestion and maybe I will read up on it more - many people have certainly appeared to have achieved pretty amazing results carb loading and it certainly seems well know in body building circles.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info - I had never heard of Carb Loading. I am open to trying new things, but reading up on it quickly, it just seems to be sort of an "abnormal" way to eat. What I mean is, I consider any sort of extreme diet (like Atkins, Paleo, etc.) to be sort of an unsustainable way to live - obviously when done properly they give extreme results, but I question the health impacts of things like this. Certainly Atkins could be argued to be a loaded gun for raising cholesterol. I just can't picture myself eating mostly protein for 3 or 4 days and then jacking up the carbs for 2 or 3 days. I think I would lose track quickly and screw it up.

I definitely like eating in a "normal" fashion (ie a mix of carbs and proteins). I was just curious to see what people's methods are for maintaining their fitness levels without burning themselves out.

It's a good suggestion and maybe I will read up on it more - many people have certainly appeared to have achieved pretty amazing results carb loading and it certainly seems well know in body building circles.

I just want to make sure we are not mismatching terms. To me, carb loading is completely different that what I'm talking about. From my marathon days carb loading means you deplete yourself of all carbs for a couple of days then max out on carbs the day before the race to load up with max fuel for the run. That is fairly radical but not what I was talking about.

Here is my typical health diet day:
    Breakfast; greens, some fruit, lean protein
    AM snack; soaked almonds
    Lunch; greens, lean protein, flax seeds
    PM snack; greens, avocado
    Dinner; cooked veggies, greens, lean protein

I guess this could be considered sort of a Paleo diet. But my emphasis is to eat whole foods and not eat starches, grains, sugars (except the natural sugars in AM fruit) or alcohol. Occasionally I will substitute a serving of gluten free grain (like Quinoa) instead of lean protein). When on a maintenance level my trainer suggests carefull amounts of gluten free grain or sweet potato at lunch and dinner in addition to lean protein but I'm not there yet.

About once a month I will take 3-4 days to go on a "normal diet". I call this carb cycling- for lack of better terms. This combo, as long as you are 100% adherent to the 'health' diet has worked miracles for me. It is not from a book or from a website. It came from my trainer who is also a Nutritionist. I'm working with her on a book about it.
  • mccollumse
    mccollumse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think I understand your question. How do you keep the diet and exercise from seeming like a job, that you HAVE to do or you are going to panic. I don't know......but I can certainly completely relate to your problem Curious to see what kind of responses you get. You are doing great!
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself that its ok to have an off-day. as long as it doesnt turn into an off-week, month, etc. :-) that's what i have to do! i am the same way. and i guilt trip myself when i fall off the wagon for a day. i also did P90X with great results and i know how you feel. you dont want to lose those results!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help...I'm obsessed too.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel -- I am totally obsessed. I won't go out to restaraunts, unless it's at a "healthy one", I bring my own meals everywhere and I work out every day. I am interested to hear people's responses.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    hide your scale
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There's 3500 calories in a pound. Once you are at your goal, you need to go pretty considerably over your goal (by "I'm aware of my food" standards) to gain an actual pound of fat.

Relax. Start weighing in once a week. Skip logging for a day or two at a time to build confidence in your ability to manage your food. Take the scale and mark a point 5 pounds over where you are today, and mark that "RETURN TO MFP". If you hit that mark, come back and start logging again.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED! =)
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I notice I am getting really...dependent on exercise. My dependence is non scale related...it relates more to the 'regulating' effect that exercise has on me. I mean it is like I get a 'high' from a good workout...so on rest/lower intensity days, I feel almost kind of depressed...then again, that is how I used to feel EVERY day!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Consitancy and don't be so hard on yourself. Perhaps look at your calorie goals on a weekly basis rather than daily, that way if you have a wedding to go to where you will most likely go over in calories you can save 50 calories here or there the day(s) before and after to accomodate. And whatever you do, do not step on the scale until at least 3 days after eating out at a restaurant or coming home from vacation. Why do we punish ourselves by stepping on the scale immediately when we know just what it's going to say?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Don't go chasing the next imperfection or set an absurd new goal. Just transition into a lifestyle that maintains or incrementally improves upon what you have already earned.

Man, you've arrived - you're at the best shape of your life, have or are close to having the body you always wanted - enjoy it!

Edited to replace "settle" with "transition"
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. I am getting more obsessed trying to ditch the last 20lbs of fat. I get anxiety just thinking about not logging my food or missing a workout. Eventually I will want to live life without constant logging and find that balance...
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What I mean is, I consider any sort of extreme diet (like Atkins, Paleo, etc.) to be sort of an unsustainable way to live - obviously when done properly they give extreme results, but I question the health impacts of things like this. Certainly Atkins could be argued to be a loaded gun for raising cholesterol. I just can't picture myself eating mostly protein for 3 or 4 days and then jacking up the carbs for 2 or 3 days. I think I would lose track quickly and screw it up.

I definitely like eating in a "normal" fashion (ie a mix of carbs and proteins).

OMG logic! I agree with you 100% and I think you should stick to a healthy sustainable diet.

Give yourself a little leeway to splurge or miss a workout. As long as it's occasionally, and not becoming a trend, you're fine. Being motivated is great, but you should be able to enjoy your life without too much anxiety over your diet and fitness routine.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed and sometimes have to make myself enjoy other things in life like family and friends. The best thing to do in these situations is eat right to maintain and be flexible with your workouts since it's your lifestyle now. I've been trying to get rid of my last poundage and it's a doozy but I will get it done.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I agree with cannonsky. Hide the scale. Try to not weigh yourself more than once every 3-4 weeks. Also, it is not a bad thing to go over in calories once a week or so. I have read several times it shocks your body in to burning fat more efficiently. Is it true ... dunno but seems to work for me. I have been hovering in a 3-4 pound fluctuation for 6-9 months now and I only worry about consuming enough calories, not about going over.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For me, the way I look at it is this is a LIFELONG change. If the things I'm doing (or not doing) can't be incorporated or maintained for the next 50-60 years than they probably aren't worth doing. For example I'm not going to not go out to restaurants for the rest of my life, so I still go out to eat; I'm not never going to eat ice cream again so I eat ice cream; I'm not going to drink juice for the rest of my life so I don't do juice detoxes, etc. I do see myself eating and drinking in moderation, having some form of exercise, and being nutritionally conscious for the rest of my life. There will be many holidays, special occasions, outings, and plain old cravings over the course of my life, the important part is not letting them take over. I think becoming too obsessive can also possibly lead to burnout. Good luck with your journey and I'm sure you'll find a balance between your obsession and everything else :flowerforyou:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I just role with the punches!! I know I am obessed, serious, focused...and all that about fitness.... The scale....I don't do it often....especially once reached goals because I want to focus on the lifestyle aspect more....and just watching my body change and the clothes fit.. Find your balance in this journey and you will be just fine...
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    For me, the way I look at it is this is a LIFELONG change. If the things I'm doing (or not doing) can't be incorporated or maintained for the next 50-60 years than they probably aren't worth doing. For example I'm not going to not go out to restaurants for the rest of my life, so I still go out to eat; I'm not never going to eat ice cream again so I eat ice cream; I'm not going to drink juice for the rest of my life so I don't do juice detoxes, etc. I do see myself eating and drinking in moderation, having some form of exercise, and being nutritionally conscious for the rest of my life. There will be many holidays, special occasions, outings, and plain old cravings over the course of my life, the important part is not letting them take over. I think becoming too obsessive can also possibly lead to burnout. Good luck with your journey and I'm sure you'll find a balance between your obsession and everything else :flowerforyou:
    [this site needs a like button so I don't have to quote the entire thing to say I agree]