IF! Questions for those doing this!

Options
I want to try IF but don't know if it's right for me. I'll give you a little background. I have bulimia and binge eating disorder so I wonder if this will mess with my screwed up already head. And I weigh 303 pounds which is fricken huge. I do very little exercise, one because I have bursitis in my hips so it hurts to walk, and two I really want to drop pounds first before I start exercising so it's not so hard on my body. Do you have to be doing body builder exercising? I want to do the daily 16 hour fast starting at 8 pm and ending at noon. So in that 8 hr window I have to eat, do I eat at my goal that mfp has set for me? I've got it set at losing two pounds per week eating around 1600 calories a day. I eat the majority of my calories at dinner time. Does that matter? What kind of meal should I eat to break my fast. I usually start my day off real slow with a 110 calorie EAS protein drink and work my way up to a big calorie dinner, eating about five times a day. Sometimes the big calorie dinners mess with my head, making me feel like I've binged even though I am under goal. And then I do binge. It has gotten a lot better though. Last year I lost 80 pounds with mfp but ended up gaining back 55. I have now lost another twenty so kinda feel back on track, but I feel I need a different way of eating and dealing with food. Any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I really want to try this. Thank you. Jacki.

P.S. Is it true that there is a recommendation that women can do a 14 hour fast?

Replies

• alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    IF is not a good plan if you have an eating disorder. I strongly suggest you get professional help (if you haven't already) for your ED, and then evaluate (ideally, with your doctor/nutritionist) as to whether IF is right for you.

If you are just interested in getting more general info about IF and different IF programs, here is a good post to start with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/599982-intermittent-fasting-faq

Best wishes!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have bulimia and binge eating disorder
    I can't see IF working with this. I know a couple of people who do IF and they may take over 24 hours off food - ie restart with breakfast the day after - or just under 24 and have dinner again the enxt evening.

I can't see how you're going to manage the size of the meal after an extended period without food. You could get similar calorie intake benefits by using 2 or 3 meal replacement shakes a day and one good meal.

You don't have to be exercising or body building. It's all about self control.